Earphones in when riding

Seen 2 blokes yesterday with earphones in listening to music ....am I the only person shocked by this ?? Is it common to do? Surely u need to hear around u for road sense or has this gone with common sense ? :roll:

You're only allowed to use one earphone in NY State . I suppose earphones are a necessity for Sat Nav users but I can't even WALK in a straight line listening to music .

I suppose earphones are a necessity for Sat Nav users but I can't even WALK in a straight line listening to music .

I have to disagree!

I have all my volume turned off on the twat nav! I can't be doing with it blasting in my ear :lol:

Also stop dancing to your music :lol:

It has to be said that the majority of idiots who don't see or hear you coming are either wearing earphones or have the car music system on at full blast.

They should have learnt the lesson from Sarah Connor's flat mate.

I think 100% of idiots that don't see you are the ones that don't look!

Earphones or music doesn't affect your eyesight!

If I need satnav I use google maps with earphones in. I tend not to do this but wouldn't think twice if I needed directions and when I am learning the way to new work in February will pop in earphones. I have been inking about the Bluetooth speaker things to put in my helmet. I quite like a bit suhiwtunes when I ride on long journeys :-)

Sound deadening ear plugs actually heightens my level of concentration and makes riding more enjoyable. As for sat-nav, train your eyes to look quickly and more often and audio isn't needed. As for music on the go, no thanks not for me.

I have an intercom inside my helmet, it helps me personally concentrate to listen to music but quietly enough that i can hear whats going on around me. It helps me concentrate and calm down as i struggle with anxiety, sometimes when i do something wrong on the road and get involved in road rage i can really kick off, music helps calm me down. i know it sounds stupid.

• 1 month later...
Guest Richzx6r

I have an intercom inside my helmet, it helps me personally concentrate to listen to music but quietly enough that i can hear whats going on around me. It helps me concentrate and calm down as i struggle with anxiety, sometimes when i do something wrong on the road and get involved in road rage i can really kick off, music helps calm me down. i know it sounds stupid.

Sounds like anger management classes could be handy :thumb:

The French made it illegal a year or two ago, we are slow to follow :cry:

I also think they are banned in Germany.

I wear custom fit plugs and listen to music through audio intercom unit. I dont know if that it technically the same or not :oops:

Yes to earplugs to protect hearing but I absolutely can't ride a bike while listening to music . Might be associated with my Asperger's but my brain just isn't wired that way .

As human beings we are mostly relating to sight, hearing comes only in to account in zero visibility, except some specially trained people.

Distraction by music is possible if you are actively singing, dancing while driving ( as my wife is doing).

So I think it’s just loads of crap like many other things in traffic.

For myself I don't like listening to music whilst riding. I wear earplugs to protect what's left of my hearing but what little I can hear I'd prefer to be the bike. If I was listening to music I'd have to have it so loud to hear it at all that protecting my hearing would be a nonstarter.

As human beings we are mostly relating to sight, hearing comes only in to account in zero visibility, except some specially trained people.

Interesting.

Who are these specially trained people and what are their abilities? I'm genuinely interested as I'd like to learn some special abilities.

As a human being I am mostly relating to sight, sound, touch, hearing and taste. They tend to work for me, haven't let me down yet.

For the record, I've listened to music through earphones while riding and haven't killed myself yet.

Interesting.

Who are these specially trained people and what are their abilities? I'm genuinely interested as I'd like to learn some special abilities.

As a human being I am mostly relating to sight, sound, touch, hearing and taste. They tend to work for me, haven't let me down yet.

For the record, I've listened to music through earphones while riding and haven't killed myself yet.

Than close your eyes and try it.

Use your hearing, smell, touch etc.

I am not an expert these thinks are researched by scientists, people with big brains.