Where should I buy oil filter, drain plug washer etc

James in Brum

Hello gang. I’m going to service my bike and I want to know where best to get the bits? I want to not spend a fortune but get quality or some compromise of the two?

Haynes says to change the oil filter and the washer on the sump bolt when I do it? I might also get a new air filter or clean the one I have whilst I am at it.

Appreciate your input.

Only use the finest Motul™ 5100 semi synthetic motorcycle lubricant. And only use the finest oil filters from HifloFiltro™.

Do not listen to anyone else. Get these from your finest eBay™ listing. Oh and definitely do not use car oil, you may upset someone.

For the drain plug use an online parts fiche to try and work out ahead of time what size sump washer you will need. Use only the finest fiches on cmsnl™.com. Order a copper washer or a Dowty(™?) washer in the correct size. If you order a copper washer you can reuse it many times by annealing it on your gas hob to make it pliable again, what for aiding the seal making properties of said copper washer. Dowty washers are reusable without the faff of the hob because they have a squishy rubber bit. Either ebay for these or your handy local hydraulics shop.

I said eBay for all this but I actually prefer going to my handy local bike shop as its a good laugh and the prices are the same if not better and can cadge a free washer normally if needed.

Sorry for putting it down so weirdly I'm bored at work, so close to finishing time but yet not quite there...

I have always bought genuine filters as they are no more expensive than aftermarket ones! at least you know its the right one for the bike!

As for oil read your manual and buy the oil the meets the spec set out in there

Hello gang. I’m going to service my bike and I want to know where best to get the bits? I want to not spend a fortune but get quality or some compromise of the two?

Haynes says to change the oil filter and the washer on the sump bolt when I do it? I might also get a new air filter or clean the one I have whilst I am at it.

Appreciate your input.

I think as most say internet is quite good for all those standard bits. Wemoto and ebay. I'm a big Smith & Allan oil fan a UK company, great quality oil I've posted on another thread about that. Ur in Brum I you have a valid passport hop over the border to the black country to West Midlands Motorcycle Centre he's got all the stuff you would need. Loads of great clothing and low prices and some great used bikes to take a look at some really rare pre 1940s stuff too. Local one man band who will get what you want if he hasn't got it. I saved a fortune on all my clothing there and not too far from you just by Merry Hill or Hell shopping centre

I've never bothered with a new sump washer ,I just put a smear of silicon sealer on it . Halfords sell them in a selection pack I believe , probably 12 or 14 mm on a bike .

I went to West Midlands motorcycle centre nice to buy from a shop when I can :-)

Even if I go for a browse I always end up buying something form there. I'm looking for a new helmet I went to j&s to try a few bit the staff weren't that great