What did you do to your bike today? (part 4)

oldgrump

Guest Richzx6r
I hope you gave the water a go??

Are you mad!? You can clearly see the pedestrian bridge on the right..

To answer your question yes I am mad

It is possible to aquaplane across a body of water if the bike is fairly light and the speed is just right and the angle of entry is not too steep, i watched an episode of Mythbusters and they rode across a small lake on a bike :thumb:

Took the wheels off of the scooter in anticipation of fitting new boots.

Bit disappointed in the life I've got out of the Contiscoot tyres, only around 3000 miles or so, fitted them in October iirc.

The rear tyre is completely shot, pressures all been ok.

I do ride it fairly hard and its quite a heavy bike but 3000 miles is worse than I get out of a rear tyre on my 150hp R1 :shock:

The underside of it was completely plastered in mud, so took all that off and gave it a wash.

All this was done outside this morning dodging the torrential rain showers.

Took a chance on having a look at Bridgets starter motor before shelling out on a new battery, and i am so glad i did, after taking it off and taking it apart one of the brushes was totally siezed and not moving, gave it a squirt with a bit of WD40 and got it moving, gave it all a good clean and a regrease fitted it back on and we now have a good strong motor and she fires up on the button :thumb:

quick update, found a refurb kit for the starter £25 ish, but while i'm ordering that will also order a side stand but i need to check and see if the footrest bar is the right one otherwise i will need to order one, i am starting to like this mechaning malarkey :lol:

Not today exactly but......

Last Saturday (9-02-20) before the real nasty weather arrived it was the February meeting of the North Yorkshire VJMC club at the Black Bull in York (11.00 - 13:00).

I had hoped to go down on the GS125 for the Dec and Jan meeting at this new venue but weather put a stop to that.

"Go in the car" my better half said, but no I would not feel right turning up in the 20 year old Focus to a Japanese bike meeting.

Anyhoo, after my early morning shift I gave the GS a good spray with GT85, got layered up turned on the 10W £4.99 Chinese heated grips and off I went. Head wind on the way down had me sub 45 MPH and had to to stop every 10 miles to clean the salt spray of my visor.

54 miles later. Great meeting and a lovely small breakfast, had a pleasant tail wind and dry roads on the way home. A little over 125 miles to the gallon, not bad.

Hosed the bike down when I got home and lightly sponged down my jacket, boots and trousers.

1108489953_Bootstoclean.thumb.JPG.cc3b35071258b1da797ae80f49ca6b25.JPG

Spent Tuesday day giving it a good wash, while the breeze got rid of the water my drying towel could not get to I took the chain off.

Before

476858129_RHbackbefore.thumb.JPG.db907cf9859f05ce1208af3068f0f2a5.JPG

After

1763184761_DoneRHside.thumb.JPG.960472d0d4936b405483d5aad36add1f.JPG

First cleaned in diesel followed by a dunk in old engine oil warmed in an old deep fat fryer. This non O-ring chain takes quite a lot of effort to look after through the winter. After a drip dry gear oil was applied with a clean toothbrush then refitted.

All set to get filthy again as the wind and rain continue.

Will be posting more of the Z500 refurb in the projects section soon

Rob B

927551964_RHbackafter.thumb.JPG.ecd09050cbb142630367ac3a5332c123.JPG

Guest Richzx6r

How do you rate the bar muffs?

I am nearing the age when comfort takes precedence over appearance.

When I used bar muffs I had to fabricate something to keep them rigid as they were interfering with the brake and clutch levers, so me personally wouldn't go down the route again

When I used bar muffs I had to fabricate something to keep them rigid as they were interfering with the brake and clutch levers, so me personally wouldn't go down the route again

I know that's an issue with some but reviews of others say this isn't a problem. It's really whether they work in terms of keeping your hands warmer. Probably not going to be needed until next winter hopefully.

I highly rate bar muffs in the cold - I have them on the CG commuter. I wear summer gloves all year round now without getting cold hands.

The drawback is that they look crap. :-D

I highly rate bar muffs in the cold - I have them on the CG commuter. I wear summer gloves all year round now without getting cold hands.

Yeah - well, I'm not exactly a picture of elegance myself so looks aren't the key issue.

Yeah - well, I'm not exactly a picture of elegance myself so looks aren't the key issue.

Well. I do rate them for keeping my hands a bit less cold. Yes they look crap. Had a set of tartan ones (thanks Mum, what else do you get for your motorcycling sons 18th) on my 400/4 late 70's and they looked crap but i could still feel my fingers and therefore concentrate on the fun bits of riding. They really help keeping the limited heat from the Chinese heated grips, without the muffs anything over 30MPH the wind cools them too much.

here they are and now 15W and only £3.28 wow order now for next winter!!!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-Universal-Motorcycle-Motorbike-Handlebar-Warm-Heated-Grip-Kit-Jx/143367100549?hash=item2161585885:g:18wAAOSwbn9cxmmr

These work very well and heat up within 20 secs, the wires are too thin really they lose about 1.0V in the short run so around 2W wasted in total, also I used an inline 5A fuse and better heatshrink that actually shrinks more to grips the elements to the bars.

I use 2 x 10W LED Aquarium lights on the front as DRL and LED tail and clock lights to keep the generator load down, with all on it is around the same as with the 35W candle headlamp on but a greater chance of the people who do take the bother to look of seeing me.

looks a mildish day today so will be in the shed with th Z500.

Rob

These have a semi rigid collar to get your gloved hands in and out easy, I did have a concern about the Front brake getting pushed on but even at 45 MPH+ the cloth does not push on the lever at all, it does take up a bit of the free play on the clutch lever though but not a problem. I do use a few reusable cable ties to keep them in position as the cloth strands are not up to it.

Hope you are doing OK, Regards

rob B

Guest Richzx6r

These have a semi rigid collar to get your gloved hands in and out easy, I did have a concern about the Front brake getting pushed on but even at 45 MPH+ the cloth does not push on the lever at all, it does take up a bit of the free play on the clutch lever though but not a problem. I do use a few reusable cable ties to keep them in position as the cloth strands are not up to it.

Hope you are doing OK, Regards

rob B

Yea I'm back to full health now just still scratching around trying to find a job.....

Guest Richzx6r

Yea I'm back to full health now just still scratching around trying to find a job.....

Go do mine while I'm on sick.......

What do you do?

Go do mine while I'm on sick.......

What do you do?

Peasant wagon driver!

Took Bridget out for her first official ride :yay: , adjusted her brakes and lubed her chain then took her out round the local streets for ten minutes :thumb: , brakes need a bit more tweeking but all is good and she pulls well good strong engine in her, only ordered the parts for the starter and a sparkplug, the sidestand will have to wait as the footrest will need changing which will need the exhaust to be removed, so for now while everything else is okay i can live without a sidestand :lol:

Fixed clocks on Mrs' new bike not getting power when ignition is switched off. And installed (but not yet tested) her a gear indicator (at her request).

Next is tank grips, and adjustable footpegs. And she's all done for now!

I love it when I can post in here :-)

Today I changed the oil and the oil filter on my bike. I intended to change the air filter too but when taking the full tank off I could not stop the fuel dripping out of the ‘out pipe’ and I had just filled it up (lesson learned) so could not tilt it to stop it dripping so abandon ship on that. I did learn that although the manual says to undo the two bolts holding the tank at the back it is easier to take the frame they are bolted into out than get to those two bolts.

Then I try to change the rear brake light switch. That was tough and the connector/wires seemed to have joined together in corrosion causing for the wire from the batter to the connector (bike side as opposed to switch side) has snapped. Now I have to mend that, do I have to run new wire from wherever it comes from to that connector or can I extend what is there using another connector or chocolate block? I’ll ask in pitstop at some point.

Some photosD3A24EEF-253B-41D8-A14A-66952666D89F.thumb.jpeg.c2687ed57c9a8c78835b9544ea296309.jpeg

2C11B280-BD92-4261-8A46-41494B48367B.thumb.jpeg.241a54340904d665eb81b2b24ec1a149.jpeg

3B9FE14C-8BB4-4119-AC67-2C8AA6CD9D57.thumb.jpeg.76fc15f95f71e66ca011ceaaa7ba3cc2.jpeg

53DF6EFB-0A6A-4D12-899B-F68C89363B60.thumb.jpeg.c99f9cbeec7d9cd37cb45deb77de0cfc.jpeg

0969644D-8177-42B7-8B29-C331B583A74C.thumb.jpeg.f46ef0e8ae10a96b744083311cafea7f.jpeg

936F91B2-AA6F-4AD9-852B-FE3CA2D6F363.thumb.jpeg.8d03ed777578d4e39482868b483fca54.jpeg

1BAA2347-CA52-4CD8-A90D-3B0EF1AFE93F.thumb.jpeg.5a21233c90e1597c372d3a782f6ee703.jpeg

Guest Richzx6r

I love it when I can post in here :-)

Today I changed the oil and the oil filter on my bike. I intended to change the air filter too but when taking the full tank off I could not stop the fuel dripping out of the ‘out pipe’ and I had just filled it up (lesson learned) so could not tilt it to stop it dripping so abandon ship on that. I did learn that although the manual says to undo the two bolts holding the tank at the back it is easier to take the frame they are bolted into out than get to those two bolts.

Then I try to change the rear brake light switch. That was tough and the connector/wires seemed to have joined together in corrosion causing for the wire from the batter to the connector (bike side as opposed to switch side) has snapped. Now I have to mend that, do I have to run new wire from wherever it comes from to that connector or can I extend what is there using another connector or chocolate block? I’ll ask in pitstop at some point.

Some photosD3A24EEF-253B-41D8-A14A-66952666D89F.jpeg

As much as a faf on that it will be I'd probably opt for replacing the wire somewhere that is easy to get to as it looks bloody tight there so chase it back and splice in a new bit so you have piece of mind that its not likely to fail for a while