Trim clips - who thought that these were a good idea?

Beans

Removing the rear cowl from the biffer to investigate the charging problems. Stupid trim clip, couldn't for the life of me work out how to remove the bast*rd thing. Tried to work around it hoping it would stay in and somehow the bloody centre of it has disappeared onto the floor. How do you find replacements, do I measure it and go to halfords? Do I need special tools to remove?

Its about 10mm long, 12 mm wide with a 5mm hole

Halfords May have them but they are available on line.

To remove them you push the center pin right through then the claws on the back will close and let you pull the clip out.

To re fit put the centre pin into the hole BUT not all the way in. Then push the clip into the holes and when the clip is fully in THEN push the pin all the way in.

This pushes the claws out and locks the panels in place.

They are a swine. Got them in the rear panel on my bike and had to remove 4 to get at the rear light unit. Have fun refitting. :thumb:

Its about 10mm long, 12 mm wide with a 5mm hole

Halfords May have them but they are available on line.

To remove them you push the center pin right through then the claws on the back will close and let you pull the clip out.

To re fit put the centre pin into the hole BUT not all the way in. Then push the clip into the holes and when the clip is fully in THEN push the pin all the way in.

This pushes the claws out and locks the panels in place.

They are a swine. Got them in the rear panel on my bike and had to remove 4 to get at the rear light unit. Have fun refitting. :thumb:

Spot on and good description of how to fit the little buggers !

I buy packs of them from Halfrauds as they have a nasty habit of breaking !

Cheers

Ian

How do you get the middle bit out? There is nothing to get hold of

You push the centre in :thumb:

How's that going to work? The middle bit is flush with the outer bit. It can't go in.

How's that going to work? The middle bit is flush with the outer bit. It can't go in.

Pretty sure they do Beans, I've had them on a few things.

I think the trick is to believe it's going to happen and apply increasing pressure to the middle bit. If all goes well then the middle bit should move through the main body, allowing you to lever the whole thing out.

I guess you could get a Stanley blade behind the flange and chop the top bit off if you're desperate.

How do you get the middle bit out? There is nothing to get hold of

I use a thin punch. Place it on the middle pin and give it a tap. It goes right through and out the back. Annoyingly this usually means you lose the pin.

I use a thin punch. Place it on the middle pin and give it a tap. It goes right through and out the back. Annoyingly this usually means you lose the pin.

You don't push them all the way out!!

You just pop the centre in and they are then free to remove

You don't push them all the way out!!

You just pop the centre in and they are then free to remove

Tried that [mention]Stu[/mention] and the little buggers often fall out as you prise the rivet out. :roll:

Usually manage to find the pin again though. :thumb:

I find it's hard to tell when it's pushed through enough to ensure the clip is loose enough to extract without doing damage so I always push them right through. That way the jaws of the clip are free to fully retract.

I buy them in boxes so I'd rather replace the clip than risk cracking anything fragile.

I've always removed these by using a small/thin flat head screwdriver and pushing it under the center-pin (where the two heads meet). You can then pull the center-pin out about 0.5cm with either the screwdriver or your fingernails, after which the whole thing should just slide out.

--edit--

Ahh I see by the video now that you're talking about something entirely different. Never come across those before. From the original picture it looked like the ones where you pull out the center-pin, rather than the ones in the video which you push through. Those things look to be a right pain.

I've always removed these by using a small/thin flat head screwdriver and pushing it under the center-pin (where the two heads meet). You can then pull the center-pin out about 0.5cm with either the screwdriver or your fingernails, after which the whole thing should just slide out.

--edit--

Ahh I see by the video now that you're talking about something entirely different. Never come across those before. From the original picture it looked like the ones where you pull out the center-pin, rather than the ones in the video which you push through. Those things look to be a right pain.

I think that you are right. That's why I don't understand these guys when they say push the middle in, it won't push in because of the head on it. It will only come out, but there is nothing to get hold of

--edit--

I think that you are right. That's why I don't understand these guys when they say push the middle in, it won't push in because of the head on it. It will only come out, but there is nothing to get hold of

Ahhh, I thought so looking at the original image. So much so I had to watch the video to see what everyone else meant!

Yeah, it's hard to get these out without a blade or very thin flat-headed screwdriver, Just push it in there between the outer-head and the inner pin-head and it should move out quite easily. then you can pull the whole thing out.