I’m into bikes but not sure about racing... where should I start?

Troy

I’m into motorcycles (obviously), but not sure if I’ll like watching the racing.

Will I like it?

Where can I start following or watching this stuff live and on TV?

Is there a good place to start?

What should I know? Any rules?

Before you answer, here are some things about me...

- I’d like to try a track-day one day.

- Got two friends who watch bike racing heavily.

- They are planning to go to Silverstone this year to see the GP live for weekend but I don’t want to shell out that kind of money if I ain’t gonna like it. I’m more worried about being bored.

- I do like to go fast, I have that “Need for Speed” as some say but not a death wish. But I certainly get the adrenaline rush. Will I feel the same way though watching others do laps?

- I have watched the Isle of Man TT and would still watch it if I only remembered too :scratch:

This may sound like an odd thing to discuss but think of it as introducing someone to Football. All they know is you win by not coming second place. They don’t know what disqualifies you, who are the best players currently, who is the best to cheer for etc.

8-)

Have a look on youtube for previous races and go fullscreen and high volume, it will be a different experience live though, you will have the noise from the crowds and bikes and the smells will all have an effect that you won't get watching on a screen :thumb:

i used to watch a lot of bike racing on tv and then in 1987 i went over to the iom for the TT for the first time and took in the racing the atmosphere and the nightlife and ever since i have hardly watched racing on the box it is definately not the same

If you have the opportunity to go to the GP then do it for the experience. Like most things in life you really need to experience it for yourself to decide if you like it. I can't see how people get excited about football but there are more than a few people who like it quite a bit.

I ride spirited on the road and really wanna do a track day, but have no interest really in watching any sports on TV at all. Which is fine. My mate wants me to go to the tt with him and camp and drink beer and talk bikes but not ride, I don't really see the point (except that I do like camping, bber and talking bikes). If rather ride round the tt.

Do what you like!

You can buy a motogp subscription from their website for like £180 a year if you don't have btsports - that's the creme de la creme of bike racing and quite fun, if you like it.

Guest Richzx6r

Tbh trying to liken it to poxy football is frankly wrong as football is worst than cricket!!

As has been said the only way you will ever know if you like something is to get out there and try it for yourself, life is too short not to try all you can so dont wonder if you will enjoy something just get out there and try whatever you want to

Gp ... Go for practice day. Cheaper and a bit more entertaining .

Track day ... What area you in ?

I would recommend Castle Combe as a beginner .

10min sessions and max 12 bikes on track . Great instructors and facilities.

One observation I would make about Bike Racing is that there is a huge difference between what you can see on television and what you will see at a real event . Wherever you sit or stand at a circuit or road race you are generally only doing to see the riders when they come past , whereas on TV you will see every inch of the race including aerial and on-board footage . This might sound rather obvious but it's something to bear in mind . There are some exceptions however , one being Mallory Park where from a certain vantage point you can see a very large amount of the track due to the lie of the land if I remember correctly . Having said all this I haven't been to a race for ages so there may well be view screens at tracks these days .

As Fastbob said, live at a circuit is very different from tv/screen - and every circuit is different.

Silverstone is probably the worst place to start out - spectators are a long way from the track, so much of the energy/atmosphere is lost. It's also mostly grandstand seating which costs extra, and is almost always cold n windy.

GP is also not the best way to start out - over the ticket price, plus grandstand seating, food is extortionate and awful, merch is overpriced, queues to get in are bad, getting out is worse ( a few years back the support races were rained off after a wet go, I waited til 800pm and still queued for an hour to get out of the circuit)

I would recommend going to a local-ish club meeting or a BSB event - there are loads from April onwards. You can get closer to the action, there are fewer people, it's far far cheaper, and you can wander through the paddock to meet the teams or watch them prepare/repair the bikes if you want - there's a more friendly, inclusive atmosphere at lower level racing.

I can't comment on trackdays - it's never appealed to me, but I would do a day at the ron haslam race school if I had the spare cash.....maybe worth a look?

I'll be riding around Mallory Park in April . Not racing , just taking part in the Sportster Sickness annual Big One event . Should be interesting .

I'll be riding around Mallory Park in April . Not racing , just taking part in the Sportster Sickness annual Big One event . Should be interesting .

Never heard of that, but I imagine it'll be a fun day 👍

I did a circuit of Mallory in a truck last year.....not exciting, lol

Never heard of that, but I imagine it'll be a fun day 👍

I did a circuit of Mallory in a truck last year.....not exciting, lol

Don't know what to expect but a 1000 + Sportsters should make a good racket .

what a strange post... just go watch it, if you dont like it dont go watch it again.

That's exactly what I thought but I didn't quite know what to say .

what a strange post... just go watch it, if you dont like it dont go watch it again.

That's exactly what I thought but I didn't quite know what to say .

Same here fastbob. Sometimes you just need to tell it how it is. Thankfully [mention]Six30[/mention] is never gonna fall into the trap of worrying about upsetting someone with an honest answer 🤣

Good job I’m not easily offended :)

But that’s also why I’m on this forum... for the honesty!

Thanks for all the replies, despite how strange this thread comes across.