What did you do to your bike today? (part 4)

oldgrump

Nice work James , your confidence as a mechanic seems to be growing apace . One thing though . You mentioned that when you disconnected the tank that petrol was pissing out . Two reasons spring to mind as to why that happened . One , the vacuum operated tap is stuck open and two , you have the tap ( if there is one ) set on Prime . I don't know the exact set up on a ZZR without looking it up but it shouldn't have happened .

Okay [mention]fastbob[/mention] regardijh at tap there was something that looked like a button was pushed in by the seat being in place but could not see any turning style tap stop cock type thing.

I’ll go through the manual a bit more and see what I can work out.

There is not an exposed tap to be able to put on reserve or anything like that.

Okay @fastbob regardijh at tap there was something that looked like a button was pushed in by the seat being in place but could not see any turning style tap stop cock type thing.

Ok , must be entirely automatic . Do you have a reserve switch though ?

Okay @fastbob regardijh at tap there was something that looked like a button was pushed in by the seat being in place but could not see any turning style tap stop cock type thing.

Not that I know of, I have the lights blink at me to say I have low fuel and I go get some. I’ll go through the owners book and manual tomorrow to make sense of it. The air filter I will do once I take a load of fuel out by riding and I will take pictures of what I find when I get to it :-)

Not that I know of, I have the lights blink at me to say I have low fuel and I go get some. I’ll go through the owners book and manual tomorrow to make sense of it. The air filter I will do once I take a load of fuel out by riding and I will take pictures of what I find when I get to it :-)

You do have a vacuum operated tap and the design of the internals is the same as my ER5 and is therefore unreliable. Let me know if and when you get to it because I know how to fix them .

It may be the same as in My GPX. The fuel tap is a vacuum operated unit but there is a prime facility which on the GPX was a button at the rear of the fuel “tap”. So fuel will run out if the button is pressed. Or the unit may just be knackered.

Good to see your little one helping. :thumb: She’ll have a bike if her own in next to no time. Then the fun starts.

Zzr from memory is not vacuum fed

Zzr1100 d is on and off

Zzr1100 c is on and off

Zzr600 e had on off res

If you tilt the tank too far it will come out of the overflow. Best to remove tank fully if working on bike as they are prone to being weak near the rear mount and corrode .

Do something ( marker pen or red lenstape) to difuse / cover over those fuel lights as at night they will blind you if flashing and distract you .....

Thanks @fastbob what’s in clover in fixing it?

@JRH i look forwards to getting her a geared fifty in a little over a decade, if she want one :/)

What's involved in fixing it ? ( 😁 ) Usually the microscopic hole in this component has become blocked and needs poking through . I use a single bristle from a fine wire brush or a piece of guitar string ( High E ) Oddly , in the drawing , the diaphragms are not illustrated and they are the fiddly bit .

Polish_20200216_091035680.png.592640a17a2d9109fdf6fd67c491cefb.png

Thanks for responses. Would process mean entirely empty tank to be able to take that off and apart?

Not completely empty , as long as you can lean it against the wall with the level below the tap and filler . If you want to avoid spillage you could stick a brake hose clamp on the fuel line . Or use a small pair of pliers and a zip tie .

Screenshot_20200216-094153.thumb.png.386dc6773e3babfdf6e46720ec3d3a20.png

Done Bridgets starter, this is what it looked like when i first took it apart to do a temp fix :thumb:

P1020647.JPG.5e6a570e75f9cc63d57fa0bd8391ac21.JPG

All done now with the new Brush set

P1020648.JPG.faa48edc8c2020ae465d320f7b3e39b6.JPG

Now back on Bridget and working great, also new sparkplug fitted and brakes tweeked a bit more while i had the spanners out :thumb:

Done Bridgets starter, this is what it looked like when i first took it apart to do a temp fix :thumb:

P1020647.JPG

All done now with the new Brush set

P1020648.JPG

Now back on Bridget and working great, also new sparkplug fitted and brakes tweeked a bit more while i had the spanners out :thumb:

You should be doing a write up in a separate thread of what you have done and why :thumb:

Bridget is all back together now, just finished the last few jobs, cleaning and refitting the front sprocket cover and the chain guard, and i only have a couple of bits left over :thumb: , one is a locking washer but for a splined bolt or something and a little plastic bung no idea where that goes so overall pretty happy, she just needs a good clean and polish now :cheers:

I would appreciate it if you did @dynax

Help me learn of this stuff works :-)

i will get something up when i get the chance and i will have to try and source some pictures from the web as i only took a couple of photos myself :thumb:

Bridget is all back together now, just finished the last few jobs, cleaning and refitting the front sprocket cover and the chain guard, and i only have a couple of bits left over :thumb: , one is a locking washer but for a splined bolt or something and a little plastic bung no idea where that goes so overall pretty happy, she just needs a good clean and polish now :cheers:

Hi Mate

It is worth checking the front sprocket nut as these are often secured with a washer that bends over and the shaft is splined.

Just thinking that if the nut did spin loose it could be a disaster.

Hopefully I am wrong !

Cheers

Ian

Hi Mate

It is worth checking the front sprocket nut as these are often secured with a washer that bends over and the shaft is splined.

Just thinking that if the nut did spin loose it could be a disaster.

Hopefully I am wrong !

Cheers

Ian

Not the front sprocket already checked the main possibilities :scratch: not to worry if it's something crucial i'm sure i will soon find out :lol: