electrical gremlins

billy sugger

HI all. My bike, a Honda CBf600sa-8 (2008 model) has a dash with two little lcd displays in it, one is a clock (if you look at a pic it is the rh one), and the other is a combination odometer/trip display. Since last Monday the clock display has been blank and the odometer/trip just a set of dashes, and it now has a clock setting on it, though never had before. I removed all the front fairing this weekend to look for a faulty connection or something, but could find nought wrong. I sprayed all connections with cleaner, there were no loose connections and most of the wiring and connectors were in a good clean condition.Anyone any ideas what has happened? my Haynes wiring diagram is basically useless, as it just shows a box with "instrument panel" in it and 16 different coloured wires going into it, but no explanation as to what goes where. The right hand reset button (two little buttons bottom centre of dash) normally sets the clock and activates the HISS anti theft( for programming a new key), and the HISS warning light that flashes when ignition is turned off is also off.

This has got me well and truly baffled

Take the whole unit off and stick it on top of a radiator ( central heating variety ) for a day. Sounds like moisture has got in .

Does submerging it in rice or something not also help with drawing out moisture?

I think that might apply to phones but I doubt that would do much good with an instrument console because it has too many internal cavities .

Guest Richzx6r

Does submerging it in rice or something not also help with drawing out moisture?

I think that might apply to phones but I doubt that would do much good with an instrument console because it has too many internal cavities .

Ahh ok that's where iv heard it used :thumb:

If it's left in there long enough then the rice should sap the water out of it.

Proper desiccant would work better mind.