OEM Ignition Barrel Anti tamper fixings

Mickly

I need to remove this bracket in order to fit the clocks on my Trophy CRK cafe racer.D16D466E-71A5-42C1-8B0F-61272A6517AC.thumb.jpeg.7f57bfe88da7cc4de22a1b3ba5320e4f.jpeg

To do this I have removed the top yoke and now need to undo these fixings:

E7CDF1BD-AAC2-44FC-BA87-36A187A1E7D9.thumb.jpeg.7129010b81e1cd3bae5224985ded3de3.jpeg

Any ideas apart from drilling them out? I’ve painted everything & don’t fancy scratching things doing it.

Are they likely to be L/H thread or anything else bizarre?

Ta.

ECD40DF2-7129-4D4C-BD7F-7C07B9FE5AC2.thumb.jpeg.9c353cabcafa9d06e0db429416ef693b.jpeg

Never mind, I got in there with a grinding bit on my Dremel, took a while but the bracket is now off.

I’ll replace the fixings with something standard like a cap head bolt, but put some epoxy resin in the head as a security measure.

DBBD45CC-498C-4FE9-BB3E-22AE9233ECDD.thumb.jpeg.58556b171a53a70183ed4473b1f3e345.jpeg

Aaaaagggghhhh

So I removed the bracket, refitted the ignition lock, used thread lock, tightened, filled the heads with epoxy resin and let them set.

Went to fit the top yolk & the bloody steering lock fouled with the bracket on the headstock.

I’ve had to strip it apart again & add some 3.5mm spacers ( found some nylon ones knocking about in the garage ) to replace the thickness of the bracket - Got it all refitted today

When you’re really bored I’ll tell you about the fitting problem I’ve had with the headlamp!!

Guest Richzx6r

Aaaaagggghhhh

So I removed the bracket, refitted the ignition lock, used thread lock, tightened, filled the heads with epoxy resin and let them set.

Went to fit the top yolk & the bloody steering lock fouled with the bracket on the headstock.

I’ve had to strip it apart again & add some 3.5mm spacers ( found some nylon ones knocking about in the garage ) to replace the thickness of the bracket - Got it all refitted today

When you’re really bored I’ll tell you about the fitting problem I’ve had with the headlamp!!

I'm really bored :thumb:

Aaaaagggghhhh

I'm really bored :thumb:

Right [mention]Richzx6r[/mention] you asked for it !!

Firstly, the rubber sleeves that slide over the fork legs where an absolute sod to fit, I used all sorts of lube ( steady down now 😁 ), but they were so tight I ended up knocking them down with a piece of wood.

6F755805-57FE-4DD4-98EA-9E32CE7D59A3.thumb.jpeg.c9d96bcf56283fba6c13c9288ad92f8d.jpeg

The clamps were splayed too far apart for the bracket fixings to reach, despite trying to hold them together with a pair of mole grips, which got in the way of the bracket. So I used a longer fixing in to pull them them together allowing the correct bolt to be used in the other hole.

This only worked if you used the top fixing point first, as if you used the bottom one, the bracket caught & wouldn’t swing up far enough to line up the top one ( of course this was the first way I attempted to do it )

Then I trial fitted the headlamp & could not for the life of me get the light to fit in the bowl, after much cursing & self doubt, I realised that the tang on the headlight rim was too wide to fit the slot In the bowl where the top fixing is.

FB5A88C7-673C-450E-81EA-94528416AF1F.thumb.jpeg.3da056c1859f3680e9d49fc4eada49dc.jpeg

So I had to file, the tang down to fit, I didn’t want to mess with the other side as it might have cracked the chrome, leading to rusting.

So there you go.

Why are you bothering to use threadlock and resin ? Just replace the shear bolts with ordinary Allen bolts .

Or new shear bolts.

Why are you bothering to use threadlock and resin ? Just replace the shear bolts with ordinary Allen bolts .

Coz the shear bolts are a security feature, which is why I used thread lock & resin.

Or new shear bolts.

I had the right sized button head bolts to hand.

Or new shear bolts.

I had the right sized button head bolts to hand.

Fairy nuff

Coz the shear bolts are a security feature, which is why I used thread lock & resin.

Yeah , I get that , but who's likely to be fiddling around with an Allen Key trying to remove the ignition barrel when they could either pull out the loom and hotwire it or just turn it on with Mole Grips and a screwdriver ? Worse still they just chuck it in a van . I understand where you're coming from but I've replaced loads of ignition barrels and never bothered with replacing the shear bolts . I just don't think it adds any security .