Bike cop accident

Mississippi Bullfrog

https://www.facebook.com/BikeThrottleOfficial/videos/2669267236462540/

What's your take on this? I came a cropper in a similar way but got off lightly. A mate wasn't so lucky. It taught me to avoid large vehicles where other drivers can't see the bike. Basically I don't go near HGVs unless I am going dead slow filtering. They create too much of a blind spot for other road users.

In this case the copper clearly had a green light - but he couldn't see if traffic coming from the left had actually stopped. In that situation I would not proceed across the junction - but that's only because I learnt that lesson the hard way.

My understanding is that a green light doesn't just mean go - it means you may proceed if it is safe to do so, so you still check for traffic coming across the junction. The driver of the car obviously got it wrong, but personally if I was the copper I would held back until my line of sight past the HGV was clear.

Jesus! What was the car driver thinking!!

It just shows how quickly things can happen and to expect the unexpected.

The copper should have known better than to be as close as he was to that wagon green light or not. would it have prevented the accident if he had held back.....probably, would it have stopped the car coming through.....definitely not

Guest Richzx6r

So all those drivers who were witness to a serious accident just go about they're lives as if nothing had actually happened..... :shock: shows just how little people give a f*ck really eh

A few things there- firstly I hope the cop wasn't too badly injured. Secondly I hope the car driver is doing serious jail time. Thirdly like others I've come too close to a similar accident myself although in my case it was what seemed like inches in front of me. Good for a pucker moment though. You really do need to be able to see before venturing into the intersection.

Wow, I'm surprised the copper did that.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I may well have done exactly what the copper did, It's difficult to judge without being in that exact situation. But I'm an idiot and although I should, If I'm honest with myself, I don't always hold my riding to the same standards as the police. On the flip-side of the coin, I also can't claim myself to be a member of the most highly trained group of riders in the country...

But even I know, As someone above mentioned. Green doesn't mean go, it means "check if it's clear and then go".

He couldn't check if it was clear, so he shouldn't have gone.

Incredibly unfortunate, but avoidable none-the-less.

Whilst I take on board that green don't mean go, but most definitely Red means Stop. The copper could have been more cautious but the car driver need to hang up his driving gloves.

Totally, I don't think anyone is in disagreement with you there. More just analysing to see if the situation could/should have been avoided by the biker. I certainly will pause for thought the next time I come across a similar situation when out and about.

Hope rider is OK and the driver got what was coming.

Police rider should have held back or proceed with enough caution to have been able to stop.

Early in my lessons I was going to pass an hgv in similar situation with a junction on my left and me going straight on at a roundabout, it's an odd bod set up.

I got a swift message to drop back and a lecture on returning to Base on everything that could have gone wrong from hgv going opposite way to indicating, swinging wide before turning and some numpty pulling out that I was invisible too and that I couldn't see till it was too late.

I still hear is voice in my head when I f**k up now 😁

Cop pulled forward despite the truck blindsiding him.

Bad error.......particularly for one of them cos generally those guys can really ride.

Jumping lights happens all the time here........just through sheer stupidity.

Then they'll get to the next set of lights that are on green.......and stop.

Don't ask......you learn to live with it.

This is what happens when you become complacent and take things for granted.. Expecting things that normally happen to go on happening in the same way.. Which most of the time they do. Until they don't.

Nail on head! Riding according to what you've SEEN.......not what you SEE!

TC flounced? :shock:

How could you not know?

He wet his knickers because someone refused to accept that he was absolutely correct about everything, especially things he knew little about.

TC flounced? :shock:

How could you not know?

He wet his knickers because someone refused to accept that he was absolutely correct about everything, especially things he knew little about.

I was away for a while....and when I came back half the forum was missing.

Who is/was tc? Before my time?

Tony Carter........very well known on forums for about 20 years.

Ex bike cop, ex riding instructor to Police etc.......retired from the force some years ago after a serious accident.