Riding in the Bus Lane

JackieOWheels

Hi folks,

I want some input on this as I've noticed on my daily commutes to and from work that all the "experienced" bikers are riding in the bus lane to filter through the traffic queue, the bus lane in Glasgow clearly do not allow motorcyclist to use it but every biker I see is using it (especially in the morning); I just wanted to know if it is common in other cities too and where they stand if they get caught out by Police, it's not uncommon that Police are stationed on the main road I ride from time to time to assess traffic flow but I haven't seen them for a while.

When I mean "experienced bikers" I tend to mean full licensed bikers riding by that are the main culprits more than learner riders, I do see a fair share of them using it too but they tend to follow suit whenever they see someone else doing it as they go pass them, it's kind of like a scene from Wacky races for folk trying to get to work the fastest. :scratch:

Use them in my city where a sign say NO and you're going to get a ticket sooner or later.

They are currently running an experiment to allow bikes, but only in a very few bus lanes. the rest? its a definite no-no.

but every city/town is different and its possible that in some places its ignored.. unless or until something goes horribly wrong.

It's one of the most irritating issues in some towns and cities. Some bus lanes specifically allow motorbikes to use them, others in the same city (Bristol is one) are not for motorbike use. You just have to read the signs. Would I use a bus lane that did not specify motorbike use? Probably not as there's too much risk of getting done especially as many are camera monitored.

Chester allows bike to use the bus lanes so when I lived there I did. If bikes are not permitted then I wouldn't as they are increasingly monitored and I know a few mates who have been fined even when only using the available road space to pass a car turning right.

Guest Richzx6r

What's the fine for this offense anyway?

20 years hard labour in a Siberian chain gang breaking rocks eating nothing but dust and sucking the moisture off of the rocks you have broken

They've got quite a few in Reading. Handy for the commute when the traffic is busy but would rather not use them if it isn't as you have to be very careful of cars turning left across the lanes.

Birmingham is mostly allowing the use of bus lanes for bikes and I do.

Whenever I’m not allowed I do not, wherever I am. Mostly I can still filter and do not fancy a fine.

Some bits of the hagley road changed a year or so back Its cycle taxi and bus only but most in the city ur right are fine. I'm working in Bournville but will be moving to Aston soon not such fun commuting 😔

At the moment I’m south Brum and I commute to Wolverhampton or West Brom. I also sometimes commute to Streetly. There’s 30 metres of the bus lane on the A34 coming back from Streetly that is not for motorbikes which seems odd.

Wolverhampton seems much less motorbike friendly than Brum. No free parking for a start!