What did you do to your bike today? (part 4)

oldgrump

Is that a voltmeter on the dash though?

It's a Koso so yes, I can choose between volts, fuel, time and water temperature. It's probably the best thing about the bike, I'm amazed it hasn't steamed up yet.

Update: still charging :mrgreen:

Taken the battery off Bridget and put that on the charger, still need to pick up a new sparkplug which i will do tomorrow and get some fresh fuel in her then she won't be far from ready to start riding :thumb:

Loaded it, ready to hit the Dragon Rally this weekend, apparently the weather is going to be tropical :cheers:

49497508116_861bd68ea5_k.jpg

Crikey that brings back memories . I did the Dragon Rally in about 1982 . Absolutely freezing .

Guest Richzx6r

Taken the battery off Bridget and put that on the charger, still need to pick up a new sparkplug which i will do tomorrow and get some fresh fuel in her then she won't be far from ready to start riding :thumb:

My battery is dead as a dodo....charger been on all day and not reading anything, might be a trip to halfords to get it replaced under warranty of the battery

My battery is dead as a dodo....charger been on all day and not reading anything, might be a trip to halfords to get it replaced under warranty of the battery

That sucks, how old is the battery, does your charger have a decalcification option, that's the setting i initially used on Xena's battery as it was so low under 6v and seems to have fixed it :thumb:

Guest Richzx6r

That sucks, how old is the battery, does your charger have a decalcification option, that's the setting i initially used on Xena's battery as it was so low under 6v and seems to have fixed it :thumb:

No it's got no buttons at all, and I got the battery in October

[mention]Richzx6r[/mention] have you got a multimeter or a volt meter to take a reading of the voltage, some chargers won't charge if the voltage is too low to be recognised, it might be possible to put some charge in with jump leads from a car battery, might be worth a go if you can :thumb:

@Richzx6r have you got a multimeter or a volt meter to take a reading of the voltage, some chargers won't charge if the voltage is too low to be recognised, it might be possible to put some charge in with jump leads from a car battery, might be worth a go if you can :thumb:

If the voltage drops below 12v some chargers won’t recognise the battery and activate. The trick is to prime the battery at very low amps until it’s voltage gets back to 12.5v, then slap your usual charger on. The priming charge needs to be 500Ma or less. I use a 400Ma gel cell charger for a couple of hours. Nearly always resurrects dead batteries.

Edited by Mississippi Bullfrog

Guest Richzx6r

@Richzx6r have you got a multimeter or a volt meter to take a reading of the voltage, some chargers won't charge if the voltage is too low to be recognised, it might be possible to put some charge in with jump leads from a car battery, might be worth a go if you can :thumb:

If the voltage drops below 12v some chargers won’t recognise the battery and activate. The trick is to prime the battery at very low amps until it’s voltage gets back to 12.5v, then slap your usual charger on. The priming charge needs to be 500Ma or less. I use a 400Ma bell cell charger for a couple of hours. Nearly always resurrects dead batteries.

All I have is an optimate so not really a charger per say but yeah when I have the money maybe an idea to get myself a set of leads and a proper charger

Guest Richzx6r

I do have a multimeter but it doesn't work, also I'll try jump leads first before I take the battery back

Xena is all ready now barring a good clean, Bridget on the other hand needs a bit more managed to get her running but it was a struggle and looks like she may need a new battery after all, luckily she has a kickstart, next thing will be adjusting the brakes and changing the oil in the forks as they seem to bottom out rather quickly with very little pressure, and it sounds as if there is a small leak in the exhaust which will need to done, other than that and a good clean she is all good :thumb:

Was down the garage listening to the ‘chasin the racing ‘ pod cast, so engrossed listening I spent 2 hours looking for the cable that connects the starter solenoid to the starter motor, only to discover that it was already fitted to the starter motor & the other end was hidden under the carbs 😡

Mind you it’s a good listen.

https://motorbikepod.libsyn.com/

Replaced the bike's battery and fitted twin horns ..... :)

I was hoping to have all the plastics back on, but that's now a job for tomorrow ...... :shock:

Hmmm now that's something I had been planning to do, what did you fit?

I have had to lift the tank on mine as the battery needed a bit of a charge.

Replaced the bike's battery .....

Hmmm now that's something I had been planning to do, what did you fit?

I have had to lift the tank on mine as the battery needed a bit of a charge.

I went for a Motobatt MBYZ16HD. An AGM battery that can live on it's side or upside down and doesn't need an initial charge - just fit and go. It was a couple of millimetres less tall than the original Exide but fitted fine.

Ordered from Tayna Batteries, it cost less than half what I would have paid at the BMW dealer, has a higher ampere rating (16.5AH against 14) and CCAmps are 240 against the original 170. All good so far .....

Yesterday I tightened the Kawasaki's chain as it had become loose enough to just touch the oiler and then took the CBX out in a show of rugged individualism that would make Xtreme proud :roll:

https://i.imgur.com/kQik4dX.jpg' alt='IMGUR>'>

Today I'm just worrying about the things getting blown over.

Guest Richzx6r

Yesterday I tightened the Kawasaki's chain as it had become loose enough to just touch the oiler and then took the CBX out in a show of rugged individualism that would make Xtreme proud :roll:

https://i.imgur.com/kQik4dX.jpg' alt='IMGUR>'>

Today I'm just worrying about the things getting blown over.

I hope you gave the water a go??