suzuki freewind

skyrider

Have a look at this

https://adventurebikerider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=45039&sid=a9a48a2155387dc3c3e35e7d8af241c9&start=10

If you are after a large single cylinder dual sport the older Aprilia Pegaso are quite good value for money. Took mine on the Trans European Trail in the Pyrenees in October and it handled all but the roughest sections ok.

Have a look at this

https://adventurebikerider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=45039&sid=a9a48a2155387dc3c3e35e7d8af241c9&start=10

If you are after a large single cylinder dual sport the older Aprilia Pegaso are quite good value for money. Took mine on the Trans European Trail in the Pyrenees in October and it handled all but the roughest sections ok.

yes i had a look at that site last night those two are both worth keeping in mind thanks

It was Suzukis answer to the Funduro.. an adventure bike before such things existed. why not indeed. They were rather good I believe. Certainly better than the Italian BMWs. Check if the rear shock is original as that was the weakest link. and may have been replaced.. if not then perhaps factor a rebuild into the price you pay. rebuild or replace.

i was looking at some on youtube and some of the presenters were very positive about them especially being a dual purpose bike and i like the idea of them being an oil cooled single cylinder and i think you can alter the ride height also, so one of those might be worth a coat of looking at as they say :thumb:

Mates got one.

Got it dirt cheap as it had a severe over fuelling issue, plus it looked like it had been well used.

Sorted the fuelling with new fuel tap & lines, plus properly adjusted the float heights.

He now has a perfectly running winter hack.

Well, not exactly perfect coz he has a compulsion to fit loud home made pipes on his bikes.

He loves it.

It looks extremely comfortable and practical . Not for me then .

one of them said on youtube that the seat was cushy and they got off as fresh as when they first got on so they cant be that bad and they said they are twin carb like the srx and they have a centre stand so handy for working on :D

Mates got one.

Got it dirt cheap as it had a severe over fuelling issue, plus it looked like it had been well used.

Sorted the fuelling with new fuel tap & lines, plus properly adjusted the float heights.

He now has a perfectly running winter hack.

Well, not exactly perfect coz he has a compulsion to fit loud home made pipes on his bikes.

He loves it.

think i might be forced to have a look at one :D

Nathan Millward used one for a while.

Same engine as the DR650 so robust in that department.

yes with japanese reliability, i have heard that the bm can be tricky to service

If you're talking about the ST/funduro being tricky to service not at all

This is a typical oil change

IMG_20200105_172326.jpg

:lol:

I'm kidding!

Drain plug is in the frame near the rad another is in the sump as normal and the filter housing is easy to get to

I think the newer f650 is a bit of a pain though

Mind you I reckon the desiger was having an off day when they drew up the plans for the XF.

Looks a bit boring. I'd still use one over a BMW though.

BMW's reliability isn't as good as it used to be.

I've had steering head bearings fail at 10k miles.

Never happened to a jap bike.

• 2 weeks later...

Had one for a while a few years back. Looks are an acquired taste. I have seen a couple customised to look more naked. I couldn't fault the comfort and performance though. It is a single cylinder so has the characteristics of a typical 'thumper'. Easy to service and look after. One thing to look out for is a neutral light that doesn't work. Mine didn't ... must have just happened said the seller so must be a bulb. Well no it wasn't the bulb and was a finnicky job to sort out. Neutral switch pin and springs popped out and ended up in the sump and a couple of other places! I managed to account for all the pieces eventually after using a telescopic magnet and Henry the hoover to get pieces out of the sump. There is a sump filter so the bits were not gonna come out through the oil drain plug.

Yes got it sorted. Another problem while sorting it was a screw snapping on the case cover! Tried absolutely everything but ended up drilling out and re-threading. Thinking about it now the sump bolt had been cross threaded too and that needed re-threading as well! Have a look at this link. https://www.ludd.ltu.se/~joshua/xf650/xf650.html