WOW I've just had my eyes opened.....

Went through the same process a few weeks back, but with a slightly tighter budget!

Lid - Shark S500 in "kin hideous" I think the colour scheme is called £100

Gloves - Frank Thomas things with bits of carbon fibre - defiantly summer weight though (I didn't want anything too thick whilst I was getting used to the controls. £45

Jacket - RST something-or-other from a couple of years back, reduced from £160 to £90 - not bad for a leather jacket with Knoxx armour in it I thought!

Total spend (part 1) £235.00

That was where I stopped for the CBT part since I already have some deeply tasteless leather trousers (Held, leather lace up side jeans - cost about £120 from Germany about 10 years back... but they are solid! One of the benefits of being a former Gothic Rock God!)

Decided that my leather jeans were a little too tasteless for the test, the examiner may fail me on grounds of fashion and decency (they are tight, and always succeeded in finding accomplices for after gig party extra-curricular activity)... so I picked up some RST erm... part leather and part fabric no idea the model... trousers off eBay. Again, knoxx armour at the knees and just some basic padding on the hips. They should zip into my jacket, but the zips are slightly out of alignment, but for £35 I can cope!

Thus far I have been riding in old German Army Parra Boots, which seem to have been doing okay. But whilst perusing eBay I came across some Sidi Raptors, which were brand new (old model) and identical to some that I tried on in J&S whilst abusing the credit card initially... but backed away from as they cost loads and I had spent as much as my wife was willing to accept! She did declare them pretty damn sexy though, so £75 on eBay, job's a good un!

So that's me - fully kitted out for £345 with some reasonable kit, if not top drawer. Spare pair of leather trousers already... but I am thinking that some proper RST zip in leather trousers are the next purchase, and then probably a set of winter gloves and a fabric jacket. Alas the helmet that taste forgot will have to be lived with for a couple of years yet (though if I get out to visit my mate in Australia and we plan on some riding I may leave it at his as a holiday lid, and get something tasteful when I get back again!!!)

Just thought I would post up to show that it doesn't have to cost an absolute fortune... even with some decent leather trousers thrown into the mix I am still going to be looking at the right side of £500!!! Which is just as well as I paid for the lessons and test around the same time, and am starting to plot bike shopping should I pass at the end of the month ;-)

Lid = Nitro N800V = £69 (4* Sharp test)

Jacket = Hein Gericke PS Blouson - so so good, really really rate it and love it = £79

Gloves - local bike shop leather armoured - non-branded = £30

Boots - J&S Swift - great, love the slightly moto-x styling = £40

= 218

Yeah - I love the MX styling too... which is why I wound up with MX boots ;-)

I may keep using the Parra Boots until I get through the test, and then start trying to ride in the things, though I don't recall the ones in J&S being that stiff so they may not cause me any real problems....

• 11 years later...

you will be able to get full gear for 200 notes, but i wouldn't

After less than 2 years I am on my second set of kit partly for this reason. I would start by asking the question "what am I riding, when, and where? If you have the luxury of only riding in fair weather you don't need to invest in water proof gear. You might buy something for summer and only need to wear a shell over the top. For slower riding you can even buy external pads to wear on top of other gear. (popular in India). If you're delivering pizza, that might be the way to go.

If you're buying a 100mph bike you need to be prepared to crash at 100mph. I don't think there is such a thing as starter gear. Protection from impact, abrasion and weather costs money. Money saved will be money spent twice.

If you're buying a 100mph bike you need to be prepared to crash at 100mph.

If you crash at 100mph.. you will probably not survive.. unless you're on the track and even then watch out for the cleverly positioned Bus Shelter. or tree. or something else ready and waiting to give you an unhealthy dose of blunt force trauma.

If you're buying a 100mph bike you need to be prepared to crash at 100mph.

If you crash at 100mph.. you will probably not survive.. unless you're on the track and even then watch out for the cleverly positioned Bus Shelter. or tree. or something else ready and waiting to give you an unhealthy dose of blunt force trauma.

First Saturday of Feb 78......Jersey Marine, Swansea......Suzuki GT750 tank slapper at 110mph.

At the last second I got it into the centre of the two lane dual carriageway......which probably saved my life as my momentum was going straight ahead, and the hazards (lamp posts) were at the side.

I must have flipped and bounced about 100 yards......similar feeling to being on the Waltzers with the whipping motion.

Actually came to a stop in the left gutter.....so taking the centre of the road proved to be critical. If you notice any of my vids.....I'm always in the centre (unless there's traffic on the other side of course).

Had a ride in an ambulance though........and suffered the humiliation of my ripped clothes removed by an effeminately gay male nurse.

That was a worse experience than the tank slapper!

Released after examination with just superficial cuts and bruises......no injuries as such.

But I agree with your assessment.......you'll probably not survive! I was just one of the lucky ones......my Guardian Angel was with me!

He/she was also with me when I was involved in two cars I was driving getting written off......they were literally in bits with wreckage everywhere. One was bent like a banana and still running......I tried to drive it and it just went round in a circle like a dog chasing it's tail! :lol:

In both cases I walked away without a scratch. Again.....I was one of the lucky ones! So don't try this at home!

• 4 weeks later...

Its interesting that crashes survived seem to amuse us and we compare horror stories !

I have a few of my own having been doing this crap for over40 years now.

But good kit is so important and idiots that are happy to whip round town in shorts and sandals really make me shudder.

I am happy to admit to not being the most speed limit aware person in the world but I have seen and experienced enough to regard these people as twats !

Cheers

Ian