to MT-07 or not to MT-07.

jafman

Hello folks. theory test coming up. expecting to pass A license by start of summer. Just want to explain the roads I will use regularly and see if this bike or another might suit?

Most of the roads I ride on (commute all weathers) are B roads that have sheep,cows, deer, badgers, hare (you get the drift) and sh1te and more sh1te and cattle grids etc. the latter part of the commute is a 60mph single lane dual carriageway. 75% of my riding will be on this route (20 miles 50/50splitt)

the rest will be wherever whenever and the thrice yearly 348 mile round trip to see my most amazing mum.

I currently do all of the above on the fried rice 125.

I am 6 feets and 16 stone. if thats relevant. I wont be buying new ( got 4.5k at a push)

I have tried a 2 stroke sports bike (NSR for a few hours) I have also had a few hours on a CB 400 super four ( that was nice) and also a rather short bum puckering ride on a zxr 750 from the early 90's ( I think the word I would use for it is wh0re but if thats too NSFW I apologise)

I also have knee issues so being tucked in and knees bent is a no-no.

I do like the idea of a triumph but the money...

So if anyone has ridden the mt-07 or indeed not. and can tell me if the bike is suited to such journeys or indeed for similar money what might suit better? i appreciate a jack of all might not exist.

TLDR: upright riding, dodgy roads, winter riding, short commutes, occasional long distance. ( I also want to grin)

many thanks in advance .

also how hard/easy are getting test rides from dealers?

Those roads sound exactly like my usual riding. For a working bike you can ride in all weathers, won't worry about it getting covered in mud, is reliable and comfortable, I went for an older Honda CBF500 (2006). They have actually risen in price since I bought mine. I suspect the older build quality is respected by people who want a working bike.

Nothing wrong with the MT-07, but you really need to ride a bike before making a decision.

Don't be put off by older / cheaper bikes. If they've been looked after they can be a good buy.

Mine has to be hosed down every day due to the rural roads where I live so from the description of your commute you need something with a good finish.

Guest Richzx6r

There are in my view much better bikes than the mt-07 for your 4.5k price range

Theres things like the early busa, Suzuki v strom, maybe a triumph tiger 800 ut will either be high mileage or low end spec

Off top of my head I cant name much more but these are all stuff I have been looking at recently

I second the Triumph Tiger and V-Strom options; either might work out for you. Or a Versys; you can pick up older ones at reasonable prices. There are some MT-09s that are just in your price range, too.

But as [mention]Mississippi Bullfrog[/mention] says, you need to try the bike out - or if they won't let you then at least go and sit on it - before you buy.

I have 2 local Yamaha dealers both were more than happy for me to test ride. The one dealer I have been visiting for a couple of years they have a great cafe and they are more than happy for people to take the bikes out even if they are not looking to buy. Like everyone says try a fee. I shortlisted the tracer 900, vstrom 1000 and BMW f800. It was only after the test rides I knew for sure which I wanted and my wife liked most. Make sure you test ride on the sort of roads you will be riding on most to get a fair representation and enjoy.

I had a YBR125 for a year then passed my test on an MT-07. I really liked it and came close to buying one but I test rode a kawasaki z650 and 2011 CB600F Hornet and the Honda just felt like. The perfect bike for me.

I do circa 9000 miles a year in all weathers and my hornet never let's me down (touchwood)

Just try a a few different bikes until you find "the one"

thanks for the advice gents much appreciated, thinking on with regards to testing bikes this might sound daft but is there a fee? what paperwork is usually needed and do the dealers cover insurance?

thanks again.

There's a simple answer to this!

Buy the bike you want :thumb:

As for test rides there's no fee but the excess is astronomical they usually require a copy of your licence

I want the one on your profile picture. :mrgreen:

I would usually recomended the v strom but as that's already in the list how about https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202001075888584?advertising-location=at_bikes&postcode=ne55by&model=NT700V%20DEAUVILLE&page=1&price-from=500&make=HONDA

It's a bit dull but it's shaft drive, lots of luggage space abs and Honda mostly reliability.

There are plenty of them and 80 to 90k mileages and way over are common, well within budget.

I am 6 feets and 16 stone. if thats relevant. I wont be buying new ( got 4.5k at a push)

So if anyone has ridden the mt-07 or indeed not. and can tell me if the bike is suited to such journeys or indeed for similar money what might suit better? i appreciate a jack of all might not exist.

Standing at 6 feet and over 17 stone, 'I ride an MT07'....There I said it.... :mrgreen: :thumb: I bought this bike for commuting (the GS is just too big for commuting) however I have fitted a screen, heated grips and chain oiler. The MT07 is a little belter, its quick enough for today's roads and it makes my commute great fun, its light and agile. I would have no problems doing the mileage you mentioned, however my knees are slightly more raised than on the GS. I have also had a 650 V Strom until I had a head on collision :crybaby: another great bike but also quite big/tall.

The MT07 for me is the size of a 125 but with 698cc added fun.

Go and test ride some and find out if which suits you best and enjoy :thumb: :cheers:

I would usually recomended the v strom but as that's already in the list how about https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202001075888584?advertising-location=at_bikes&postcode=ne55by&model=NT700V%20DEAUVILLE&page=1&price-from=500&make=HONDA

It's a bit dull but it's shaft drive, lots of luggage space abs and Honda mostly reliability.

There are plenty of them and 80 to 90k mileages and way over are common, well within budget.

a bit dull and its named after a town that has chic boutiques, elegant belle epoque villas etc.

the advice is most appreciated but I recon I would rather walk. :D

Standing at 6 feet and over 17 stone, 'I ride an MT07'....There I said it.... :mrgreen: :thumb: I bought this bike for commuting (the GS is just too big for commuting) however I have fitted a screen, heated grips and chain oiler. The MT07 is a little belter, its quick enough for today's roads and it makes my commute great fun, its light and agile. I would have no problems doing the mileage you mentioned, however my knees are slightly more raised than on the GS. I have also had a 650 V Strom until I had a head on collision :crybaby: another great bike but also quite big/tall.

Go and test ride some and find out if which suits you best and enjoy :thumb: :cheers:

thanks for the input most appreciated. any issues with the knees or seat for longer trips do you think?

Guest Richzx6r

The other option for a commuter is the Honda NC700/750. On paper a bit dull but the guys I know who have them love them. Very economical, comfortable and easy to live with.

I'd have to disagree with the last bit they are probably the dullest and most gutless bike I have ever ridden, I'd say a 125 has more to offer than one of them monstrosities

But each to they're own

thanks for the input most appreciated. any issues with the knees or seat for longer trips do you think?

The fuel range of the MT07 is anywhere between 120 - 160 so you would have to plan your route, seat is hard, but I believe there is a comfort option. After 120 mile, I would want a break and a stretch anyway. If your knees are bad, I think you may have a problem. Fortunately I don't find it that bad

The fuel range of the MT07 is anywhere between 120 - 160 so you would have to plan your route, seat is hard, but I believe there is a comfort option. After 120 mile, I would want a break and a stretch anyway. If your knees are bad, I think you may have a problem. Fortunately I don't find it that bad

Thanks for that info. I just had a look at aftermarket seat options and there are an abundance of options for raising the seat height and I could also take it to an upholsterer for extra foam and height. seems viable, best get my license done and book a test ride. thanks again.

Slightly :offtopic: and I only quickly scanned this thread so forgive me if already mentioned and I missed it. But whatever you go for, if it's your first big bike, and you're commuting on those kinds of roads, with little experience and 4.5k budget I wouldn't consider anything without ABS at least in your shoes.

Grabbing a handful of front brake in an emergency and the front tyre slipping is a very likely scenario, and with so little experience ABS will be worth its weight in gold.

Slightly :offtopic: and I only quickly scanned this thread so forgive me if already mentioned and I missed it. But whatever you go for, if it's your first big bike, and you're commuting on those kinds of roads, with little experience and 4.5k budget I wouldn't consider anything without ABS at least in your shoes.

Grabbing a handful of front brake in an emergency and the front tyre slipping is a very likely scenario, and with so little experience ABS will be worth its weight in gold.

very sound advice. thank you.

Guest Richzx6r

We used to do alright without abs in the good old days....

Even inexperienced riders though will admit it was usually learnt the hard way in regards to how much grip there is

Even inexperienced riders though will admit it was usually learnt the hard way in regards to how much grip there is

What grip?

Guest Richzx6r

Well that's definitely true atm, theres f*ck all of it around atm as I learned earlier, I was riding a long right hand bend on a slip road going on to the a19 and ok I decided I'd give it some berries off the roundabout but it was bloody horrible going round the right hander it felt like it was trying to throw me off

As a full-blown squid in my teens, I certainly learned the hard way, I used to have the mentality "If you're not at full throttle, you should be at full brakes". I dropped my bike 7 or more times in my first two years from overcooking the front brake, usually in the wet.

On the plus side, It taught me to consistently catch a front slide by reflex (eventually).

But If I had to do it over again,... I'd want ABS.

I've ridden/commuted all year round since I started riding and haven't gone down through overdoing the front brakes in about 12 years. Never thought ABS would be any real use to me.

Very recently I commuted on a bike with ABS for the first time. I realised that having it is such a mental relief during winter, that I simply won't buy another bike that doesn't have it.