SW scotland, ride?

jafman

Seems this section of the forum could do with a shake up.

Are there any riders in SW scotland ( dumfries- Ayre) that fancy a ride however long or in any direction if so shout !

It should be noted that allthough having lived in Scotland for some time I am English (just in case your ringtone on your phone is 'Bannockburn'

:D

I love riding in Scotland and I try to get up there at least once a year . Unfortunately I live at Junction 3 of the M6 so it's a whole days ride just to get north of Glasgow .

WP_20180716_10_26_56_Pro.thumb.jpg.991523ef9828e32f26a28687270b399d.jpg

IMG_20190704_070416772_HDR.thumb.jpg.d445657f4d3f0af7b0efec98752c4cef.jpg

I love riding in Scotland and I try to get up there at least once a year . Unfortunately I live at Junction 3 of the M6 so it's a whole days ride just to get north of Glasgow .

That bike reminds of the CB 400 super four I had a few hours on last year, It looks honda but is it. What is it? looks reliable and fun! (top pic)

That bike reminds of the CB 400 super four I had a few hours on last year, It looks honda but is it. What is it? looks reliable and fun! (top pic)

That is my trusty little ER5 . I've done most of the NC500 on that . Once you get into the Highlands , speed is not an issue . This is my favourite picture . And here's a link to my journey.https://www.themotorbikeforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=67384&p=1044672&hilit=Scotland#p1044620

Polish_20200210_160522460.thumb.png.102d845cdbb5b48f087bbd27943ea944.png

That is my trusty little ER5 . I've done most of the NC500 on that . Once you get into the Highlands , speed is not an issue . This is my favourite picture . And here's a link to my journey.https://www.themotorbikeforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=67384&p=1044672&hilit=Scotland#p1044620

excellent thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm just outside of Inverness but lucky for me the NC500 starts on my doorstep. Half-tempted to take a few days off in the Summer, sling the camping gear on the back and do it.

Also plenty of nice roads out towards Moray and Aberdeenshire, the A939 is interesting starting from Nairn, round the back of Forres and going thru Grantown-On-Spey etc. but my little Yam would probably overheat and chuck the towel in half-way up Lecht!

Just goes to show how much fun can be had on these wee bikes!

Think I may venture out and stretch my wings a bit further once I get my winter gloves in the post. 8-)

With todays modern 125's the reality is these machines are all anyone actually NEEDS, they are suited for every type of riding that being commuting, popping into town a weekend pootle or a full on tour :thumb:

Some of us sadly have a need for speed but are a bit old and large for sport bikes. Mine does me very nicely thank you and on the one 125 I have actually ridden (on holiday) I firstly felt like one of those bears you used to see riding pedal bikes in circuses and then nearly killed myself when I pulled out to overtake and couldn't. Not for me I'm afraid.

@S-Westerly :lol: What you have is a "WANT" not a "NEED" perhaps what i should have said is that a 125 would be suitable for most peoples basic needs :lol: :thumb:

That is true of motorcycles in general for a lot of people. I use my bike for commuting everyday but if I had to I could manage without it and if necessary I could probably manage without vehicles.

I don’t think bigger than a 125 is necessary but once is started travelling on fuel carriageways a lot it became obvious a bike that could at least keep up with lorries in crap weather or could keep up with lorries on back roads up hills would be super helpful.

• 1 month later...

It should be noted that allthough having lived in Scotland for some time I am English (just in case your ringtone on your phone is 'Bannockburn'

:D

There s a ‘Bannockburn’ ringtone....? :wink:

@S-Westerly :lol: What you have is a "WANT" not a "NEED" perhaps what i should have said is that a 125 would be suitable for most peoples basic needs :lol: :thumb:

well then .. sell yours and buy a 125cc .. :booty:

They are already :booty: :thumb:

Just goes to show how much fun can be had on these wee bikes!

Think I may venture out and stretch my wings a bit further once I get my winter gloves in the post. 8-)

With todays modern 125's the reality is these machines are all anyone actually NEEDS, they are suited for every type of riding that being commuting, popping into town a weekend pootle or a full on tour :thumb:

No no no , I need a 1200 Harley just like I needed an 1100 Suzuki or a Zed 1000 or a GS850 . If you think you can ride the whole M6 followed by the M74 , M8 and the A82 through Glen Coe to Fort William on a 125 in one day then good luck to you .

well then .. sell yours and buy a 125cc .. :booty:

This is like telling the Pope to pray

Guest Richzx6r

I for one definitely couldn't go back to a 125cc as imho they are bloody dangerous I will definitely go with the train of thought of more power is safer and no.....you will not instantly kill yourself as you will be too shit scared to open up a bike with 200+bhp on stepping off a 125 than anything else.

They are easier to ride as the bike is capable of so much and just pootling around is using so little power that you have so much more brain power to be used on observation and everything else that requires your attention

Just my Penny's worth

Great Fun on Small Bikes .

Haha! I must admit those small bikes look fun as hell. Now I know what @Stu's riding on his profile pic.

Are they ever road legal or do you only get to ride them in a track?

Track only and they are great fun!

You would be surprised at how much they handle like a full size bike!

Great Fun on Small Bikes .

Haha! I must admit those small bikes look fun as hell. Now I know what @Stu's riding on his profile pic.

Are they ever road legal or do you only get to ride them in a track?

Well that's an interesting question . When I worked at M&P in Coventry we had a chap called Andy Carlisle working with us on Saturdays and Sundays . We used to sell cheap and nasty Chinese Mini Moto's and Andy bought a yellow one for a laugh . The story goes that he took it for an MOT by walking into the test center with it under his arm in a bin bag . Astonishingly he got a daytime MOT so he started riding it to work on Sunday mornings . He actually used to ride this thing about five miles including going round Coventry Ring Road . I made a vinyl decal of a banana to go on the fairing and I remember that it had a reduced photocopy of the tax disc on the screen . And that's a true story . By the way , Andy Carlisle went on to be the current fastest bike rider around the Nurburgring and became a close friend of Guy Martin .