Hi there! I’m new around here and I got a question I can’t find the answer online to. I ordered my first bike and I bought the equipment I need. I’m a bit concerned about the helmet. It fits well on the top of my head and around, but when it comes to the lower part, it doesn’t cover my chin and the back of my head very well, it sort of doesn’t reach low enough. I have an oval face but nothing out of the ordinary. Is that ok? Thank you!

I ordered it online.

Hi and welcome to the forum

Ordering online for helmets is a big mistake!

All helmets fit differently and some helmets don't fit certain head sizes.

The fit of a helmet is the most important thing! if it doesn't fit right it can do more harm than good in the event of a spill

I ordered it online.

You did what !? Can you send it back and then go to a reputable shop to try on a range of different makes of helmet to get the optimum fit ? Ooops , I just jumped in without reading all the posts .

One of the reasons I quit being a helmet salesman was that everyone would come to the shop , try on every helmet we had while I offered my expertise and then , having found the perfect fit , f**k off and buy it cheaper online .

That's why the high street is taking a hammering. If you can't compete price wise with the online market you are screwed. A place I go is Motolegends and they are mainly online but have a good shop as well, attached to their warehouse. They guarantee to match anyone's price so are pretty good. It must be difficult if you can't match the cheapest prices and I guess why so many do go out of business.

That's why the high street is taking a hammering. If you can't compete price wise with the online market you are screwed. A place I go is Motolegends and they are mainly online but have a good shop as well, attached to their warehouse. They guarantee to match anyone's price so are pretty good. It must be difficult if you can't match the cheapest prices and I guess why so many do go out of business.

And that's exactly what happened .

• 2 weeks later...

To be honest its not so bad in today's market with companies like Sportbikeshop which offer free returns on helmets so you can keep testing until you find the one but only if you have the time or if possible buy 2 at a time. Otherwise go to a shop and pay the extra £20 and enjoy the ranges and the staff support they offer.

I buy my helmets online from them and before I purchased my Arai I tried a few models out, Bell, Shoei and X-Lite. As long as it is snug with no major movement up down left and right, no pressure points (sore red marks) after wearing it watching TV for as long as you can (I always go for an hour) then its ok. Just don't take off the visor plastic wrap with all the logos etc they will take it back.

Loads of videos out there tell you how they should fit or get a knowledgeable mate to watch you try them on. Most of the brands will say what head shape they usually fit for and that just involves taking a photo of the top of your head in a mirror or a partner and off you go. Helmets always give a very small amount after break in and most lids now have removable pads either in the cheeks, temple or both to get the fit just right. So if the cheeks pads are making you chew your cheeks but the crown fits perfectly snug then you could possibly remove the 5mm adjustable to make them fit.

If you are going for a headset that's when it becomes tricky as not all lids have the pod cutouts for the speakers so they could end up being very uncomfortable if you aren't careful or a close chin guard which means the mic is pushed up against your teeth.

But if in doubt go to a shop as they are always helpful!

Hi there! I’m new around here and I got a question I can’t find the answer online to. I ordered my first bike and I bought the equipment I need. I’m a bit concerned about the helmet. It fits well on the top of my head and around, but when it comes to the lower part, it doesn’t cover my chin and the back of my head very well, it sort of doesn’t reach low enough. I have an oval face but nothing out of the ordinary. Is that ok? Thank you!

Sorry , thought this was a new post . I've already said my piece .