Do I need a rear brake light switch?

James in Brum

Guest Richzx6r

Brake light works on front lever pull but not on rear pedal use. Is that likely to be the switch?

I believe it's in the mot checks so yeah you do need it working, I'd suggest getting a replacement switch if you cant clean it up and make it work

Guest Richzx6r

Thanks Rich. Is there any other possible cause?

If the bike doesn't have a rear hugger all the shit will be flying off the rear wheel and covers it in crud which gets in the mechanism and they don't like it

Guest Richzx6r

You can sometimes resurrect it but it's just putting off the inevitable replacement so I'd say just replace it with a new one and maybe look in to getting a hugger to protect your rear shock and other things from crud they are worth they're weight in gold

I can honestly say that for 3 MOT inspections on my ZRX I used to pull in the front brake lever at the same time as my foot hit the pedal lol.

Like the late great Joey Dunlop I never use the back brake.

Before I get jumped on by loads of people my 2004 ZRX has its original rear pads my 2005 Busa has whatever rear pads were in it when I bought it and I haven`t a clue what is in the rear caliper of the race Busa.

I tend to lean to the argument that on a motorcycle all braking should be done while you are pointing in a straight line and braking in bends is dangerous!

Cheers

Ian

Guest Richzx6r

I can honestly say that for 3 MOT inspections on my ZRX I used to pull in the front brake lever at the same time as my foot hit the pedal lol.

Before I get jumped on by loads of people my 2004 ZRX has its original rear pads my 2005 Busa has whatever rear pads were in it when I bought it and I haven`t a clue what is in the rear caliper of the race Busa.

I tend to lean to the argument that on a motorcycle all braking should be done while you are pointing in a straight line and braking in bends is dangerous!

Cheers

Ian

Only thing I'll add really is that the rest brake is good for settling the bike through a turn but hey we all ride differently :thumb:

Cheers

Ian

Only thing I'll add really is that the rest brake is good for settling the bike through a turn but hey we all ride differently :thumb:

Fair comment.

Even when sidecar racing back in the day the rear caliper and disc were regarded as an opportunity to save weight and the front disc and caliper from a FS1E DX was on the back of our Imp propelled bike lol.

Cheers

Ian

Hi James , if it's the switch they are pretty much generic so don't go paying Kawasaki prices . You just cut and bend the long end of the spring to suit . https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/323795391207

Does it make a difference that that is for a drum brake?

Thanks all for your contributions :-)

Hi James , if it's the switch they are pretty much generic so don't go paying Kawasaki prices . You just cut and bend the long end of the spring to suit . https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/323795391207

Does it make a difference that that is for a drum brake?

Thanks all for your contributions :-)

No , it shouldn't do . It's the same as I had on my GSXR and loads of other bikes. You'll probably find it attached to the lever somewhere near where it pivots unless you have a hydraulic switch but I don't think so. I've found the bracket that it sits in , here you go .

Polish_20200209_182909877.thumb.png.10f88a403a8e00d4d8db9890bac113ce.png