Rusty chinese cheese please?

jafman

Hello people.

I have a lexmoto venom that I am hoping to be selling on before summer (tests inbound) so obviously I want to tidy up the bike before selling on so it holds its value more and of course does the next [strikeout]sucker[/strikeout] new rider a good turn. The only real issue with the bike I cannot seem to rectify is the rusty exhaust.

It rusted slowly and surely (I ride every day more or less) and I did try ACF-50 applications but being the exhaust it soon seems to burns off, my next step was to remove the entire exhaust right up to the engine and give it a bit of a sand down and then spray paint it with VHT paint.( september time) The thing is the rust is just coming back through...

I do not have a pic of mine but here is a pic ( pulled off the internet so sorry if its your bike...)of the bike model showing the exhaust for reference (not sure what use that is) venom-stock.jpg

the rust starts at the engine and goes all the way along the pipe and right up to the silencer/end can cap. it looks more like this>(again for reference)

d8c0e11f549833cf3c1b0f70e9a4244f.jpg

So to cut this off before I get going on a novel what did I do wrong? do I need to engage some heavier duty cleaning on it with a grinder or something? is there a paint I need to prime it with before I use the VHT paint?

any ideas,advice,tips greatly appreciated and it must be known that i dont simply want to cover it up so it sells I want it to last a decent amount of time for whoever buys it ( long enough for me to move address...) :lol:

many thanks in advance

I use Toolstation VHT black paint on the downpipes of my ER5 and it dosen't rust like that . Don't use a primer , just give it coat after coat of VHT and remember to to run the bike up for a minute at first to start the curing process .

15795083763156034940403383816890.thumb.jpg.7029e965f6cfd9bf383dbb41eff71037.jpg

Having similar issues battling the tinworm on my YS125. Not surprising really, I didn't think Ching Chong Cheng quality mixed well with Highland winters but there you go. My fault for riding it through the winters. Noted the paint is flaking off the exhaust where it passes closest to the ground, think I need to get some of this VHT stuff to re-do it.

One of my friends just sold his Venom, he had the same problem.

He kept repainting it with all types of paints he owned it for just under 2 years.

He ended up wrapping the entire exhaust with heat tape, which made it look 1000x better as you couldn't see the rust!

HOWEVER, the problem with wrapping the exhaust is, that when it gets wet, the water sinks into the wrap, causing it to steam up and sizzle which made me panic riding next to him when theres a cloud of light smoke following the bike (only for the first few minutes of the bike being turned on)

Another thing is that this doesnt stop the issue. The rust will still develop, faster than without the wrap however at least you dont have to look at it.

This isn't a fix for the problem, think of it as a temporary cosmetic addition. (until either you can get your hands on a new down pipe or even sell it wrapped!)

Much appreciated gents. I reckon I will just repeat the process (sand and paint maybe BBQ...) close to sale, get it looking tidy and make sure the new buyer knows the exhaust is made of cheese.( after he bought it)

:thumb:

One of my friends just sold his Venom, he had the same problem.

He kept repainting it with all types of paints he owned it for just under 2 years.

He ended up wrapping the entire exhaust with heat tape, which made it look 1000x better as you couldn't see the rust!

HOWEVER, the problem with wrapping the exhaust is, that when it gets wet, the water sinks into the wrap, causing it to steam up and sizzle which made me panic riding next to him when theres a cloud of light smoke following the bike (only for the first few minutes of the bike being turned on)

Another thing is that this doesnt stop the issue. The rust will still develop, faster than without the wrap however at least you dont have to look at it.

This isn't a fix for the problem, think of it as a temporary cosmetic addition. (until either you can get your hands on a new down pipe or even sell it wrapped!)

Arrrgh , please don't even go there . If an exhaust is already prone to rust , wrapping it in soggy bandages will only accelerate the process .

Megawatthad the correct answer !

Wire brush on a drill is your friend and with bbq paint 3 or 4 coats if required!20160131_151806.thumb.jpg.093a814ce18eeb943b715dfd0191d443.jpg

Pic shows a set of 2004 ZRX standard downpipes treated in this way (for sale if sensible offers received lol)

Cheers

Ian

Wire brush on a drill is your friend and with bbq paint 3 or 4 coats if required!20160131_151806.jpg

Pic shows a set of 2004 ZRX standard downpipes treated in this way (for sale if sensible offers received lol)

Cheers

Ian

Never mind all that . What's that lurking in the background ? Ah found it .

2104830773_IMG-20161026-WA0004(1).thumb.jpg.b16f7dbe4fb4e819e5e3c98293087413.jpg

Wire brush on a drill is your friend and with bbq paint 3 or 4 coats if required!20160131_151806.jpg

Cheers

Ian

Never mind all that . What's that lurking in the background ? Ah found it .

Ahh Harriet the Harris !

Gone but not forgotten !

Please remind me not to let you loose in my photo album lol.

Let me know if you have any requests involving muscle fours , V twins or naked relatives lol.

Cheers

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

Lexmoto is best bang for buck but budget. Nothing wrong with that if the base metal is cheese, anything you coat it with is throwing good money after bad. If that's the only thing wrong with the bike, are there aftermarket pipes?

Lexmoto is best bang for buck but budget. Nothing wrong with that if the base metal is cheese, anything you coat it with is throwing good money after bad. If that's the only thing wrong with the bike, are there aftermarket pipes?

there are pipes just under £100 but to be honest I would be shooting myself in the foot if I were to buy one, would need an end can too probably £150 minimum unless I buy from a dodgy arab.

BBQ paint is on its way £10. :thumb: