SORN-ing and parking the bike on the pavement.

Phill

Hello, so the insurance of the 125 is due next week, and the bike is for sale, but i don't want to tax it and insure it anymore because i don't use the bike at all.

Can I just SORN it and not renew the insurance, and leave the bike under a cover, chained to a lamp post? Legally where do I stand? Because technically it's a public road the place where i will keep the bike parked up until it sells, i just dont want trouble with dvla/police :roll: .

grey area where parking on pavement is concerned (outside of london). parking on a public road without tax is illegal. if you sorn it it has to be on private land. your looking at half (possibly) the value of your motorbike if the council get wind, looking at upwards of 500 in penalties and clamp fees etc,

no tax, no insurance etc..

not worth it imo. is there anywhere you can keep it off road?

The pavement is a slightly grey area . It's not exactly on the road but it isn't off road either . Can't you leave it at work or something ?

Polish_20200131_212843203.thumb.png.bb5cb2e8772e8163ebb2d49349dc6245.png

The boundaries of the public road, in this context, would be where it joins private property - presumably the house/garden walls on either side of the street.

That includes any footpath or verge area.

So, regardless of any local bylaws about parking, you shouldn't park an untaxed/uninsured/unMOT'd vehicle on the public footpath.

As above, try to find a friend/relative/neighbour with some free space to store it

As everyone has said, the pavement will land you the same fine etc as leaving it on the road. Ask around if someone will allow you to leave it on their drive out of sight.

I have a couple of local lads I store bikes for on occasions so people do help out if they can.

I dont know anybody around the area where I live with a drive/garage, and I can't leave the bike at my local garage, because I'm away next week...

The annoying thing is that someone was meant to see and buy the bike but something occurred and he will come next weekend... just to complicate things.

I live in a block of flats, and there is a car park behind the apartment block but its accessible by public... is that a good place? That'll make things easy for me. Chuck it in a corner, chain it, disk lock on, cover up and done. Unless a copper or DVLA will physically check the plate I should be fine? I could be screwed if someone hits my bike.

I might try and ask my local gym if I can park my bike on their grounds since it's well away from the road and on private land...

The insurance is only 3rd party for the bike anyways.

More stress before holiday!

Just a thought I once bunged my local pub a couple of quid and left the bike under a cover and chained up in the corner of the car park.

The logic was that although the pub is a public area at least it had people coming and going at all sorts of times, the landlord had good cctv and security.

Cheers

Ian

• 2 weeks later...