What did you do to your bike today? (part 4)

oldgrump

I thought this game had been banned, something about acid in people's faces??

https://i.imgur.com/uFYMXCn.jpg' alt='IMGUR>'>

The ebay listing literally says "Sealed maintenance free motorcycle batteries are now supplied pre-filled".. I ain't gonna say nuffin'. New battery is now in bike, holds a voltage of ~12.2v when the ignition and headlight is on, should be awwwright. Could go for a quick test but it's a bit cold out and I'm a soft millennial :cry:

I thought this game had been banned, something about acid in people's faces??

https://i.imgur.com/uFYMXCn.jpg' alt='IMGUR>'>

The ebay listing literally says "Sealed maintenance free motorcycle batteries are now supplied pre-filled".. I ain't gonna say nuffin'. New battery is now in bike, holds a voltage of ~12.2v when the ignition and headlight is on, should be awwwright. Could go for a quick test but it's a bit cold out and I'm a soft millennial :cry:

Interesting , I thought so too . The last battery I bought from Tayna Batteries arrived pre filled . Oh well , you know that yours is freshly filled . Have you stuck yours on a charger to condition it ?

Have you stuck yours on a charger to condition it ?

Yep, it took about 2.5 hours for the light on the Optimate to turn green. So perhaps not strictly necessary but I feel better for it, plus it gave me an excuse to put off going outside for a bit!

Well I rode to work then rode home after being told my contract was being terminated then rode to a friend's garage and was told to go in on Monday morning to start with him

One door shuts and another opens !

Congratulations I hope it turns out to be somewhere you enjoy working.

Cheers

Ian

Well hopefully its the start of bigger and better things, Hermes was a complete dead end anyway unless you are a complete yes man and cant think for yourself which a lot of the drivers there seem to be, and it seems because I'm not afraid to use my voice if I see stuff happening that shouldn't be and my face didn't fit they're agenda so bugger them I'm better off out of there

I completely understand where you're coming from and I've been there myself a few times but it is a sad fact of life that no matter how helpful your intentions are , nobody wants to be told that there is a problem . The usual response is to turn it around and accuse you of being negative or to ask you to focus on what you think the solution should be . But very often the optimum solution would be to f**k off the incompetent c*nt that you're trying to complain to . The actual trick is to let it go , move on , and focus on achieving a good work / life balance . Work , get paid , spend your money on motorbikes and just waste what's left over .

Yep, it took about 2.5 hours for the light on the Optimate to turn green. So perhaps not strictly necessary but I feel better for it, plus it gave me an excuse to put off going outside for a bit!

Actually sounds very necessary if it took that long .

Actually sounds very necessary if it took that long .

I agree since they do 30 mins charge then 30 mins test cycles

So, been for a test ride with the new battery and it's charging at ~12.7v, dropping to 12.4v at tickover. Not happy with that so I disconnected the headlight again and it puts out 14v no problem. Changed the bulb in the hope it's gone a bit shorty but nope, back to 12.4v again.

Am I right that this likely means I've lost a stator coil? I've never had to deal with a charging issue before :crybaby:

I was planning on taking Xena out this aft but sadly not to be, i knew the battery was on the low side so i hooked up my jumpstarter to trickle charge the battery this morning, tried to start her after a couple of hours but not enough to get her going, anyway took side panels off to do a direct jump and she fired up no probs, so this afternoon decided to use my MM vat free voucher to invest in a decent charger/maintainer i ended up getting the clarke CB09-12 8A nice bit of kit as it will also maintain my leisure battery :thumb:

I was planning on taking Xena out this aft but sadly not to be, i knew the battery was on the low side so i hooked up my jumpstarter to trickle charge the battery this morning, tried to start her after a couple of hours but not enough to get her going, anyway took side panels off to do a direct jump and she fired up no probs, so this afternoon decided to use my MM vat free voucher to invest in a decent charger/maintainer i ended up getting the clarke CB09-12 8A nice bit of kit as it will also maintain my leisure battery :thumb:

Just wondering if that charger isn't going to be a bit too powerful for a bike battery? I have several chargers for my batteries ranging from leisure batteries to the bikes. I use a 0.8ah charger on the bikes after my 5ah smart charger fried one.

It may have a setting that winds it down of course, or you may only use it occasionally, so just kind of thinking aloud here. I've usually avoided using car chargers on bike batteries.

Just wondering if that charger isn't going to be a bit too powerful for a bike battery? I have several chargers for my batteries ranging from leisure batteries to the bikes. I use a 0.8ah charger on the bikes after my 5ah smart charger fried one.

It may have a setting that winds it down of course, or you may only use it occasionally, so just kind of thinking aloud here. I've usually avoided using car chargers on bike batteries.

It's a proper smart charger, it has seperate modes for bike,car, leisure, has a mode for calcium batteries and battery reviver, also capable of supplying a 12v 5a auxillurary power supply :thumb:

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke-cb09-12-8a-auto-battery-chargermaintai/

LED Selectable modes; Motorcycle, car, winter start, Calcium and DC output

Suitable for 12V Lead Acid batteries

Also provides 12V output including SLA, WET, AGM, VRLA and Lead Calcium

Power supply mode provides a 12V supply for powering appliances

Reverse polarity and overload protected

Includes battery clamp connectors, ring terminal lead and auxiliary power (cigar lighter) adaptor

For use with 12V lead acid batteries up to 160Ah

:thumb:

Rode to the beach for coffee and a cigarIMG_20200119_161044_428.jpg

that looks an expensive smoke :)

Was actually a Christmas present so didn't cost me nowt! Either way the coffee was free, fiver in petrol, cheaper than an afternoon on the beers, and no hangover.

Rode it to work, thought it'd be okay charging at 12.4v. Then I plugged my heated gloves in and it went down to 12.2v. Then it slowly fell below 12v, and by the time I got home it was at 10v :shock:

Pulled it all apart, high resistance between two connectors to the coil, ran it and it gives low voltage.. Stator time.

Get a new bike they said..

https://i.imgur.com/yvoQTUm.jpg' alt='IMGUR>'>

You won't need to fix it all the time they said..

Rode to the beach for coffee and a cigarIMG_20200119_161044_428.jpg

that looks an expensive smoke :)

Was actually a Christmas present so didn't cost me nowt! Either way the coffee was free, fiver in petrol, cheaper than an afternoon on the beers, and no hangover.

not wrong :)

Plugged a puncture in the rear tyre. Rode to work on a skittish bike so decided to check pressures. 12psi in rear. found a thin piece of wire right in the centre tread have now got frozen mud to contend with on the commute to work. Farmers should be made legally responsible for clearing up the crap they leave on the road because its bloody dangerous. A tractor came past going the opposite way tonight towing a slurry tank, and that left fresh mud and cow shit all over the road

Guest Richzx6r

Plugged a puncture in the rear tyre. Rode to work on a skittish bike so decided to check pressures. 12psi in rear. found a thin piece of wire right in the centre tread have now got frozen mud to contend with on the commute to work. Farmers should be made legally responsible for clearing up the crap they leave on the road because its bloody dangerous. A tractor came past going the opposite way tonight towing a slurry tank, and that left fresh mud and cow shit all over the road

Agree with that mate, it can be bloody lethal if you're not a local and don't know its likely to be there, but then that goes down to observation and riding to the conditions

They are legally responsible iirc. But still, keeps things interesting ey.

Yes they are, but the rainfall since September has been constant and the fields are saturated which is making it impossible to keep the mud off the road. I have a hose permanently connected on our driveway as the bike has to be hosed down every day.

The changing climate is probably why the next generation of tractors will look like this

ConceptXTractor_Kyoto2020.thumb.jpg.ffc2bd365294a58e2bf3bb708d2e0557.jpg