Motorcycle detailing

For those of us who like a project, but are not mechanically minded or have the tools. Detailing is giving the bike a very thorough clean and I find it therapeutic and the results rather satisfying. This video is by the Car Cleaning Guru, whose videos get hundreds of thousands of views by those obsessed with this fine art.

I would change one thing he does and I would clean the chain last, not first. There is no point cleaning and lubing a chain, to then remove much of the lube with the products used to clean the rest of the bike.

Snow foam is fun to use and this product attaches to any old hose and lasts for ages;

344553?w=740&h=555&qlt=75&fmt=webp&v=1

When I retired from my old job, I did look at the feasibility of bike detailing, but the work would be too unpredictable, with weeks of nothing and then very high demand. Between three cars and the bike, I am happy just with our own vehicles.

• 1 month later...

Got out for a ride today and with the fine weather, time to deep clean the bike. I have heard about the cleaning properties of WD40, so decided to give it a bash. Spray on, agitate with a toothbrush and wipe off, concentrating on the wheels and metal parts such as the pannier holders.

The WD40 took off grease and crud that both Muck Off and Carplan snow foam had failed to shift. Mightily impressed.

Some brake cleaner to remove a bit of overspray on the brake discs and then a general clean and the bike is looking at its best for a long time.

There is another reason to clean your bike regularly and that is to get right up close so as to detect any potential mechanical problems before they happen . Loose bolts ,cut tyres , oil leaks , frayed cables , broken brackets , slack chain etc etc . Always good to get hands on .