Yamaha YBR 125 Custom 2008 Weird noise

Paddy

Hi, I have a Yamaha YBR 125 Custom 2008 and the battery wasn't charging on it. So I left in my local motorcycle shop yesterday morning and came to pick in up this morning he said it was the alternator and I needed to replace it. I said that's ok I'll order one next week. We walked down to the motorcycle and I started it and all of a sudden it sounded like death, I mean that. Cranking and Crunching like there's no tomorrow. And just turn around and say wtf is going on. He goes oh I think your kickstart is getting stuck.(I started the motorcycle with the starter, not the kickstart) And he says that's the way he got it but when I left it off the day before the motorcycle was absolutely fine I mean it. He says he thought I was riding it like that I was shocked. could anyone give me some advice on what to do with the motorcycle? The sound is coming out from in around the kickstart and doesn't stop if you give it revs. The engine runs on Carol 4T oil and gets changed as recommended by the manual, Only ever gets BP ultimate petrol. I'm heartbroken about what's going on. This motorcycle is my only means of travel at the moment. Please help!

So you rode it to the shop wearing a crash helmet . Were you wearing a crash helmet when they started it up ? Could just possibly been sounding like a bag of spanners for a while but you've never really listened to it .

When I take the cover off do you know for what things I should look out for? And thank you for the reply!

You know exactly what to expect because you will have studied the manual before hand . You've got a manual right ?

Guest Richzx6r

When I take the cover off do you know for what things I should look out for? And thank you for the reply!

You know exactly what to expect because you will have studied the manual before hand . You've got a manual right ?

No it's an automatic :wink:

So you rode it to the shop wearing a crash helmet . Were you wearing a crash helmet when they started it up ? Could just possibly been sounding like a bag of spanners for a while but you've never really listened to it .

No, Every morning I start the motorcycle beforehand and let it run for a few minutes while I have my morning cup of tea and the motorcycle sounded prefect, No strange noises. When I arrived and told about the issue the motorcycle I had the motorcycle running by him. So I doubt it. and the motorcycle was there the week before when I was getting my break pads sorted, So he had heard the motorcycle run before aswell.

with the engine running press the kick start down a couple of times and see if that frees anything off

Are you sure ? I wouldn't do that . There would be an explosion of stripped pinion gear teeth .

but do it gently though if the noise goes worse when you are pressing down stop immediately and release the kick start

That's better

Guest Richzx6r

with the engine running press the kick start down a couple of times and see if that frees anything off

Are you sure ? I wouldn't do that . There would be an explosion of stripped pinion gear teeth .

Unless its already happened slightly and the broken bits are jumping around in there :scratch:

Guest Richzx6r

Paddy it would help us greatly if you could arrange a video of the sound so we could provide a proper diagnosis mate without that we are all kinda clutching at straws

Guest Richzx6r

and perhaps it would be better to throw my earlier suggestion a curve :scratch:

Yea engaging the kickstarter on a running engine is dancing with the devil