North West Dealer Question

MarkK92

Hi All,

Sorry if this is in wrong place but been looking at my first big bike and got down to 3 potential dealers to buy from. They are:

- Bill Smith Motors, Chester

- CMC Motorcycles, Manchester

- Youles Motorcycles, Manchester

Just wanted to see if anyone has dealt with any of these? Good to get an idea on how they are post sale, service costs, parts etc.

Thanks

Mark

I've bought from Bill Smith's. Excellent service from them and nice people to deal with.

I have the Triumph serviced there and they do a first class job. Because I look after my bikes they discount the service cost for the he things they see don't need doing.

The Bobber was less new from them than the price of a used one elsewhere.

i think Bill smith has been around for a while and reputable but i have never dealt with him, i have just looked and he has been in business since 1959 so things could be ok

Yes, they have been around for a while. Good point!

I've bought from Bill Smith's. Excellent service from them and nice people to deal with.

I have the Triumph serviced there and they do a first class job. Because I look after my bikes they discount the service cost for the he things they see don't need doing.

Thanks very much. Really helpful stuff.

I've been down there twice now and 2nd time was for a test ride and they've been great. Person I've been dealing with has been great and not pushing me to rush into buying a bike at all.

Basically my top two bikes currently are MT09 and Street Triple RS. They do both so it makes it more simple from that point of view

Yes Bill Smiths been around along time, known them since I was a teenager.

I used to live close to them when they were based in Westminster road.

They now have 2 shops, Hondas on the A41 just outside Chester and other makes nearer to Chester town centre.

I often drop in the all makes shop, good burger/coffee van in the car park.

Thanks very much. Really helpful stuff.

I've been down there twice now and 2nd time was for a test ride and they've been great. Person I've been dealing with has been great and not pushing me to rush into buying a bike at all.

Basically my top two bikes currently are MT09 and Street Triple RS. They do both so it makes it more simple from that point of view

Both cracking bikes, have fun deciding which one to buy.

Hi All,

Sorry if this is in wrong place but been looking at my first big bike and got down to 3 potential dealers to buy from. They are:

- Bill Smith Motors, Chester

- CMC Motorcycles, Manchester

- Youles Motorcycles, Manchester

Just wanted to see if anyone has dealt with any of these? Good to get an idea on how they are post sale, service costs, parts etc.

Thanks

Mark

Hi,

I cannot comment on the three you mention but i have bought two used motorbikes from Wigan Yamaha. One was a YBR 125 and one was a Honda Hornet. They are very pleasant to deal with, not pushy and the service i had from them was good. I had an issue post sale with the YBR and it was fixed quickly without fuss. The quality of the servicing is good but as they are a main dealer it is a littler on the high side.

Hope that helps.

I bought a new bike with a 3 year service plan from a local dealer. Not a fancy transferable one like you can get from Honda but directly from the dealer. 6 months later they went into liquidation. I was gutted, I had never bought any type of service plan before but this one was a good deal (I wonder why....). Anyway, a short time after it closed down it re-opened as CMC. I was in their having a look around and got chatting to one of the sales guys. Told him about my service plan woes. He disappeared off for 5 minutes and came back and told me that CMC would honour the entire 3 year plan. No strings attached. Absolutely no need for them to do this for me, it was a genuine a generous offer of goodwill. Later found out that they extended this offer to other people in the same situation. So, while I can't stand the fact they charge an "admin fee" to buy a bike (I would insist the removed this if I bought from them) I have a soft spot for them. They can be a bit expensive on some bikes buts customer service in my experience is top notch. Ive bought lots of parts and accessories from them since. Internet is cheaper but when a dealer looks after me I don't mind spending a few extra quid making sure they are there when I next need the personal touch.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks all. Really helpful stuff.

Test rode the new BMW F900R today at BMW Chester. Enjoyed it, however I think I prefer the sound of a triple to be honest. Although I found the F900R very smooth to ride and fun accelerating. Top range wasn't as good as a MT09 or Street Triple but still liked it.

I did find the wind better on the F900R than the MT09. The MT09 is lower down on the front I guess but it was quite bad. Appreciate it's a naked so its never going to be great but just with my plan to commute on it, it would be good if I could keep it down as much as possible.

Really difficult decision. Got test rides coming up with Kawasaki, Ducati and KTM soon so will see what they're like