What did you do to your bike today? (part 4)

oldgrump

Went for a ride to charge the battery. Didn't expect to arrive in Silent Hill!

https://i.imgur.com/3HUbbGf.jpg' alt='IMGUR>'>

https://i.imgur.com/QV334IE.jpg' alt='IMGUR>'>

And then this magical thing happened!

https://i.imgur.com/VTxcOdP.jpg' alt='IMGUR>'>

https://i.imgur.com/EyHYDka.jpg' alt='IMGUR>'>

Hehe.

Where is this pleaseTaa

I wrecked our last dishwasher putting a cylinder head in it. My biggest boo boo was taking an angle grinder to a rusty old car and forgetting to shut the door between the garage and the house. Everything was covered in a fine red dust. I have no idea why she puts up with me.

Must have been on the way out, I have had cylinder heads, cams, followers, rocker covers the lot.

My tracer GT has been used all over the winter but I've wanted to do a few mods.

The handguards look the part but offer very little wind protection in the cold so I have purchased some extenders.

I was getting a lot of crud on the radiator and purchased a radiator cover.

I was aware the 800gt screen was possibly the one main gripe of most owners so ordered an mra Vario as most people race about how effective they are.

I have bought a rear hugger extender to avoid less road filth getting in the rear shock.

Finally a front fender extender to reduce the amount of road filth on the radiator.

These were all relatively cheap mods which with the exception of the front fender extender have now been fitted. The front extender will take a bit more time as I have to remove it along with all its cable retainers. The only other addition was a kappa 46l top box as when commuting in the winter I tend to leave the panniers off.

I'll update as to whether the additions have been worth the money etc. The top box I had installed with the bike in July and it's been great and was a lot cheaper than other makes and does the job.

Here are some pics of the additions...

IMG_20200103_104856.thumb.jpg.a3bb7d3c35a10b41698a98abc946edd6.jpg

IMG_20200103_104838.thumb.jpg.e429dc52a2d91854440a7c1f9652784a.jpg

IMG_20200103_104829.thumb.jpg.12b69c65ad41807ffd4cf1fab33dfb88.jpg

IMG_20200103_104809.thumb.jpg.df97136d7c046c08189f8c76eb1d2d6c.jpg

IMG_20200103_104752.thumb.jpg.fcdc85e56793a7db730c114904a0b69b.jpg

Looks great [mention]MikeHorton[/mention] but I have to disagree with the "relatively cheap" as You shouldn't have to pay anything for fender extenders etc, they should be factory fitted. It makes me rather cross. At what point did motorcycle manufacturers decide that machines intended for the northern hemisphere didn't need mudguards?

New adjustable / short leavers (why would you want leavers wider than your hand?), fuel system cleaner (its been in storage for ..... most of its life). Rode it in a straight life and opened the throttle (holy fork its dangerous!).

Washed two bikes and one car. Started at 10am. With a lunch break and a couple of brew breaks I finished at 5.30. Still got to lube the chains. Seems a long time. Highlight was cleaning stainless steel exhausts with autosol, and them looking better and better the more I used.

Looks great @MikeHorton but I have to disagree with the "relatively cheap" as You shouldn't have to pay anything for fender extenders etc, they should be factory fitted. It makes me rather cross. At what point did motorcycle manufacturers decide that machines intended for the northern hemisphere didn't need mudguards?

That's a very good point . You would think that a mud - guard would be designed to perfectly block the trajectory of the " Mud " that flys off the wheel . But more often than not it is designed purely as a cosmetic feature . Even my humble ER5 needs a huge fender extender to stop the radiator and oil filter becoming encrusted in shit .

Looks great @MikeHorton but I have to disagree with the "relatively cheap" as You shouldn't have to pay anything for fender extenders etc, they should be factory fitted. It makes me rather cross. At what point did motorcycle manufacturers decide that machines intended for the northern hemisphere didn't need mudguards?

I agree with you, but by more cost effective I mean I didn't buy the Yamaha parts I bought pyramid ones which look the part and cost a third of the price. Let's face it all manufacturers do this sort of thing now. You just have to be a bit more savvy when shopping around for these bits I'm afraid but you are right they should leave the factory with suitable length bits like that.

Washed two bikes and one car. Started at 10am. With a lunch break and a couple of brew breaks I finished at 5.30. Still got to lube the chains. Seems a long time. Highlight was cleaning stainless steel exhausts with autosol, and them looking better and better the more I used.

Mine had the autosol treatment too and looks much better for it, great product. Belgom Alu is a great product to use in the summer it's milder but offers a layer of protection

Fitted a thruxton r brembo master cylinder, all except banjo as it was a single grrrr...

Fitted over racing titanium frame braces :P

Waiting on the healtec quickshifter, been a busy winter so far.. added dynotec rev limiter and got the tail light professionally soldered as it was a cheap Chinese one and kept failing.

Fitted r and g bar ends.

Looking sweeet

IMG_20200106_181636.thumb.jpg.f50d22ac27349f69b80332fd90ca43d8.jpg

IMG_20200106_181613.thumb.jpg.e7ca7d578831ac1f138dd4b847caaf9b.jpg

IMG_20200106_172317.thumb.jpg.7d263e1d3708cc9d3010b08d37f26072.jpg

IMG_20200106_154611.thumb.jpg.0e290a0a6280488773e56cfd1b948955.jpg

Went to visit a couple of chaps in hospitals. On the second visit, a small local cottage hospital, the guy I went to see was in a men's ward with two other blokes. I don't think they'd had many visitors but when I arrived in riding gear they started to ask about my bikes.

Turned out they'd ridden bikes back in the 50s and 60s so we had a really good conversation. Then one of the nurses joined in because her dad had ridden back in the day.

It was a brilliant way to spend a dull afternoon and the chaps in hospital said they'd enjoyed it. The memories of their bikes made them feel much better.

Went to visit a couple of chaps in hospitals. On the second visit, a small local cottage hospital, the guy I went to see was in a men's ward with two other blokes. I don't think they'd had many visitors but when I arrived in riding gear they started to ask about my bikes.

Turned out they'd ridden bikes back in the 50s and 60s so we had a really good conversation. Then one of the nurses joined in because her dad had ridden back in the day.

It was a brilliant way to spend a dull afternoon and the chaps in hospital said they'd enjoyed it. The memories of their bikes made them feel much better.

Sounds like a great and rewarding day. I met 2 older bikers on Sunday at the top of Malvern one with an 18 plate triumph the other with a 1967 model they had a lot to talk about!

IMG_20200104_145049.thumb.jpg.8c35513e312011f903af66122622d7ab.jpg

IMG_20200104_145041.thumb.jpg.43b862ec43f17f1a26a2e1253d1f6a9b.jpg

Sounds like a great and rewarding day. I met 2 older bikers on Sunday at the top of Malvern one with an 18 plate triumph the other with a 1967 model they had a lot to talk about!

One of my favourite ride out destinations . A great selection of hot and cold batches ( Rolls , Cobs , Baps etc ) Fifty odd flavours of local ice cream and home made cakes to die for . Free bike parking and brilliant roads all around .https://images.app.goo.gl/AvYqNFNUH3QEgxieA

Edited by fastbob

Yesterday I jumped on the Kawasaki ready to leave for work as I do most Mondays, rode it to the top of the drive and it all turned off.. Wiggling the ignition switch did nothing. It was dead. Cue digging out the K100, heaving it to the top of the driveway (it's so very uphill) and.. It wouldn't start. I tried bumping it but it didn't catch. Tried the starter again and round it went, dirty brushes in the starter strike again! It needed some use, the battery is only now charged enough to stop the ABS light blinking, but boy was I knackered by the end of it.

A quick check of the Kawasaki reveals a big wire that goes to the ignition barrel has corroded and come away from the connector block, just like what happened a couple of years ago. This time I'll have to splice some wire in because I've had to chop so much out that it won't reach! Certainly they don't make 'em like they used to :roll:

I have a training day up near Wakefield on Thursday, I hope the BMW makes it!

Guest Richzx6r

Decided to change the n/s front indicator as its been dangling on the wire for long enough, all I need to do now is sort out the connection block as per the original which I'll probably get my local bike shop to do, then its back on with the nose fairing....and then I'm going to get out for a while and test the camera system like I have been wanting to do for quite some time now

Tried to get the dash on the 600 working properly. uncovered it and fired it up Monday morning only to find the digital clock was off (no digits), and the trip/odometer just displaying a row of dashes. when trying to get them to reset I found the clock had migrate.d to the odometer side :?: :?:

currently riding it without them working, so it wont have a true mileage reading for a while so will have to travel to my garage on Friday and see if I can fix it

Arranged return of Mrs new cbr after having fork seal and cam pulse sensor fixed, they're going to deliver it to my work Tuesday, so I'll have to ride it 1 mile home with an engine mount missing.

About to try and book it in with local mechanic to get the engine mounting welded.

Because it's super wet I didn't feel like taking the Mrs' old SV650 to work, it's just so jerky at low speeds, it's horrible to ride around town when it's slippery. The gritters haven't been out in a while so I've taken my Suzi to work instead.