Another newbie seeking advice/thoughts

glm9737

Firstly apologies for yet another 'which bike' thread.

I've done the 2 stages of obtaining my full A licence, got Mod 1 & 2 booked soon and will keep going until I pass, if I fail either mods first time. Been driving for 30+ years and have C+E, Car Licence and driven pretty much every day for those 30+ years in various countries and roads, conditions, so am aware of hazards. Also did a far bit of commuting to work on me pushbike in a previous job.

I intend to purchase a motorbike as soon as I pass my test, although finding it hard not to get one now and keep it in my garage until i have passed. I'm 52 and financially solvent now I am not subsidising my kids' social life and my wife has pretty much been bought everything she wants.....so my money is mostly for me now.

Right onto advice. First bike? I like things out of the box and have my eye on either the Husky Svartpilen 401 or the KTM duke 390. I intend to use it to have fun and during the nice days commute to work (18 miles on M4 to bristol and back home). Rest of time the bike will be for scooting about on country roads and through towns etc but in the dry. I want something fun, practical, good around town and country roads with an ability to stay at 70 on the times i will be on the motorways. I also like it to be pleasing on the eye hence the Husky & KTM favourites.

Advice I've seen is go for a 500-750cc bike and I do like the rebel 500 and Kawa z650/SV650, but my eyes are drawn to the Husky & KTM. I'm 5ft9 and 13 stones dripping wet and have sat on both and they feel fine for me. Obviously i need to test drive once I've passed my tests. I need a bike that lets me sit uprightish as i don't like leaning forward, never liked a racing pushbike.

Do you think the 400cc's would be good for me as a new rider or look at my higher cc choices? I'll be doing my Mods on a kawa 650 and do like the look of that. I also want to be able to have a little in reserve to get past the occasional sunday driver when safe to do so on the country roads.

Any advice is appreciated and I'll keep you's all updated if and when I pass and make my choice, I bet you canna wait.....

Hi!

As far as bikes are concerned I'll give you the advice I always give everybody......which is based on owning motorcycles since 1971:

"Buy Jap or get f@cked up the ass".

Now have you looked at something like the Honda CB500X.......excellent bike and could be a good fit for you!

01-honda-cb500x-2018-rojo-perfil.thumb.jpg.f8382f146252d518d111ad863e065cb3.jpg

Try lots before you decide. What looks good on paper might not feel the same when ridden. Bikes are a very individual thing so what suits someone else won't be your ideal bike. You really need to spend a good long time trying a few to know what feels right for you.

Nothing wrong with 400 sized engines. They will keep up with traffic on the motorway and be easy to ride through town congestion. But there's also nothing wrong with bigger engines, a mate bought himself the NC750 for good weather commuting and weekend riding and he's very happy with it. On paper it looks low on power for its size but he loves it and everyone I've spoken to with one is very happy.

The CB500 range are very good bikes with a variety of styles to choose from.

Cheers fella's. I'm going to fire down to Fowlers in Bristol over the weekend as its not far from me and they have a huge choice. Have a mate who's got the Honda 750 DCT and he swears by it and another old mob mate who has a CCM and swears by it.

You're right, what can be pleasing on the eye may not be so good on the roads. I'm not a speed freak, have long got that out of my system, just want something that can get me out of a jam when required and not pull wheelies down the road. My mono-cycle days are long, long gone..

Cheers fella's. I'm going to fire down to Fowlers in Bristol over the weekend as its not far from me and they have a huge choice. Have a mate who's got the Honda 750 DCT and he swears by it and another old mob mate who has a CCM and swears by it.

You're right, what can be pleasing on the eye may not be so good on the roads. I'm not a speed freak, have long got that out of my system, just want something that can get me out of a jam when required and not pull wheelies down the road. My mono-cycle days are long, long gone..

Haven't been to Fowler's for about 20 years........back then they had a stunning showroom.

Have you checked out George White's in Swindon......if they're still there of course!

The last bike I bought in Britain back in 2005 was from George White's.......new XT660R.

Haven't been to Fowler's for about 20 years........back then they had a stunning showroom.

Have you checked out George White's in Swindon......if they're still there of course!

The last bike I bought in Britain back in 2005 was from George White's.......new XT660R.

George Whites is now home based i believe, no showroom. Blades in Swindon is good as well, fowlers about 5 mins walk from temple meads and large choice of various bikes and a cracking cafe.

George Whites is now home based i believe, no showroom. Blades in Swindon is good as well, fowlers about 5 mins walk from temple meads and large choice of various bikes and a cracking cafe.

Fowler's has a long, long history in the industry!

Very few of these old names left now.

Anything can become boring but you may get used to a 400 or below very quickly, not a problem though you just buy something else 😁

Vstrom comes in a range of sizes from 250 up and are upright comfy bikes.

Other than that buy what feels right and you like looking at, just like choosing a woman really

• 5 months later...

Thought I'd post an update since it's been months due to the 'Rona.

After the DVSA opened up have done and passed both Mod 1 & 2 with one minor on each, finally!! Now the learning starts.

Also, bought a 2016, Street Triple to learn on for the next couple of years. Better photo's when I've cleaned her up, and added a few mod's....

Now to check routes round leafy Wiltshire and the south west for ride outs.

117636806_675STR.thumb.jpg.19d60ea152ef823189943ad0c1739445.jpg

Hi!

As far as bikes are concerned I'll give you the advice I always give everybody......which is based on owning motorcycles since 1971:

Now have you looked at something like the Honda CB500X.......excellent bike and could be a good fit for you!

yep my mate and his wife have one and they love it, and i used to have the 1999 model :)

Hi!

That would be the perfect bike for my upcoming trip to Scotland . So I'm going on a 1200 Sportster with straight through pipes and a peanut tank . 😁