Low rider handling.

Clourunner

Hi Folks. I recently passed my CBT on a Yamaha YBR and have gone onto a a low rider motorcycle as this is my preferred style. I noted that the steering is vastly different. Are low riders more difficult to handle in general? Or is it just me needing to get used to the seated position.

Mark

the handling differs on every style of bike mate.

It all come down to your size and build, weather conditions, seating position etc...

I ride a variety of bikes and although i LOVE choppers and low riders the will never handle like a light weight YBR or a proper sports bike.

When riding low riders I tend to just sit back and enjoy the ride.

The main problem with the Arizona and to an extent the Michigan is they tried to make the bikes lightweight and with a short wheelbase as a cruiser, they don't mix together to well, short wheelbase bikes are nimble and can turn on a sixpence, but once you start altering the geometry of the front forks most of that control is lost, and corners need to be more relaxed and not taken too sharply, countersteering will help but you will need to practice to find the bikes and your limitations :thumb:

There are some physical factors that can make cruisers a bit harder/slower to handle. Generally the wheels, especially the front are bigger which creates a greater gyroscopic force and the rake of the forks which positions the front wheel further out in front of the handlebars and the clearance from the pegs or exhaust to the ground which can limit your lean angle. Some bikes can mask this better than others, my old Yamaha XVS Custom (Stryker in the US) had some clever geometry which made it look nicely raked out but handles better than it had any right to. Then there are bikes like the Ducati Diavel, Triumph Bobber and my new pride and joy the Harley Softail Streetbob which have insanely good handling, for what they are of course, not compared to sports bikes.

There are some things you can do.

Look at your tyre profile. Often these bikes are supplied with a "square" profile. Makes them super steady on the straights but horrible to turn. Consider changing to a more rounded profile.

Look up some videos on counter steering. Helpful on all bikes but especially cruisers.

Finally, accept your machine for what it is. You love the lowrider style so embrace the lowrider lifestyle. The handling, like the flies in your teeth if you have an open face helmet is just the sacrifice you make for that feeling it gives you.

Enjoy mate 👊

Finally, accept your machine for what it is. You love the lowrider style so embrace the lowrider lifestyle. The handling, like the flies in your teeth if you have an open face helmet is just the sacrifice you make for that feeling it gives you.

Enjoy mate 👊

love it

I recently went from this to this . Don't worry you'll soon get used to riding with your arse instead of your shoulders . ( Que the usual bollox 🙄 )

Polish_20200223_131430703.thumb.jpg.c4ee9ab55d47389bd914b299897d05c2.jpg

I recently went from this to this . Don't worry you'll soon get used to riding with your arse instead of your shoulders . ( Que the usual bollox 🙄 )

YES! Sums it up perfectly 👍

Thank you . Spot the similarities .

Polish_20200223_132844447.thumb.jpg.b45aabc340ae0330b075395f3114feb1.jpg

Edited by fastbob

Then there are bikes like the Ducati Diavel, Triumph Bobber and my new pride and joy the Harley Softail Streetbob which have insanely good handling, for what they are of course, not compared to sports bikes.

Very true. The suggestion about tyres is good advice. I've ridden both the Bobber and the Bobber Black. The difference between them is significant mainly due to the size of the tyres. Same steering geometry different sized wheels and tyres.

Personally I am finding I enjoy riding with my arse far more than I thought I would, particularly on fast twisty roads.

When the weather improves and the roads get a bit of grip back just ride the bike and explore how it handles.

The first two hundred yards on my Harley were almost comical with me wobbling the bars from side to side and weaving all over the place. The steering was so light compared to clip-ons and a steering damper . After a few miles I was absolutely loving it though. At long last I was back to riding a bike instead of guiding a missile .