Chain Lubricant

125cc

Hey folks. Hope you and your bikes haven't all been blown away/drowned in this awful weather we're getting of recent.

One of the joys of winter riding is trying to keep the chain clean and lubricated with all the salt, mud and general crud that's around on the roads. Since I started riding over 18 months ago I've been using Tru-Tension Banana Lube which seems to work OK however it doesn't seem to be the most durable stuff at this time of year - a little exposure to rain/puddles (every day of recent...) or if the roads are ever gritted (as in, most days up this way...) and the stuff's washed off and my chain turns to a nice rusty brown colour as tinworm threatens to set in.

Asking what's the best lube to use is a bit like asking what's the best beer - everyone's got their own favourites for their own reasons, and there's loads of different brands and types all offering to be "the best" solution. One thing I was starting to wonder however is perhaps the type of lubricant that I'm using is unsuitable for this time of year. I'm starting to think that perhaps the "dry" type which seems to stick a lot better is more suited to winter use. Old-timers and off-roaders use that grease/wax stuff that you heat up on the hob then leave the chain to marinate in... sounds ideal but not practical for me unless I want to remove the chain/wheel etc. every week.

At the risk of starting a never-ending argument, what type does everyone find the most suitable for winter use? I think my chain on my 125 is an O-Ring type but I'm clueless if I'm honest.

I used everything including Vaseline and all were the same, so I don’t have preference anymore.

Only one I didn’t try yet, chain oiler.

I am eager to test it.

The two things I always remove from a new bike is the alarm and the chain oiler. They may be better now but it used to be the case that the amount of oil you got varied depending on the temperature so you either you ended up with a dry chain or oil all over the wheel if you ride in all weathers.

I use the muc off extreme luge in the winter it's a dry lube and I've found it the best so stick with it and buy it when it's on offer. In the summer I use any wet lube I think I have some wd40 stuff which has been fine but im not too fussy with what to use in the summer just a wet lube. I ride my bike all year round and have had no issues with the muc off stuff does a great job no corrosion on my chain.

My own experience is that the expensive modern synthetic lubes are far more durable than cheaper gear oil.

Of these, the muc off ones are ok, so get my vote. I can't think of a better one out of those I have tried. They are far from being perfect but no chain lube is

I don't think you can marinate your chain unless you have a very old one as modern chains have o and x rings

I believe that gear oil is perfectly fine. But muck off all weather wet lube smells so good. I don't wear aftershave which people pay a premium for, so I don't feel bad about shelling out for this stuff. Glows under uv too which is really handy...

Guest Richzx6r

I use muc off too.....when I actually remember to do the chain.......must admit I do neglect it somewhat preferring just to be out riding rather than cleaning it

Spend more get more. Stands to reason. Or so the manufacturers would have you believe.

It's all just a conspiracy to extract cash from your wallet. I read that in Reddit so it must be true.

I tried the expensive stuff.. And got rust. I then went back to using gear oil.. I still get rust. But for some reason it doesn't drive me up the wall so much due to the feeling I've been ripped off by false promises and an unlikely and wholly incongruous fruity smell or a lube that will glow under UV.. Or play bloody abba.

Obviously when I say rust I only mean the slightest ruddy discolouration as I'm no fool.. I put a stop to it immediately. Firm but fair.

No stiff links ere missus. "Keep it greasy" as the late Frank Zappa used to say. (Or sing)

It less of what you use and more of how you use it. In bad weather I do my chain every few days as the bike is used daily in very wet and muddy conditions, it is hosed down after every trip so the chain gets a hammering.

In the summer dry wax spray. In the winter gear oil applied with sparingly and wiped with a cloth.

Most importantly, you must use a cotton bud on the teeth of the cogs to apply fresh unicorn tears every new moon.

Most importantly, you must use a cotton bud on the teeth of the cogs to apply fresh unicorn tears every new moon.

Ha. Any fool know's it's the FULL moon not the new moon. Honestly the youth of today.

Whichever.....it is many moons since anyone referred to me as a youth.

Cheers everyone. Looks like I just need to stop being lazy and do the chain more often! Simple as that really.

Thanks anyway for all the info. Much bedtime reading. Never thought of trying gear oil but there again it looks like I just need to clean/lube up more often... arf arf.

Cheers everyone. Looks like I just need to stop being lazy and do the chain more often! Simple as that really.

Thanks anyway for all the info. Much bedtime reading. Never thought of trying gear oil but there again it looks like I just need to clean/lube up more often... arf arf.

as its a 125 does the chain have a split link :?:

as its a 125 does the chain have a split link :?:

Yep. Quite a handy reference for keeping track of how much of the chain you've done...