Breakdown cover for older bikes

fifthwheel

Hi all, just bought a mint low mileage Yam Fazer fzs 600 from 2003.

I was thinking I might tour parts of France and Spain later this year.

Can anybody suggest a company that covers bikes as old as this for breakdown.

I am with Green Flag for my cars but they seem to cut off at 15 yrs old.

Should I just go without and wing it? Thanks john.

PS the bike has only done 12000 miles.

A question that many have asked and there aren't many good answers! The best way is usually to get it through your insurer, but I do wonder if a travel insurance broker like these guys could cover you with their EU breakdown cover?. They might even do you a deal if you have travel insurance from them as well..

Not going to try and sell you anything

Advice is READ ALL TERMS AND CONDITIONS regardless of who you go with .

Most euro cover policies have the clause that if they deem recovering your vehicle costs more than the market value of your vehicle it will not be recovered ( you and passengers will have transport arranged for your return but your vehicle stays )

When is your insurance up for renewal.. I know for a fact that Carole Nash does not put any age restriction on bikes they insure and their (included with TPF&F and FC policies) European rescue is top notch. I had to call them from Austria and they arranged everything. Going so far as to source the part I needed by calling various dealerships. Once a donor bike was located I was transported to that dealership.

CN isnt the cheapest insurer.. but for peace of mind, especially across the channel, they are fantastic.

Green flag covered my bike and it was 20 years old. The policy was through mayday with the caravan club. Don’t know if that made any difference.

But I didn’t take it abroad.

Not going to try and sell you anything

Advice is READ ALL TERMS AND CONDITIONS regardless of who you go with .

Most euro cover policies have the clause that if they deem recovering your vehicle costs more than the market value of your vehicle it will not be recovered ( you and passengers will have transport arranged for your return but your vehicle stays )

Very good advice Tim, :thumb:

I know times have changed over the years but has anybody on here actually had a bike recovered back from Europe back to their home address in the U.K., and I wonder how things will change after the Brexit implementation period expires in less than a year. Pre EU there were restrictions on the bringing vehicles into the U.K. unaccompanied by the owner.

The one time I did was in 1981. My bike was a 2 year old BMW R100 which was covered by AA 5* all inclusive warranty through the supplying BMW main dealer. It suffered a gearbox problem (ended in no drive at all in any gear), just in Spain. Due to the isolated location no local local garage or bike shop would touch it and just suggested it should go to Paris. The AA collected the bike two days later and I was provided with a Renault 5 hire car to use to get me home. After I got back I enquired as to where my bike was and was told it was being held by customs pending the submission of the correct import forms. To cut a long story short it was a right pain in the :booty: and took nearly 2 weeks of “discussions” to get it released and the bike was in a right state.

• 3 weeks later...

As said, most policies will be limited by uk market value of the vehicle. That means, if market value is £1000 and it will cost €2000 to repatriate, they will say no. They won't pay the first €x and let you pay the rest, it's just a flat no, your on your own.

Also, the vehicle must not be beyond "economic Repair"

The only exception I know of is RAC Comprehensive Plus cover which has no such limitation. It also has unlimited call outs abroad.

Whatever you chose, read the T&C's fully. Most people don't and then shout and cry about what a victim they are.

Take responsibility.

Depend on what breakdown you have. I did have to repair my old Kawi few times during touring and was cheaper than transport it back and repair it. Labour in some Eu countries is cheaper than in U.K. plus I continued my touring.