North West Dealer Question

Motorbike related? Can't find what you're looking for below? Then post here!!
MarkK92
Bike(s): Honda CBR600F4, Keeway RKV 125
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 17 times

North West Dealer Question

Post by MarkK92 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:00 pm

Hi All,

Sorry if this is in wrong place but been looking at my first big bike and got down to 3 potential dealers to buy from. They are:

- Bill Smith Motors, Chester
- CMC Motorcycles, Manchester
- Youles Motorcycles, Manchester

Just wanted to see if anyone has dealt with any of these? Good to get an idea on how they are post sale, service costs, parts etc.

Thanks

Mark
Honda CBR600F4
Keeway RKV125

skyrider
Bike(s): yamaha 225 serow
Has liked: 274 times
Been liked: 627 times

Re: North West Dealer Question

Post by skyrider » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:04 pm

i think Bill smith has been around for a while and reputable but i have never dealt with him, i have just looked and he has been in business since 1959 so things could be ok
the law in all it's majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges to beg in the street and to steal bread.
anatole france

Mississippi Bullfrog
Subscriber
Bike(s): Honda CBF500 ABS Triumph Bobber
Has liked: 646 times
Been liked: 1791 times

Post by Mississippi Bullfrog » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:20 pm

I've bought from Bill Smith's. Excellent service from them and nice people to deal with.

I have the Triumph serviced there and they do a first class job. Because I look after my bikes they discount the service cost for the he things they see don't need doing.

The Bobber was less new from them than the price of a used one elsewhere.
Honda CBF500 ABS
Triumph Bobber

MarkK92

Post by MarkK92 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:19 pm

skyrider wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:04 pm
i think Bill smith has been around for a while and reputable but i have never dealt with him, i have just looked and he has been in business since 1959 so things could be ok
Yes, they have been around for a while. Good point!
Honda CBR600F4
Keeway RKV125

MarkK92

Post by MarkK92 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:22 pm

Mississippi Bullfrog wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:20 pm
I've bought from Bill Smith's. Excellent service from them and nice people to deal with.

I have the Triumph serviced there and they do a first class job. Because I look after my bikes they discount the service cost for the he things they see don't need doing.

Thanks very much. Really helpful stuff.

I've been down there twice now and 2nd time was for a test ride and they've been great. Person I've been dealing with has been great and not pushing me to rush into buying a bike at all.

Basically my top two bikes currently are MT09 and Street Triple RS. They do both so it makes it more simple from that point of view
Honda CBR600F4
Keeway RKV125

iangaryprice
Bike(s): Suzuki GSX600F 2003
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 38 times

Post by iangaryprice » Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:42 pm

Yes Bill Smiths been around along time, known them since I was a teenager.
I used to live close to them when they were based in Westminster road.
They now have 2 shops, Hondas on the A41 just outside Chester and other makes nearer to Chester town centre.
I often drop in the all makes shop, good burger/coffee van in the car park.

XTreme
Bike(s): Suzuki V-Strom 650
Has liked: 1503 times
Been liked: 2124 times

Post by XTreme » Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:46 pm

Bought my 2003 Fazer from Bill Smith!

He's a legend in the sport!

Mississippi Bullfrog
Subscriber
Bike(s): Honda CBF500 ABS Triumph Bobber
Has liked: 646 times
Been liked: 1791 times

Post by Mississippi Bullfrog » Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:12 pm

MarkK92 wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:22 pm
Mississippi Bullfrog wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:20 pm

Thanks very much. Really helpful stuff.

I've been down there twice now and 2nd time was for a test ride and they've been great. Person I've been dealing with has been great and not pushing me to rush into buying a bike at all.

Basically my top two bikes currently are MT09 and Street Triple RS. They do both so it makes it more simple from that point of view
Both cracking bikes, have fun deciding which one to buy.
Honda CBF500 ABS
Triumph Bobber

Lanceautoman
Bike(s): Honda CB600F Hornet Past: YBR 125
Has liked: 82 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by Lanceautoman » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:24 pm

MarkK92 wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:00 pm
Hi All,

Sorry if this is in wrong place but been looking at my first big bike and got down to 3 potential dealers to buy from. They are:

- Bill Smith Motors, Chester
- CMC Motorcycles, Manchester
- Youles Motorcycles, Manchester

Just wanted to see if anyone has dealt with any of these? Good to get an idea on how they are post sale, service costs, parts etc.

Thanks

Mark
Hi,

I cannot comment on the three you mention but i have bought two used motorbikes from Wigan Yamaha. One was a YBR 125 and one was a Honda Hornet. They are very pleasant to deal with, not pushy and the service i had from them was good. I had an issue post sale with the YBR and it was fixed quickly without fuss. The quality of the servicing is good but as they are a main dealer it is a littler on the high side.

Hope that helps.
Current: Honda CB600F Hornet
Past: YBR125

"I like my women like i like my bikes, dirty, naked and with minimal talk (torque)".

Car:

Jaguar XJ6 3.0

FallingDown
Subscriber
Bike(s): CRF250 Rally - Streetbob
Has liked: 170 times
Been liked: 241 times

Post by FallingDown » Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:03 pm

I bought a new bike with a 3 year service plan from a local dealer. Not a fancy transferable one like you can get from Honda but directly from the dealer. 6 months later they went into liquidation. I was gutted, I had never bought any type of service plan before but this one was a good deal (I wonder why....). Anyway, a short time after it closed down it re-opened as CMC. I was in their having a look around and got chatting to one of the sales guys. Told him about my service plan woes. He disappeared off for 5 minutes and came back and told me that CMC would honour the entire 3 year plan. No strings attached. Absolutely no need for them to do this for me, it was a genuine a generous offer of goodwill. Later found out that they extended this offer to other people in the same situation. So, while I can't stand the fact they charge an "admin fee" to buy a bike (I would insist the removed this if I bought from them) I have a soft spot for them. They can be a bit expensive on some bikes buts customer service in my experience is top notch. Ive bought lots of parts and accessories from them since. Internet is cheaper but when a dealer looks after me I don't mind spending a few extra quid making sure they are there when I next need the personal touch.

MarkK92

Post by MarkK92 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:53 pm

Thanks all. Really helpful stuff.

Test rode the new BMW F900R today at BMW Chester. Enjoyed it, however I think I prefer the sound of a triple to be honest. Although I found the F900R very smooth to ride and fun accelerating. Top range wasn't as good as a MT09 or Street Triple but still liked it.

I did find the wind better on the F900R than the MT09. The MT09 is lower down on the front I guess but it was quite bad. Appreciate it's a naked so its never going to be great but just with my plan to commute on it, it would be good if I could keep it down as much as possible.

Really difficult decision. Got test rides coming up with Kawasaki, Ducati and KTM soon so will see what they're like
Honda CBR600F4
Keeway RKV125

Return to “Motorbike Chat”