What did you do to your bike today? (part 4)

oldgrump

Rode it in the rain to work through the 1ft deep floods despite having not ridden it since it was freshly cleaned a week ago :crybaby:

Mrs has taken hers to work cos we're riding to her mum's straight afterwards. Meaning I had to take mine this time :(

Doesn't she realise I got her into biking so hers can rust on my daily winter commute instead of mine? :scratch:

Today I took off my rusting (chunks flaking off) exhaust and scrubbed it to death with wire brush and sand paper. I then spray painted it with BBQ paint. it looks great again, for how long who knows.

I replaced the throttle grip as a small piece of plastic had snapped off making the throttle slack.

I lubed the choke,throttle and clutch cable with 3 in 1 oil ( is that OK stuff to use and also is there a better wasy to get it in than sitting there half drip by half drip for 6 years?)

I added some weighted bar ends to help with the finger numbing vibration ( they help a bit)

I cleaned my chain, re-tensioned it and lubed it. (muc off smells so good)

I removed and cleaned (compressed air) the air filter, its a paper box cylinder type thingy.

I replaced some corroded bolts on the headlight fairing with new ones also new exhaust manifold nuts.

I fitted an immobilizer/alarm.( 9 pin plug and play) works great, also has a remote start feature but not sure about bothering with that. £16. bargain?

added some carb cleaner and topped up the fuel.

checked the spark plug, all fine.

I used diet coke and some fine wet and dry to clean off some rust spots on the forks, i then used some autosol polish and finally lithium grease to protect them.

I took the bike for a test run and noticed I had not put a nut on a bolt that held the rear part of the exhaust to the frame so the bolt went awol. had to visit the hardware shop to get a new one. You plonker!

looks almost good as new despite the dirt and the photo being taken on a turnip.

my-bike-febuary.jpg

Don't know if it applies to your bike but, if the choke, throttle or clutch cables are teflon lined as is common these days, they should not be oiled.

Thats a whole new concept to me. i am going to hope that given my bike was made with noodles and arrowroot it wont have them. fingers crossed.

Graphite,silicone and PTFE lubricants are also an option for brake and clutch cables, some have a straw that fits in the nozzle for tight hard to reach areas just a few squirts and away you go :thumb:

Graphite,silicone and PTFE lubricants are also an option for brake and clutch cables, some have a straw that fits in the nozzle for tight hard to reach areas just a few squirts and away you go :thumb:

thank you , will take a nosey at those.

Anyone tried Slinky Glide cables ? I bought some throttle cables for the ER5 and the issue I have is that they are too good ! They are so frictionless that I find it very difficult to hold the throttle steady especially on a bumpy road .

Anyone tried Slinky Glide cables ? I bought some throttle cables for the ER5 and the issue I have is that they are too good ! They are so frictionless that I find it very difficult to hold the throttle steady especially on a bumpy road .

can you fit a slightly heavier spring to the throttle bodies/carbs?

A selection of them here :thumb:

https://www.toolstation.com/automotive/lubricants-sprays/c264

can you fit a slightly heavier spring to the throttle bodies/carbs?

Yep , that might work but to be honest a bit of friction would be preferable . I bet these are great as clutch and brake cables though .

Wash it, dry it, sprayed xcp rust stop, cleaned the chain, lube it with xcp chain lube and once dried cover it with Vaseline. Cleaned discs and brakes, plugged exhaust, lift on the ABBA stand, connected to battery tender, chained to the ground anchor, chained all around, disc locks, alarms, covered with bike cover, garage locked, alarm armed. Kissed for two months hibernation, made wife and dog jealous. Who cares they will cool down by the time I return. :damn:

Further to my advice re not lubricating teflon lined cables, here's a quote from Venhill (manufacturer of replacement cables and hoses) :-

" ..... Lubrication will not improve performance or feel. By lubricating you run the risk of clogging the cable and allowing dirt to stick to the surfaces ....."

Further to my advice re not lubricating teflon lined cables, here's a quote from Venhill (manufacturer of replacement cables and hoses) :-

" ..... Lubrication will not improve performance or feel. By lubricating you run the risk of clogging the cable and allowing dirt to stick to the surfaces ....."

I am somewhat a of a blank canvass here regarding bike engineering. I cannot understand if this post is relevant to mine or not, please clarify.

@jafman I think you will be okay using lubricants, i can't see the chinese manufacturers using high end products like teflon coated cables :thumb:

That was my logic too. The exhaust is made of tofu or something similar. cheers.