Ybr 125 rear brake adjustment

Joe1965

While adjusting the rear brake on my 61 plate Yamaha Ybr125, I noticed the rear wheel wouldn’t move round when I tried to turn it round, even the adjustment was quite loose, however the rear wheel did turn around when I turned the engine on, whilst on the centre stand.

I was wondering if maybe the rear brake drums are either worn or just very stiff. I was looking at the work history and I’m sure the pads where last replaced on Jan 2017.

I only hope they have completely gone.My guess is this. Any advice anyone? I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

Loosen the adjuster bolt until the wheel turns. If the wheel never frees off to be turned by hand or the activating rod is loose on the rod that connects the activating rod to the pedal then you'll need to take the drum apart to clean/service it.

(ETA - you're doing this with the bike in neutral right?)

[mention]Joe1965[/mention] Just a thought, is the clutch dragging.

When the engine ran and the wheel turned was the bike in gear or in neutral?

Hi.

The rear wheel turned when it was in gear. I just had it on the centre stand. It was very hard to turn the wheel by hand.

I’m sure it’s the rear wheel drum, like you think. I’m just not mechanically minded at all. I’m sure the clutch is okay. It’s got it’s MOT on the 10th Feb.

Remove the rear wheel, open up the brake drum (where a dust mask and neoprene (surgical) gloves). Clean and inspect the brakes. Especially clean the pivots. Check what the correct grease should be and LIGHTLY grease the pivots taking care not to contaminate the brakes. Rebuild. Refit wheel and set adjuster.

Should only take a couple of hours and will save you a shed load of dosh!

NB. If the shoes are worn out (check the wear limit marker), then replace.

8-)

Hi.

The rear wheel turned when it was in gear. I just had it on the centre stand. It was very hard to turn the wheel by hand.

I’m sure it’s the rear wheel drum, like you think. I’m just not mechanically minded at all. I’m sure the clutch is okay. It’s got it’s MOT on the 10th Feb.

Well it would be hard to turn if it's in gear . You're trying to turn the engine over against the compression in the cylinder . Stick it in neutral . As above , clean all the crap out and give the drum a light sandpapering . Don't breath the dust !

My interpretation was that it was difficult to turn by hand while in neutral but the wheel turned freely in gear with the engine running.

Yes , I see what you mean . Well at the very least the adjuster needs backing off a tad before the whole thing melts or catches fire .

When someone says they are no mechanic I'm usually inclined to suggest leaving work on brakes to someone who is.

Not meaning to be a killjoy but brakes are kind of important.

If you're a novice find someone local to give you a hand and either show you what to do or at least check your work.