Parent Place

Moonraker

Congratulations to you. The tiredness thing is real. Mine are 3 and 5 and I have not slept through more than one night on the trot for over five years. The thing about the tiredness is the impact on relationships. Things that might not have mattered too much really do when you are tired. Try to always give each other the benefit of the doubt.

There are steps where it gets easier, 6 weeks is the first, it will change, it will not always be hard in the way it currently is.

Sounds like you have the rewards already happening, it’s not only hard. Don’t be afraid to ask questions anonymously on Mumsnet. But do filter the responses. I found reading around attachment helpful. Reusable nappies are not as difficult as they seem if you have a tumble dryer.

Enjoy watching what you like on the telly whilst they don’t get it. I really enjoyed watching Pulp fiction with my daughter when she was about 12 months old when I realised she was starting to watch the tv so my last chance. CBeebies since then.

It’s okay tI it hard and not to.

That's good to know, thank you. We're really determined to be a team, which is working well so far.

We also read up on attachment. Having been in hospital for a few days we utilised the advice only midwives as much as possible. I'm a big fan of the baby carrier. It's been really helpful. The hospital loaned us a kangawrap while we were there. I would take kiddo in the wrap and go for a wonder or a cup of tea while my wife would sleep. It was great to have my hands free while walking around. I'll even sat and completed an essay while she was in the wrap asleep.

Yes, kiddo is subject to the rugby at the moment. However, overall the day seems to fly by quickly at the moment so haven't had much time watch it. We've had family visitors which has also taken time, but we've basically used a booking system with visitors now, to keep it in check :D

Oh and the more you put in the more you get out. In the first few months I got up every wake up and did nappy before my wife fed the midsized they see me as someone who meets their needs even though I have to go out to work.

Yep, team work makes the dream work and all that. All about this :thumb:

Congrats @Moonraker and Mrs Moonraker.

It does get better, it’s just the first 30 years or so. :wink:

Then she will get a bike of her own and you get to do dad and daughter ride outs. :cheers:

Thank you.

Ah, a long wait I see :lol:

Well to be honest I haven't been on my bike since she got pregnant essentially :cry: . I don't blame my wife - she loved being on the bike but appeared to have a mindset change when she got pregnant and how she is here, I'm "too precious to lose". This thought is influenced by news and multiple medical programs that show bikers being mangled in crashes.

However, I am optimistic that this will change and I'll get to have some leisure ride outs. :D

You can pillion a toddler, right? :shock:

NO..... that’s what panniers and top boxes are for. :D

Could you imagine?

Also, doesn't it need a netted part so the child can see the views? :lol:

Edited by Moonraker

Thank you.

Ah, a long wait I see :lol:

Well to be honest I haven't been on my bike since she got pregnant essentially :cry: . I don't blame my wife - she loved being on the bike but appeared to have a mindset change when she got pregnant and how she is here, I'm "too precious to lose". This thought is influenced by news and multiple medical programs that show bikers being mangled in crashes.

However, I am optimistic that this will change and I'll get to have some leisure ride outs. :D

You can pillion a toddler, right? :shock:

Could you imagine?

Nah. The little one will be asleep. Gently lulled by the motion of the bike. :thumb:

Congratulations.

Try not to give her a dummy, it can be difficult later to make her give it up.

Our eldest grandson managed without but that was down to his mum's will power.

Grandsons 2 & 3 both have them.

Don't be ashamed to get 2nd hand toys, they get through them at an alarming rate and what was favourite last week gets forgotten or trashed.

And they can also cost a fortune new.

Invest the time in going to baby groups or swimming, good for developing vital skills.

Get a height chart.

Don't waste money on expensive designer pushchairs. Daughter #1 paid £600 on one and it was a pain in the arse ,too bulky.She sold it after 8 months at a huge loss.

Buy a decent car seat, swivel ones make life easy.

2nd the not giving dummy.

Neither of mine had them I refused point blank, kids. Will mostly go along with what you do.

When they start getting ideas of there own no needs to be no, I could slap parents you here saying do that one more time, or wait till you get home, kids don't think in the future and if they know your a soft touch your dooooomed 😁

Could you imagine?

Nah. The little one will be asleep. Gently lulled by the motion of the bike. :thumb:

Now I look at the picture again it does resemble a crib :lol:

Congratulations.

Try not to give her a dummy, it can be difficult later to make her give it up.

Our eldest grandson managed without but that was down to his mum's will power.

Grandsons 2 & 3 both have them.

Don't be ashamed to get 2nd hand toys, they get through them at an alarming rate and what was favourite last week gets forgotten or trashed.

And they can also cost a fortune new.

Invest the time in going to baby groups or swimming, good for developing vital skills.

Get a height chart.

Don't waste money on expensive designer pushchairs. Daughter #1 paid £600 on one and it was a pain in the arse ,too bulky.She sold it after 8 months at a huge loss.

Buy a decent car seat, swivel ones make life easy.

Thank you.

Yea we don't intend to use a dummy, and I understand that long use of dummies can impact speech development.

Pram is already bought, it was pricey but the idea is it will last for a second child, which we hope to have as part of life plans. We do have an good isofixit car seat, not swivel but we are happy with it. It's a nice easy click button system.

Funnily enough we will be going swimming asap to get her use to water quickly. Nice bit of bonding too.

Height chart - ours will be a ruler, wife teaches children :thumb:

2nd the not giving dummy.

Neither of mine had them I refused point blank, kids. Will mostly go along with what you do.

When they start getting ideas of there own no needs to be no, I could slap parents you here saying do that one more time, or wait till you get home, kids don't think in the future and if they know your a soft touch your dooooomed 😁

My wife tells me I am a heartless robot and I've no issue with no means no. She works with children, I work with offenders and we have a 19 month old spaniel who we have to say no too often :lol:

Wife is wiite on the ball with things around parenting, she did child psychology, is head of safeguarding etc. She is a great, safe pair of hands. I'm lucky :thumb:

When she starts going to nightclubs (ie about nine years these days) and you're on dad duty, remember that IT IS NOT COOL to wait outside the club she is in. So at 3.00am on a wet, cold and windy night you should take a position in a doorway at least several establishments away.

She will not be out on time so you will be there for a while. During this period various people may make nefarious suggestions, seek to unburden you of belongings or assume to arrest you for loitering. Your best bet will be a Street Pastor who will at least offer you a lollipop.

In the meantime remember that the cardboard box the toy came in has 1000% more play potential than the contents thereof.

When she starts going to nightclubs (ie about nine years these days) and you're on dad duty, remember that IT IS NOT COOL to wait outside the club she is in. So at 3.00am on a wet, cold and windy night you should take a position in a doorway at least several establishments away.

She will not be out on time so you will be there for a while. During this period various people may make nefarious suggestions, seek to unburden you of belongings or assume to arrest you for loitering. Your best bet will be a Street Pastor who will at least offer you a lollipop.

In the meantime remember that the cardboard box the toy came in has 1000% more play potential than the contents thereof.

Lol!!

You seen the film Bad Boys? Can't remember if it was film 1 or 2 but the scene where the boy comes to pick up the daughter, and gets a grilling on the door .. that's what I envisage!!

We have thoroughly enjoyed and benefitted from slings. Stretchy sling for first few months, then a MaiTai then. Tula and finally a toddler Tula.

I used a KangaWrap at the hospital and we have an ergo baby carrier, which is great!

Lol!!

You seen the film Bad Boys? Can't remember if it was film 1 or 2 but the scene where the boy comes to pick up the daughter, and gets a grilling on the door .. that's what I envisage!!

Rather the opposite. The local lads used to stop me in the street to ask if our daughters were going out with someone, which they always were. And then the soft muppets would ask me if they could be considered for the waiting list! I told them.... Guys, if you think like that they'll eat you for breakfast. I had to protect the lads from the girls.