Your advice please

rightstuff

I might be old but new to bikes looking for my first bigger bike only had 125 till now I've been offered a 52 plate honda cb600 hornet it's only done 950 miles and looks like new the owner never used it preferred his car then a few years ago he died so his wife is selling it always been garaged all the paperwork in order it doesn't start so will need a new battery is it worth a punt or do I leave it not actually seen it yet she is looking at £1550 a bit of advice please

go for it , ideal first bigger bike , with them miles and if its like new its not out the way money wise, if you kept it for a year then sold it you'd get your money back and some :thumb:

go for it , ideal first bigger bike , with them miles and if its like new its not out the way money wise, if you kept it for a year then sold it you'd get your money back and some :thumb:

Spot on advice.

The kind of things that suffer from storage of that duration (providing it was dry?) can be easily sorted and still give you a great first bike and a potential profit if you decide after a year it`s not for you.

Cheers

Ian

Spot on advice.

The kind of things that suffer from storage of that duration (providing it was dry?) can be easily sorted and still give you a great first bike and a potential profit if you decide after a year it`s not for you.

Cheers

Ian

Hornets are not a bad buy but if only 950 miles it’s true, and it’s not been used for years there could be a lot of expense to factor in to recommission it (unless that’s already been done and included in the price).

Some years ago I was practically given a CBF 1000 that had been “stored” in similar circumstances. Just as a guide it needed the carburettors removed, ultrasonic cleaning and rebuilding and a new battery just to get it to run. Professional set up and balance of the refurbished carbs and oil service just to get it fit for taking for an mot. The tyres had deteriorated with the prolonged storage and also required two new tyres for the mot.

is it just cracking on the tyres I'd be looking for could I clean the carbs myself or is it a specialized job I suppose best go and have a look stick a battery on it or give it a jump stick some juice in it and see what happens

For what its worth before attempting to start it I would see if you can check that the old fuel supply was turned off whilst in storage and if possible remove the old (possibly stale and rank) fuel.

Also worth turning over using a spanner on the crank to check there is no kind of "locking" and no feelings of things coming into contact.

Good luck with it they have a good reputation for reliability and I am sure you will be fine.

Cheers

Ian

is it just cracking on the tyres I'd be looking for could I clean the carbs myself or is it a specialized job I suppose best go and have a look stick a battery on it or give it a jump stick some juice in it and see what happens

I wouldn't do that at all on a bike that has been standing for a long time . At the very least I'd take the plugs out , stick some oil thinned with petrol down the holes and then hand turn the engine to ensure it moves freely . Next job would be to run some injector cleaner through the fuel system ( not my area of expertise ) or possibly prime the fuel pump . I'll leave the details to those who have worked with EFI bikes . All I'm saying is that you could do a lot of damage in a few seconds if you just stick a battery in it and hit the button .

You could do that but agree with what fastbob said, my advice would be take a friend who has some experience of recommissioning old motor vehicles with you.

just bid her a grand for it , get someone with a van to get it for you, then mess about with it when you get it home :thumb:

Best advice yet - go for it :thumb: :thumb:

well I've gone for it still haven't seen it but getting to me on Friday it's my wife's bosses daughter that's selling it know him well so won't be caught will have a play in the garage with it next weekend and see what happens can't wait now till next weekend just one last question is it worth getting one of them lion batteries or stick with the normal lead acid whats your thoughts

Arrived home last night and the hornet had been delivered 903 miles on the clock not bad for a 50 plate better than I expected absolutely pristine not a mark on it just a bit of dust got the battery off put on charge will leave it now can't see battery coming up but day off tomorrow will get a new one and see what happens got to get my test done now Feb 3rd happy days

Arrived home last night and the hornet had been delivered 903 miles on the clock not bad for a 50 plate better than I expected absolutely pristine not a mark on it just a bit of dust got the battery off put on charge will leave it now can't see battery coming up but day off tomorrow will get a new one and see what happens got to get my test done now Feb 3rd happy days

Sounds good. If the battery was totally dead it may be toast. But really flat batteries won't take a charge on a standard charger. Check the voltage first. If it's below 12v then you need to first prime the battery using a very low input - I use a 500Ma gel cell charger. Once the battery has risen back to 12v it can go back on the standard charger.

Will get a filter in the morning not sure what oil it takes will try and find out got some 10 30 fully synthetic in doors might do

Check the oil as decent car oils have friction enhancers that don't do bike clutches any favours. Motorbike specific oils don't or cheaper car oils can be used in some cases.

1 where do you live . If being used anywhere in london check that its allowed into the ulez/lez zones

2.tyres are recommended to be changed if 8yrs old

I was speaking to a friend about the ULEZ thing and bikes, turns out you can pay to individually have a bike tested to exempt it from the charge and as they measure NoX bikes should mostly be fine, I will let you know how he gets on as hes got a 90s Kawasaki.

Most of this has been said but here's what I'd do:

1: pop a drop of fresh oil in the cylinder, take a look at the spark plug while you're at it.

2: Make sure it turns using a spanner

3: Drain fuel and oil.

4: Replace fuel filter, flush fuel lines & carbs etc. Controversial but pop in some redex with the fresh fuel. It works wonders on gummed up fuel lines. Make sure your fuel tank breather hose(s) aren't blocked!

5: Replace the battery

6: See if she starts

7: If not diagnose and fix

8: Drain and replace all other fluids, don't forget the brakes. Check the brake calliper seals while you're down there, I'd probably replace them regardless.

9: Grease moving parts, replace tyres.

10: Tax/MOT/Ride/Enjoy

Keep a close eye on your fork/shock seals.

I recon you've got yourself a bit of a bargain there. I'm excited for you and just a little bit jelly :cheers: