Electric bikes/ light transport.

onesea

What are peoples thoughts? Are they affordabe yet? Anyone got one?

I Presently only commute 2 miles (30 & 40 mph road 1/2 with grasss verges only) to work on 24 hour shift patern.

I will not walk becase some of it has no pavement,

I will not cycle because of some of the idiots that race down the road and I would turn up at work horrible sweaty/ wet...

Presently I take the car which seems stupid, it does not even get warm. Its not worth putting bike gear on for 1.5 miles.

It started me looking at electric pushbkes... but they can only do 15mph and are not actually that cheap...

Raleigh Array Crossbar Electric Bike - 15mph - £1,275 Charge Time 7 Hours Range To 60 Miles

I had even pondered covered mobility scooter but they are slow and stupid price and probably not safe V comuters.

Abilize Kondor Cabin £5499.00 - 8mph

As far as I can see the best affordable options are:

Super Soco TC 1500W - 45mph - £2,999 Charge Time 6 Hours Range Up To 50 Miles

Super Soco TC Max - 58mph - £4,249 Charge Time 8 Hours Range Up To 60 Miles

They recon 1p a mile compared with about 10p a mile for Motorbike....

Will be curious about peoples comments and ideas....

Thinking about it, these would be a great incentive to allow full licence car drivers A1 entitlement, would be the ideal solution for a lot of people for local commuting and capable of carrying a pillion :thumb:

Its not worth putting bike gear on for 1.5 miles.

I think you'll have to put the same gear on for an electric bike.

If you really don't want to use your other bikes then get a 50cc aprilia scoot or similar for £500. It'll sip fuel and cost you nothing to run.

What are peoples thoughts? Are they affordabe yet? Anyone got one?

I Presently only commute 2 miles (30 & 40 mph road 1/2 with grasss verges only) to work on 24 hour shift patern.

I will not walk becase some of it has no pavement,

I will not cycle because of some of the idiots that race down the road and I would turn up at work horrible sweaty/ wet...

Presently I take the car which seems stupid, it does not even get warm. Its not worth putting bike gear on for 1.5 miles.

It started me looking at electric pushbkes... but they can only do 15mph and are not actually that cheap...

Raleigh Array Crossbar Electric Bike - 15mph - £1,275 Charge Time 7 Hours Range To 60 Miles

I had even pondered covered mobility scooter but they are slow and stupid price and probably not safe V comuters.

Abilize Kondor Cabin £5499.00 - 8mph

As far as I can see the best affordable options are:

Super Soco TC 1500W - 45mph - £2,999 Charge Time 6 Hours Range Up To 50 Miles

Super Soco TC Max - 58mph - £4,249 Charge Time 8 Hours Range Up To 60 Miles

They recon 1p a mile compared with about 10p a mile for Motorbike....

Will be curious about peoples comments and ideas....

I was cycling 60 miles a week all year round last year and for the 3 years prior. i did consider some kind of electric thingy but the cost just seemed too high. Then I looked on amazon and saw bike conversion kits for £350. you just swap your back wheel out and attach all the gubbins ( about 2 hours if you take your time) and you are good to go. good for 30 mph maybe a smidge more. but they are not strictly EAPC so your sitting in that area of law whereby you are potentially looking at points on your license, for me that was never an issue because the route I took was just a few miles each way on a country lane, the local police officer easily bought with pheasant and rabbit.

if you do get a kit and go legal with it you have to fill a form in and register it as a build or a re-build (not sure which) then probably pay £20 tax. not sure on MOT or insurance etc.

cyclists on road bikes near me hit 40+mph fairly often on 2 sections on the hills they wear budgie smuglers....

if you do get a kit and go legal with it you have to fill a form in and register it as a build or a re-build (not sure which) then probably pay £20 tax. not sure on MOT or insurance etc.

Anyone know how hard would it be to register, if you did put something together that went faster? getting caught realy is not an option.

I have been googling (always dangerous) and think one of these capable of 28mph (as long as it can pull up a hill) would be good 40mph perfect.

Winther_E_Cargoo_Black_Red_side-1.jpg

Then I could stick the dog and outboard in it and take him saling or just for a walk also the weekly shopping.

Its not worth putting bike gear on for 1.5 miles.

I think you'll have to put the same gear on for an electric bike.

If you really don't want to use your other bikes then get a 50cc aprilia scoot or similar for £500. It'll sip fuel and cost you nothing to run.

At 30-40 mph, I would not mind just a armoured jacket lid and work boots.

Getting my bike MOT'd and the guy down the road said just that a 100cc Pegout for £300 then no chance for dog and outboard...

I've got an electric push bike.

UK law is stupid. Limited to 250w with assistance upto 15mph. Doesn't mean it's limited to 15mph so if the ground is flat you can go faster than 15mph with little effort.

Not cheap though..

You can buy a 125cc honda scooter on finance for 50quid a month with a 50quid deposit and hand it back three years later for another one so no worries about MOTs.

SmartSelect_20200206-192124_Photos.thumb.jpg.ad1f6ac75b863913a5ab9cd66c56d8ad.jpg

Can you get done for being drunk in charge of a push bike with electric assist? I know in Germany you can be but not sure about the UK.

Yes same rules apply as cycles only you just have to be visibily drunk....

https://www.cyclinguk.org/cycle/many-speeds

The present situation in the UK is nuts, its cheaper to have small Ped than it is an electric bike if you want to have assitane over 15mph. Although if you want to go for type aproval the instructions are here:

https://ebiketips.road.cc/content/advice/advice/buying-and-riding-an-s-pedelec-in-the-uk-1637

Next plan is to hire a standard electric bike and see how they ride and if itwould do the job... Still open to ideas.

Can you get done for being drunk in charge of a push bike with electric assist? I know in Germany you can be but not sure about the UK.

As above, yes. A standard push bike has no motor so you can't be charged with being drunk. They use the Victorian law of riding furiously on the highway for standard bikes.

As above, yes. A standard push bike has no motor so you can't be charged with being drunk. They use the Victorian law of riding furiously on the highway for standard bikes.

The offence is driving or attempting to drive a mechanically propelled vehicle in a public place so yes, you can be prosecuted for being pissed on a bike.

The offence is driving or attempting to drive a mechanically propelled vehicle in a public place so yes, you can be prosecuted for being pissed on a bike.

An electric bike being mechanically propelled. Whereas a pedal bike is propelled by a maniac.

We have a pair of folding electric cycles we take them in the campervan,

We got ours second hand £500 for the pair!

They're brilliant for getting around big camp sites,

going to the shops/Pubs etc. :thumb:

That's one of the reasons I bought a folding electric bike.. Also so that if I ride it to the train station and it's raining when I'm coming home I can fold it up and sling it in the back of the taxi home :cheers:

I told a policeman who almost knocked me off my bike (not electric) twice with his car that I had drank 3 pints, he was more concerned with me having no lights on my bike. Was 17 years ago though.

I think the law is being drunk in charge of a push bike and can affect your driving licence too. They don't do a road side breath test, it's the same as being drunk and disorderly in public. They don't arrest every tom and dick coming out of a pub, it's when you cause a nuisance or appear a danger to yourself or others.

With regards to an electric bike, I'm interested in the Seat electric scooter (forgive me I have sinned)