Pre MOT Checks

anth_85

my vfr is due in for it's MOT at the end of the month. I've booked it in for the 20th. I am wondering what checks I should be doing in advance to make sure, as best as possible that it'll be fine. I'm fine for my car, but still fairly new to bikes. My current list is

lights- all work correctly

headlight beams looks roughly right

fork seals not weeping

tyres- good tread, even wear, no damage

brake pads and disks have plenty of life in them

horn - works correctly

chain - correctly tensioned

there doesn't seem like there is very much but then I'm not sure what else there is to check on a bike.

Steering head bearing play - I had my VFR 750 fail on that and a grumbling rear hub bearing on the single side swinging arm model.

VFR’s are generally good well made bikes with few problems though :thumb:

Fork seals , just put bog paper under the dust covers . You can add a bit of life to the tyres with a soldering iron but be careful not to go too deep . When the bloke presses the horn just put your hand over your mouth and go " Beep ". Of course , if you are on good terms with the MOT guy you can just have a chat and a cup of tea for 40 minutes and leave the bike outside . Take some biscuits , it can't do any harm . Good luck .

Fork seals , just put bog paper under the dust covers . You can add a bit of life to the tyres with a soldering iron but be careful not to go too deep . When the bloke presses the horn just put your hand over your mouth and go " Beep ". Of course , if you are on good terms with the MOT guy you can just have a chat and a cup of tea for 40 minutes and leave the bike outside . Take some biscuits , it can't do any harm . Good luck .

I don't know the MOT guy, do you think a bottle of single malt might help us have a chat and still leave the bike outside?

I don't understand why you wouldn't want the MoT tester to give your bike a thorough examination and identify any shortcomings which you can then get fixed ..... :roll:

we weren't being serious... The thread was done so I know what to look at before it goes in, I can, therefore, fix anything in advance making the MOT a simple matter of dropping off, passing, picking up. I don't want to be in a situation where I drop off, they find something, which is unexpected, unbudgeted for, and they can't fit it in for the work to be done for a few days.

• 2 weeks later...

new front tyre needed after 7k miles :( all good apart from that.

I thought a set of michellin road 5 would last longer. I can only guess the issue I've had with the sticky front caliper has had some effect on it.

That is low mileage for a tyre!!! Getting 12000 out of the fronts on my Vfr and 8000 + on rear.

Mostly 2 up with luggage!

Oh....I didn't think I rode that hard but I'd be more than happy to get 7k out of a tyre. Not sure what I do to them then.