TomTom needs dual channel bluetooth headset

So finally took the plunge and bought an overpriced gps, a TomTom rider 550. And it never really dawned on me that to use gps and phone features, at the same time, I'd need a dual channel bluetooth headset. I thought the tomtom did something smart with the phone but it doesn't.

Having just a conventional single channel bluetooth headset, I can set up the pairing to either have gps directions but not take calls, or take calls but not Get directions. Be warned.

Does anyone have a dual channel bluetooth headset they would recommend?

I have a Scala Rider Q1. That pairs to both phone and Garmin SatNav.

The Garmin can also handle phone calls but I haven’t set that up.

Pair the phone to the GPS and then headset to the tomtom

Calls are then routed through the tomtom!

Just remember most set ups don't allow calls and GPS directions at the same time! One will always have priority

What Stu said. However if you want to listen to music then you will need a dual bluetooth headset. I have the Sens 20S Evo and I am very happy with it's performance. Although I very rarely listen to music whilst riding.

You will have probably already found out that you need the Tomtom MyDrive App for the phone to use the phones data.

What Stu said. However if you want to listen to music then you will need a dual bluetooth headset. I have the Sens 20S Evo and I am very happy with it's performance. Although I very rarely listen to music whilst riding.

You will have probably already found out that you need the Tomtom MyDrive App for the phone to use the phones data.

Does TomTom not allow music through the unit? either from the phone or its internal memory?

I don't think you are right [mention]Stu[/mention]

http://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/25647

" your headset only has one Bluetooth® channel you can pair it with either your RIDER or a Smartphone."

"Pair your Rider. With this configuration it’s not possible to answer incoming calls using your headset.:"

Or

"Pair your Smartphone. With this configuration it’s not possible to hear turn-by-turn instructions through your headset."

I don't think you are right @Stu

http://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/25647

" your headset only has one Bluetooth® channel you can pair it with either your RIDER or a Smartphone."

"Pair your Rider. With this configuration it’s not possible to answer incoming calls using your headset.:"

Or

"Pair your Smartphone. With this configuration it’s not possible to hear turn-by-turn instructions through your headset."

Well that's shit!

So 2-0 to garmin there!

With the garmin zumo you can pair the zumo to the headset then the phone to the zumo and receive and make calls

Plus music!

It is only problematic if you want to listen to music, you can get GPS instructions and phone calls on a single channel bluetooth unit.

No you can't', [mention]raesewell[/mention], not on the tomtom rider 550. You can get gps instructions in your ear as the GPS is paired to the headset. The phone is paired to the GPS and it doesn't pass calls through to the headset. It tells you on the GPS screen that someone is calling but you cannot take the call on the headset.

I've linked to tomtom telling you(and me) just this and I can confirm it through testing

Have you tried putting your phone on auto answer while on bluetoooth? Some older headsets might not be completely compatible with the 550.

BTW I have a 550 too.

I have a Nolan B1.4 headset, this is quite old, single channel but fits my Nolan helmet. I can only suspect that you have a dual channel bluetooth headset as both TomTom and me agree that single channel headsets can be paired up in one of two configurations, neither of which allows full functionality

Good spot, I just bought the two headsets you linked to in your previous post that has disappeared. Thank you for the help, I will let you know how I get on.

Edited by Beans

Yeah, but the fault was the intercom, which I won't be using as I ride on my own. I'm hoping that it pairs with my phone and GPS and I can sell on the other, fully working headset