Damp leather help......please :-(

Have a question about what clothing to buy, not sure what luggage or security would be best, looking for information on good deals available? Check out our Tried and Tested section of the forum....... still cant find an answer? Please post here!!
APR
Bike(s): 2005 Yamaha R6
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 14 times

Damp leather help......please :-(

Post by APR » Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:13 pm

Hey all, not been on for a while so hope everyone is good. I’ve managed two days on the bike so far this year, and maybe I shouldn’t have been on it for the first one because I almost came off as I pulled out of the street hahaaaa!!

Anyway, when I moved house at the end of last year I had to ride the r6 over on a cold, wet night. Not ideal for me, but it was either that or leave her there lol. Like an absolute idiot, I took my leathers off in the lock up when I put her on the stands and left them there....wet....and cold!!! Yes, they’re now damp! For the last few weeks I’ve aired them out in the house, and some of the damp has gone BUT after several attempts at wiping them over and letting them dry again, that smell is still there!! Oh the smell :| !! They weren’t overly damp, with mould mainly on the zips at the bottom of the sleeves and a little on the inner lining of the sleeves! But the smell is awful!! Is there anything else I can do/use to finish the job or should I admit defeat and bin them?

I’ve had my eye on a two piece Dainese suit since I passed my test last year, and also a two piece Alpinestars suit too. They were what I really wanted but couldn’t justify the cost considering everything else I’d laid out. If these are ruined, then I guess I can now justify it :P

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Andy

dynax
Subscriber
Bike(s): Xena, Bridget, Florence (WIP)
Has liked: 2282 times
Been liked: 1319 times

Re: Damp leather help......please :-(

Post by dynax » Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:44 pm

Get some proper leather cleaner and give them a good scrub, then apply some moisturising cream, if you have a fabric liner use some febreeze after a clean with a damp cloth :thumb:
Mike, just cruising around with Xena 8-)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmihUc ... subscriber

APR

Post by APR » Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:50 pm

Amazing, thanks! I’ve been using leather cleaner, over and over so at least I was on the right track. I’ll pick up some moisturising cream today and plenty of febreeze. Fingers crossed I can save them, they fit perfectly now and don’t have a mark on them!! Cheers @dynax

skyrider
Bike(s): yamaha 225 serow
Has liked: 396 times
Been liked: 790 times

Post by skyrider » Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:27 pm

try renapur leather balsam its good stuff
the law in all it's majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges to beg in the street and to steal bread.
anatole france

APR

Post by APR » Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:58 pm

@skyrider funnily enough, that’s exactly what I ordered off amazon when dynax recommended some moisturiser. To be fair, it is AMAZING stuff. Over 5k 5star reviews was enough to convince me to buy it, although I did get the scented stuff too.

I thought I’d solved the problem, Conditioned the leather and then the next morning I could smell it again!! I think it’s only in the lining now, not the actual leather. I’ve wiped it down and then used febreeze AT LEAST 15 times. I’m guessing I’ll admit defeat soon.

James in Brum
Subscriber
Bike(s): ZZR600D1
Has liked: 130 times
Been liked: 462 times

Post by James in Brum » Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:10 pm

I wonder if it is worth spraying anti-bacterial spray? Usually odours in fabrics are the bacteria aren’t they?
Time spent being groovy to each other is always well
Spent

Stu
Site Admin
Bike(s): FJR1300 & BMW F650ST
Has liked: 4052 times
Been liked: 3523 times

Post by Stu » Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:16 pm

I had the same problem with a pair of gloves

I ended up putting them on and washing them in a bowl of water and detergent of some sort! I can't remember which it was but it got rid the smell

The trouble then was the leather was pretty stiff and shrunk and no about of leather feed helped! although they was a spare pair so I didn't use them often to see if they would stretch out again!

They ended up in the bin
Fines are taxes for doing bad, taxes are fines for doing good.

skyrider
Bike(s): yamaha 225 serow
Has liked: 396 times
Been liked: 790 times

Post by skyrider » Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:18 pm

APR wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:58 pm
@skyrider funnily enough, that’s exactly what I ordered off amazon when dynax recommended some moisturiser. To be fair, it is AMAZING stuff. Over 5k 5star reviews was enough to convince me to buy it, although I did get the scented stuff too.

I thought I’d solved the problem, Conditioned the leather and then the next morning I could smell it again!! I think it’s only in the lining now, not the actual leather. I’ve wiped it down and then used febreeze AT LEAST 15 times. I’m guessing I’ll admit defeat soon.
wrap it around the tank in the cylinder cupboard for a few days and see what happens
the law in all it's majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges to beg in the street and to steal bread.
anatole france

dynax
Subscriber
Bike(s): Xena, Bridget, Florence (WIP)
Has liked: 2282 times
Been liked: 1319 times

Post by dynax » Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:20 pm

James in Brum wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:10 pm
I wonder if it is worth spraying anti-bacterial spray? Usually odours in fabrics are the bacteria aren’t they?
This is worth trying :thumb:
Mike, just cruising around with Xena 8-)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmihUc ... subscriber

MikeHorton
Bike(s): Yamaha Tracer 900GT,
Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 180 times

Post by MikeHorton » Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:10 pm

If you have a steam cleaner steam clean the lining that may kill any smells

APR

Post by APR » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:35 am

Not sure what happened on here last night but I typed a reply and the site just would not load :scratch:

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I’ll pick up some anti-bacterial spray today, give it a good spray and wipe down, then dry it out. I’ll follow up with some steam cleaning. Not sure why I didn’t think about the steam myself.

I’ll post an update when I’ve tried these, for anyone that suffers from the same problem in the future. Moral of the story is.....don’t be an idiot by leaving leathers in an unheated, no ventilated room when you’ve been riding in the wet :lol:
I’ve definitely learnt my lesson!!!!!

APR

Post by APR » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:11 am

So, a quick update....

I’ve used anti-bacterial spray, rubbed it in and then mopped up with a damp cloth and allowed to dry near (but not on) a radiator. I then repeatedly steam cleaned the jacket over and over, allowing to dry in between. Sadly, there is still a musty smell :crybaby:

I’ve got one more option that has been suggested to me by a friend, and that is to stick it in the washing machine! I know what you’re thinking, I thought the same thing. But, apparently he’s done this and it worked. There’s a very specific set of instructions, it has to be wrapped in a laundry bag for example, on low heat and no spin (I think), but if that doesn’t work then I’m no better or worse off. Anyone had experience doing this? Any suggestions before I go ahead? It feels a little, well, mad sticking leather in the washing machine but, I’m going to bin it anyway if the smell doesn’t go so I don’t have much to lose really!

raesewell
Bike(s): Yamaha FJR 2013
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 612 times

Post by raesewell » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:20 am

Nothing wrong with putting leather in the washing machine, obviously this is not something to do on a regular basis but as a one off, OK.
As you have already done, make sure you dry it slowly and you might want to wear it around the house before it dries completely. Condition the leather when fully dry.

APR

Post by APR » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:23 am

@raesewell , thanks for the help. I’ll give it a go. I do a similar thing when I get new football or work boots, so that makes sense.

As soon as I’ve done it, success or failure, I’ll post an update for anyone else that has the same problem......I’m sure there has been and will be a few :lol:

Stu
Site Admin
Bike(s): FJR1300 & BMW F650ST
Has liked: 4052 times
Been liked: 3523 times

Post by Stu » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:28 am

Like you have said you have nothing to lose

bang em in on a cool wash and dry them slowly then use some leather feed

they will shrink a little but should stretch back out again
Fines are taxes for doing bad, taxes are fines for doing good.

Return to “Clothing, Luggage, Accessories and Security”