Moterbike oils

Quackerzakieee

Ok will do bud going to have another look next weekend got alot I still need to do today so ran out of time for this week

No worries I'm just off to whip the cover off that old engine while it's still daylight .

Ok , done that, and as you can see there is some wear around the centre of the cover but none further out like there is on yours .I've grabbed the whole clutch and given it a good tug and I can feel no in and out movement at all . So if yours moves there's something wrong . You might do well to check all of the spring retaining bolts while you're at it .

IMG_20200112_152939357.thumb.jpg.36893601b61efdda4b1c6dc79688f3eb.jpg

IMG_20200112_153014832.thumb.jpg.09bae1b7c3cd1ffe84abc35b023bf14f.jpg

Cheers for the help fastbob there is a little play in the clutch so must be that

Ok , next move is take the six spring retaining bolts , pull all the plates and see if the big nut can be tightened up a bit .

Do you pull the clutch lever in when you start the bike?

Common fault on ZRX1200 and 100 leading to us buying chain tamers !

Worth a look.

Cheers

Ian

I usually tend to pull clutch in when starting bike but not all the time

What's a chain tamer ?

Do you pull the clutch lever in when you start the bike?

Common fault on ZRX1200 and 100 leading to us buying chain tamers !

Worth a look.

Cheers

Ian

I usually tend to pull clutch in when starting bike but not all the time

What's a chain tamer ?

They are fitted to the chain stay on pedal bikes to eliminate chain slap and help guide the chain. No idea what that has to do with motorcycle clutches. I prefer the excitement of dropping down into the lowest gear and discovering if I've still got drive or just a nasty crunch, a mangle of metal and a one way trip off the bike if I can't unclip my pedals in time. It's particularly interesting when that happens alongside a canal in deep mud.

Right , basically a lot of starter motor issues are resolved by simply giving the thing a good clean . To get yours off you can just unbolt it and lift it out BUT to put it back again you will have to remove the left hand engine cover so you might as well do this first. Lean the bike over and you won't spill any oil . Once it's out , undo a couple of bolts and it all comes apart easily. A load of black dust will probably fall out as well . You will need some 2500 grade wet and dry paper ( Halfords ) to polish up the copper plates ( Commutator ) Strip everything out and grease the bearings and gears . Make sure everything is in order and look out for things such as loose or cracked magnets or rough bearings . As long as there's a quarter of an inch of the carbon brushes left ( spring loaded blocks that rub on the copper bits ) you can get away without replacing them . Bung it all back together and it should be good for thousands of miles . This isn't a difficult job because you can bring it indoors and lay it all out on the table . Get a couple of cans of that cheap brake cleaner from the local bargain shop to blast away the filth . Unless something is obviously broken this will save a packet .

For anyone that owns a ZRX or ZZR and some GPZ models you might want to check out Kwicks chain tensioner mod.https://www.kwick.biz/product/tensioner-tamer-alternator-starter-chain-tensioner-fix/

No chairs or whips but if you had seen some of the damaged clutch baskets you would be talking to Pete who runs the company.

Cheers

Ian

For anyone that owns a ZRX or ZZR and some GPZ models you might want to check out Kwicks chain tensioner mod.https://www.kwick.biz/product/tensioner-tamer-alternator-starter-chain-tensioner-fix/

No chairs or whips but if you had seen some of the damaged clutch baskets you would be talking to Pete who runs the company.

Cheers

Ian

Am I reading that right? 55 notes for a small piece of aluminium, two nuts, two bolts, some loctite and cable ties?

Right , basically a lot of starter motor issues are resolved by simply giving the thing a good clean . To get yours off you can just unbolt it and lift it out BUT to put it back again you will have to remove the left hand engine cover so you might as well do this first. Lean the bike over and you won't spill any oil . Once it's out , undo a couple of bolts and it all comes apart easily. A load of black dust will probably fall out as well . You will need some 2500 grade wet and dry paper ( Halfords ) to polish up the copper plates ( Commutator ) Strip everything out and grease the bearings and gears . Make sure everything is in order and look out for things such as loose or cracked magnets or rough bearings . As long as there's a quarter of an inch of the carbon brushes left ( spring loaded blocks that rub on the copper bits ) you can get away without replacing them . Bung it all back together and it should be good for thousands of miles . This isn't a difficult job because you can bring it indoors and lay it all out on the table . Get a couple of cans of that cheap brake cleaner from the local bargain shop to blast away the filth . Unless something is obviously broken this will save a packet .

Cheers for the help Bob will be giving it a go tomorrow (weather permitting) :thumb:

Cheers

Ian

Am I reading that right? 55 notes for a small piece of aluminium, two nuts, two bolts, some loctite and cable ties?

AFits: ZX10, ZX11C, ZX11D, GPZ750r, GPZ900r, GPZ1000rx, GPZ1100, ZZR1100, ZZR1200, Concours, ZRX1100 & ZRX1200R, using Kawasaki Tensioner part #39170-1059. Check www.Kawasaki.com parts listings to check part number used on your Kawasakgreed it does sound dear but what annoys me is the number of models affected and how few people make the bits required to cure the problem.

AFits: ZX10, ZX11C, ZX11D, GPZ750r, GPZ900r, GPZ1000rx, GPZ1100, ZZR1100, ZZR1200, Concours, ZRX1100 & ZRX1200R, using Kawasaki Tensioner part #39170-1059. Check www.Kawasaki.com parts listings to check part number used on your Kawasakgreed it does sound dear but what annoys me is the number of models affected and how few people make the bits required to cure the problem.

I'm confused. You need the buy the magic part plus the tensioner?

I've not heard of this problem before. Considering I know quite a few bikers and have owned quite a few of the "affected" bikes over the last 20 odd years, I would have thought I'd have heard by now!

What is the problem anyway? Just a baggy chain?

No the problem is usually chunks being taken out of the clutch basket I will look for some pics for you it is quite astonishing how much damage can be inflicted.

I have personally removed oil filler caps and walked away from bikes with severe damage.

On the ZRX OC site there are some horrible stories of failiure !

I will have a look for ya.

Cheers

Ian

This one is mild ! Just popped "Clutch basket " Into search on a Kawasaki forum.

Strange happenings.

G'day folks!

Have any of you wise men ever spotted something like this before? This morning I opened up the oil cap on the crank case and I spotted this through the peep hole. Looks like hundreds of tiny little dinks around the clutch casing.

Anyone know what could have caused this? I only bought the bike recently so I'm unsure about when it might have happened. (See if I can get a photo to upload).

Grr Let me know if pic shows I will search for another !

1134460335_ZRXClutch.thumb.jpg.2bd466aff61505d3f8a04915947e2383.jpg

This is actually quite mild I will look for others if you wish but basically if you own one of the models mentioned in my earlier post I would be a little cautious and NEVER start the bike with the clutch lever pulled in.

Ironically several Suzukis require this lol.

My own 2004 ZRX is fine but I have a tamer in the garage ready to fit at the first sign of damage and I have been out in the van to rescue someone when the pressure plate had deposited so much swarf the engine seized so not all the same.

Cheers

Ian

I'm confused. You need the buy the magic part plus the tensioner?

I've not heard of this problem before. Considering I know quite a few bikers and have owned quite a few of the "affected" bikes over the last 20 odd years, I would have thought I'd have heard by now!

What is the problem anyway? Just a baggy chain?

I'm totally lost here . What's this thing got to do with this thread ? The starter chain on an ER5 is in the other side to the clutch.

Cheers

Ian

Hello , could you start another thread about this device . I don't see the relevance to the matter in hand . Thanks .

Guest Richzx6r

Cheers

Ian

Hello , could you start another thread about this device . I don't see the relevance to the matter in hand . Thanks .

Is see get a forum man of the year award and now he thinks hes got some new powers :roll: :lol: