Love Life and Ride - They sell Helite air bag vests

dern

This is a review of a company, not the product... when I crash I'll post a review of the product.

Wanted an air bag vest as now I'm getting 'more wise', injuries are taking longer to heal so anything I can do to minimise the severity of them in the first place strikes me as a good idea. I've seen the demos on YouTube and so on so knew what I was getting. Went over to see Nick at Love Life and Ride in Wokingham for advice and a fitting after exchanging a few emails at Christmas.

Nick showed me every aspect of the recommended vest and even did a demo for me. I couldn't do one as I've ripped a tendon in my shoulder and I didn't want to how strong it currently is. Really impressive bit of kit. We checked the fit for wearing the vest with my textile jacket and with my one piece leathers and went through the process of changing the canister of gas once it's discharged.

He does the whole range as far as I could see and I went for a black Turtle 2 so I could use it for road and track. A Turtle 2 as it can be used for both and black so I don't get mistaken for an instructor on a track day (although 10 seconds of observation would disavow anyone of that belief). I saw that he'd arranged the repair of another vest after it had been 'exercised' also which is good to know. I got the vest, 2 canisters and two lanyards that attach the the bikes.

He does discounts for various road safety organisations (I passed my IAM course last year) and I think for ACU license holders too but check with him. He rents the vests out too.

Can't recommend Nick highly enough. His website is...

https://www.lovelifeandride.com/

...and he's at the MCN London Motorcycle Show in a couple of weeks.

No connection to the company or Nick, just a happy customer.

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

Nice review.

Just bought myself, a Turtle 1 black from Sportsbikeshop. Arrives Monday. First to crash gets to write the review :cheers:

Have you tried one on yet? They feel like a really good bit of kit.

Don't wear it too tight by the way. The way it was explained to me was to have it so that you can form fists with your hands and move your fists between whatever you're wearing and the air bag vest. The reason for this is that when it goes off you still want to be able to breath :)

The only downside is that it's rendered my hundred odd quid back protector redundant :(

Don't wear it too tight by the way. The way it was explained to me was to have it so that you can form fists with your hands and move your fists between whatever you're wearing and the air bag vest. The reason for this is that when it goes off you still want to be able to breath :)

Thanks for the tip. Taking it for its maiden voyage tomorrow.

• 3 weeks later...

I've just been sent the following link from the company I bought mine from. If you use it you get £50 off a vest or jacket and [full disclosure] I get £15. If it's of any use feel free but you may get a better deal if you're a member of TVAM or another advanced training school.

http://lovelifeandride.refr.cc/markhibbins

Cheers,

Mark

Ah, sorry, if this is not ok please let me know and I'll take it down. My motivation was to help out Nick at Love life and offer an opportunity for discounts for the guys on here. I can see that this might not be in the spirit of things though so please let me know if this isn't cool. Spare gas canisters for me if I start doing more off-roading is handy but not worth annoying you lot for :wink:

Thanks,

Mark

• 2 years later...

Some years ago I bought my wife a Point2 air vest for her horse riding, my daughter gave me stick saying she’d never use it… 8 months later I sat in A&E for 10.5 hours waiting to find out if my wife would survive being thrown from her horse, and should that be the case would she be in a wheelchair for the rest of her days.  Short version is that the horse threw her high into the air and she landed on her head, the major injuries were fractures to her neck, back, and both bones in both wrists. Good news was that the air vest had stabilised her neck and saved her from a far greater injury… needless to say she was back riding horses within 6 months!
As a direct result I bought the motorbike versions from Point 2 for us both. Two of my colleagues have the Helite vests, it doesn’t matter much who has what, they do the job!

Edited by Steve398