Is this a reasonable price for a tyre change.

James in Brum

I just paid 145 pounds for someone to come to my house and fit a new Michelin Road pilot 2 tyre. I needed to get it done and so don't mind that I paid it, I just want to know if I have paid for the convenience through the nose. How much do tyre changes cost? what about having it done at home?

Was it with loose wheels or did the wheels have to be removed from the bike.

Depending on which bike, mine is an FJR, my local dealer charges £30 if I ride in and £0 for loose wheels, so it looks like you paid £110 for them to come to you.

If you think that is good value then all is fine.

Your tyre from Sportsbikeshop costs £108 so assuming you paid that then a mobile service will have cost you £37 and thats about what I would expect. for 'mobile'.... with everything done for you, which is probably the most expensive, but often the most convenient (if you dont have a car) way to do it.

HI both. Yes it included the tyre, them coming to my home and fixing it for me. Wheel was on the bike when they got there and is back on now they have gone but with new tyre. It meant that it could be done whilst I was at work which was important and it was flat so it meant not having to ride it flat or try to pump it up with a foot pump.

Seems that I got a reasonable deal.

it depends on the size i guess. Blackcircles list them as £85 to £115 depending on size. So the extra on top is the charge for the labour. If your size would have been on the lower end I think it's expensive, but if it's the £115 one then £30 for them to come out, remove the wheel from the bike, fit the new tyre then put the wheel back on is probably about right.

Well let's put it this way, I used to ride into Wheelhouse Tyres at Coleshill and ride out with a set of Michelin Pilot Road Threes on the GSXR for £200 . So £145 for one tyre seems a bit steep but I suppose the fitter has got to pay for the upkeep of a van . The thing is , you've now got one new tyre and one old tyre so presumably from now on you will be constantly having single tyres fitted . Much better to bite the bullet and get a deal on a pair of tyres . I'm going to start the summer with a new set of Avon Cobras at £257 fitted because fitters like to charge more for Harleys .

I'm going to start the summer with a new set of Avon Cobras at £257 fitted because fitters like to charge more for Harleys .

Well, you would, wouldn't you.. I mean. you are trained to change and balance a tyre on a bike and then someone arrives on a Harley.

you can either look confused.. or add a few quid to the bill to compensate yourself for the trauma. (or both) :mrgreen: