Damp leather help......please :-(

Hey all, not been on for a while so hope everyone is good. I’ve managed two days on the bike so far this year, and maybe I shouldn’t have been on it for the first one because I almost came off as I pulled out of the street hahaaaa!!

Anyway, when I moved house at the end of last year I had to ride the r6 over on a cold, wet night. Not ideal for me, but it was either that or leave her there lol. Like an absolute idiot, I took my leathers off in the lock up when I put her on the stands and left them there....wet....and cold!!! Yes, they’re now damp! For the last few weeks I’ve aired them out in the house, and some of the damp has gone BUT after several attempts at wiping them over and letting them dry again, that smell is still there!! Oh the smell :| !! They weren’t overly damp, with mould mainly on the zips at the bottom of the sleeves and a little on the inner lining of the sleeves! But the smell is awful!! Is there anything else I can do/use to finish the job or should I admit defeat and bin them?

I’ve had my eye on a two piece Dainese suit since I passed my test last year, and also a two piece Alpinestars suit too. They were what I really wanted but couldn’t justify the cost considering everything else I’d laid out. If these are ruined, then I guess I can now justify it :P

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Andy

Amazing, thanks! I’ve been using leather cleaner, over and over so at least I was on the right track. I’ll pick up some moisturising cream today and plenty of febreeze. Fingers crossed I can save them, they fit perfectly now and don’t have a mark on them!! Cheers [mention]dynax[/mention]

[mention]skyrider[/mention] funnily enough, that’s exactly what I ordered off amazon when dynax recommended some moisturiser. To be fair, it is AMAZING stuff. Over 5k 5star reviews was enough to convince me to buy it, although I did get the scented stuff too.

I thought I’d solved the problem, Conditioned the leather and then the next morning I could smell it again!! I think it’s only in the lining now, not the actual leather. I’ve wiped it down and then used febreeze AT LEAST 15 times. I’m guessing I’ll admit defeat soon.

I had the same problem with a pair of gloves

I ended up putting them on and washing them in a bowl of water and detergent of some sort! I can't remember which it was but it got rid the smell

The trouble then was the leather was pretty stiff and shrunk and no about of leather feed helped! although they was a spare pair so I didn't use them often to see if they would stretch out again!

They ended up in the bin

@skyrider funnily enough, that’s exactly what I ordered off amazon when dynax recommended some moisturiser. To be fair, it is AMAZING stuff. Over 5k 5star reviews was enough to convince me to buy it, although I did get the scented stuff too.

I thought I’d solved the problem, Conditioned the leather and then the next morning I could smell it again!! I think it’s only in the lining now, not the actual leather. I’ve wiped it down and then used febreeze AT LEAST 15 times. I’m guessing I’ll admit defeat soon.

wrap it around the tank in the cylinder cupboard for a few days and see what happens

Not sure what happened on here last night but I typed a reply and the site just would not load :scratch:

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I’ll pick up some anti-bacterial spray today, give it a good spray and wipe down, then dry it out. I’ll follow up with some steam cleaning. Not sure why I didn’t think about the steam myself.

I’ll post an update when I’ve tried these, for anyone that suffers from the same problem in the future. Moral of the story is.....don’t be an idiot by leaving leathers in an unheated, no ventilated room when you’ve been riding in the wet :lol:

I’ve definitely learnt my lesson!!!!!

So, a quick update....

I’ve used anti-bacterial spray, rubbed it in and then mopped up with a damp cloth and allowed to dry near (but not on) a radiator. I then repeatedly steam cleaned the jacket over and over, allowing to dry in between. Sadly, there is still a musty smell :crybaby:

I’ve got one more option that has been suggested to me by a friend, and that is to stick it in the washing machine! I know what you’re thinking, I thought the same thing. But, apparently he’s done this and it worked. There’s a very specific set of instructions, it has to be wrapped in a laundry bag for example, on low heat and no spin (I think), but if that doesn’t work then I’m no better or worse off. Anyone had experience doing this? Any suggestions before I go ahead? It feels a little, well, mad sticking leather in the washing machine but, I’m going to bin it anyway if the smell doesn’t go so I don’t have much to lose really!

Nothing wrong with putting leather in the washing machine, obviously this is not something to do on a regular basis but as a one off, OK.

As you have already done, make sure you dry it slowly and you might want to wear it around the house before it dries completely. Condition the leather when fully dry.

[mention]raesewell[/mention] , thanks for the help. I’ll give it a go. I do a similar thing when I get new football or work boots, so that makes sense.

As soon as I’ve done it, success or failure, I’ll post an update for anyone else that has the same problem......I’m sure there has been and will be a few :lol:

Putting them in the oven on the max heat for 48 hours will sort out the smell - Not sure about the wearability though! :scratch:

:lol: :lol:

I’m at that point now where suggestions like that may be tested, just because lol. I tried my friend’s method......and It did f*** all with the exception of soaking the jacket and turning it into a 50kg weight. I’ve just stuck it back in the machine without a cover, on a normal spin but a 30 minute wash. If the horrid, damp smell is still there then I’ll put it on a baking tray and in the over :lol: I obviously won’t be expecting a wearable jacket at the end so while it’s cooking I will shop around for a new one lol.

For reference, I was told to do the following:

Wipe down the jacket with leather cleaner.

Turn it inside out.

Place it in a laundry bag/pillow case/or similar and tie it closed

Put it in the washing machine on a delicate cycle, 30c, no spin, very little powder/detergent.

Air it out to dry away from direct heat or sun etc.

Cooking it may be my only option from here

So a little update for anyone interested or having a similar issue...the smell is gone, FINALLY!!! :cheers:

I can’t say whether all of the first attempts added to the result or if they were a waste of time BUT washing it inside out, without putting it in a cover on a delicate cycle did the trick!! 30c on a low spin for about 50 minutes and not a lot of powder/conditioner and it still had a little smell when I took it out. Now it has dried properly, it smells so fresh. I used the leather treatment again when it was fully dried and it’s like a brand new jacket.

Thanks all for your help and suggestions, the cooker was the next step lol :lol:

Glad it's fixed [mention]APR[/mention] :thumb:

I was going to suggest a dry cleaners as they use pretty strong chemicals which I would have thought would kill off any bacteria & replace the nasty niffs with a reassuring chemical niff.

Glad it's fixed @APR :thumb:

I was going to suggest a dry cleaners as they use pretty strong chemicals which I would have thought would kill off any bacteria & replace the nasty niffs with a reassuring chemical niff.

Cheers [mention]Tankbag[/mention]

I did ask the dry cleaners that sort my suits and shirts out but they said they wouldn’t touch it because the label didn’t say “can be dry cleaned”. They did say it would’ve only cost £6 if they could though lol. At least it’s sorted now aye!!! Finally got some riding in today as Cardiff was beautiful and sunny for a change :wink:

@Ian Frog that made me chuckle hahaaaa

The house prices drop whenever I move somewhere. That probably makes me the opposite of posh :wink:

I have a funny feeling you are probably being truthful!

I seem to have a similar effect and I live in a village that came in the top 5 in the Daily Telegraph1s best villages to live in.

Now I now why I have to go out of the village to chat with friends lol.

Cheers

Ian