125cc

Uzi

Hi, I'm turning 17 soon, so looking for a 125cc bike. I have a variety of options but I am thinking of going for a yz125 or wr125x as they seem like fun bikes to ride. I am also considering CBR's and duke's but their insurance is almost 200 more than a yz125 which is just 580. Any tips on whether a 2 stroke would be reliable to ride daily or what I should be looking for? I would also have to convert from a dirtbike to a street-legal supermoto.

thanks

Guest Richzx6r

Hi, I'm turning 17 soon, so looking for a 125cc bike. I have a variety of options but I am thinking of going for a yz125 or wr125x as they seem like fun bikes to ride. I am also considering CBR's and duke's but their insurance is almost 200 more than a yz125 which is just 580. Any tips on whether a 2 stroke would be reliable to ride daily or what I should be looking for? I would also have to convert from a dirtbike to a street-legal supermoto.

thanks

So to answer your question.....no 2 strokes aren't very reliable for everyday transport as from my experience they enjoy eating engine internals so I'd stick with 4 stroke as they are very reliable, there are so many good 125s that you could get, some information on your budget would be good so we can advise you on some alternatives to those which you have earmarked

thanks

So to answer your question.....no 2 strokes aren't very reliable for everyday transport as from my experience they enjoy eating engine internals so I'd stick with 4 stroke as they are very reliable, there are so many good 125s that you could get, some information on your budget would be good so we can advise you on some alternatives to those which you have earmarked

Hi Rich

That's very interesting as back in pre history (early 80`s) I despatched in London on a succession of small 2 strokes and found them extremely reliable providing of course you kept an eye on oil levels.

Apart from performance stuff like Apprillia Rs models and the Kawasaki Kr stuff have 2 smokes become worse?

I am genuinely interested as I think back in the day the engines may have been les stressed compared to today.

Cheers

Ian

Thank you both, my budget is around up to 2000 for the bike and currently, I have a 50cc supermoto (as I am 16) which has proven reliable for the past year which is why I'm wondering if I should go for something like a yz instead, as 2 strokes seem to be faster as well. Insurance also seems to range from 600 to 900 with 1 year no claims and I have found that the conversion from dirtbike to street-legal would cost from 200 to 300.

The wr125x is a 4 stroke street legal Yamaha, but its insurance seems to be on the higher end around 900 compared to yz125 at 580

I also don't mind spending more on the bike, as if I do sell it next year it shouldn't depreciate that much.

I had a 2 stroke 125 years ago (RD125) very difficult to start, would never have another. Probably OK when they're new.

Go for anything Japanese that you like the look, and cost of 👍

Guest Richzx6r

thanks

Hi Rich

That's very interesting as back in pre history (early 80`s) I despatched in London on a succession of small 2 strokes and found them extremely reliable providing of course you kept an eye on oil levels.

Apart from performance stuff like Apprillia Rs models and the Kawasaki Kr stuff have 2 smokes become worse?

I am genuinely interested as I think back in the day the engines may have been les stressed compared to today.

Cheers

Ian

I'm talking about stuff like the rs125 and mito which needed a rebuild every 10k miles or less, but hey they could be reliable for what the lad wants but they need alot more maintenance than a 4 stroke and from experience the younger you are the less you think about the maintenance side of it and get all stroppy when things dont work as they should which is why I'd opt for a 4stroke over 2, maybe go for something like the yam yzfr125 its 4 stroke and will do 85mph with a 17 stone bloke on top

Yup, I think I've decided to not go with a 2t, seeing it would require extra work and a 4t is easy to keep like the wr125x or yzf 125r is better for my use (mostly commuting to college) despite the extra costs with them. I think the supermoto would be better for me, as i can learn a few more things with it. :wink:

Guest Richzx6r

Yup, I think I've decided to not go with a 2t, seeing it would require extra work and a 4t is easy to keep like the wr125x or yzf 125r is better for my use (mostly commuting to college) despite the extra costs with them. I think the supermoto would be better for me, as i can learn a few more things with it. :wink:

Just remember get caught with the front in the air it's a straight ban

thanks

Hi Rich

Cheers

Ian

i used to have a yam as3 125 twin and that was fairly quick and reliable :thumb:

As I think the OP has made a decision I hope he does ok with it.

The 2stroke debate is interesting and Rich is correct in his assessment of Mito`s and Aprillia RS models.

I know about the RS as I restored one for a chap in the village so his mechanical retard of a son could sell it, a lovely little bike that didn't deserve the abuse it had suffered lol.

Therefore I concur with Rich1s comment about youth and maintenance lol.

Cheers

Ian