What did you do to your bike today? (part 4)

oldgrump

Took Rexy out for a trundle as it was dry !

Found loads of puddles so up on the bench when we got back to clean all her important little places.

Also gave me the opportunity to put the road Busa on the mover stand and see how far I could tuck her out of the way !

She is a fat girl so I was interested in how much space the new stand would let me achieve.20200301_161759_resized.thumb.jpg.e1aedf27772a217d9eda84b8fdb64494.jpg20200301_154749_resized.thumb.jpg.b6b58cdd04ca3c911e9c50d57b31214d.jpg20200301_161917_resized.thumb.jpg.35a4409efa2f1c3c748fc10f49d755eb.jpg

Found loads of puddles so up on the bench when we got back to clean all her important little places.

Also gave me the opportunity to put the road Busa on the mover stand and see how far I could tuck her out of the way !

She is a fat girl so I was interested in how much space the new stand would let me achieve.20200301_161759_resized.jpg20200301_154749_resized.jpg20200301_161917_resized.jpg

I keep looking at a lift table, I'm getting too old to be crawling about on the floor. But they aren't cheap!

She is a fat girl so I was interested in how much space the new stand would let me achieve.20200301_161759_resized.jpg20200301_154749_resized.jpg20200301_161917_resized.jpg

I keep looking at a lift table, I'm getting too old to be crawling about on the floor. But they aren't cheap!

Agreed your knees cant carry on for ever !

I got mine from BSD in Peterborough when they upgraded.

I am fairly sure the lad that was there when I turned up to collect didn't know which one I had bought but not my problem lol.

Probably best £120 I have spent on Ebay lol.

Cheers

Ian

P.S Just won Constands version of a skylift for less than £50 so quitting Ebay for a while as my luck will run out sooner or later.

One of the many jobs to do on my Z500 is to replate all the bolts.

Full overhaul going on here:-

https://themotorbikeforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=87&t=68312

Have done a few bits with my Epson Salts and Vinegar plating tank, see here:-

https://themotorbikeforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=87&t=68482&hilit=zinc+plating

Reached the limit of what this system is capable of and never got consistant or shiny enough results. I moved on to commercially available chemicals from Gateros Plating now just outside Lincoln (other plating kits are available). I got the mix for my 5 ltr bucket ( Zinc Chloride, Ammonium Chloride, Maintenance fluid, anti foam agent and brightener ) while was there I got their Zinc Anodes as opposed to the thin ones on Ebay. They work out roughly the same price and as they smelt them in house they are 99% pure. The rest of stuff I already had i.e. PSU, heater, small circulator pump, degreaser bath and passivate solutions etc.

First bolts to do were the Crankcase bolts. They are Hi tensile bolts so not using any acid pickling (more of a chance of hydrogen embrittlement). The bolts were in a reasonable condition but dull.

First a wash in thinners then a buff with the wire wheel followed by a bath in my degreaser of choice, Surfex HD @10% strength @ 60C in my shed slow cooker. After a good rinse from the rain water barrel in to the tank @28-30C for 50 mins, turned at halfway point.

Did 3 bolts at a time at a current rate of 100 Ma per Square inch of bolt. From my spreadsheet I need to flow approx 500 Ma for all 3. Rinsed and into the blue passivate @20C for 15-20 sec, rinsed again and dried with hot air gun. Took some pics of the setup and the finished bolts.

My cheap PSU is spot on current wise as read by my Fluke 77 meter but the voltage is a bit lower on the power supply than by the multimeter but that's not an issue the current is the important thing to do these 3 bolt it only took 0.26 volts to flow the 500 Ma needed. Once up to temp the small aquarium heater was turned of as the plating keeps it warm enough all afternoon. I have done 30 bolts so far over the weekend and have not had to put any more brightener in from the 2 capfuls to start with, this needs adding from time to time when the plating starts getting a bit dull. The anodes have hardly lost a thing so far, I remove the anodes rinse and store in a dry container between plating.

The devil is in the detail as they say. For good results no matter what solutions you use the cleaner the part the better the plating. The cleaning is the most labour intensive bit. Good rinsing to stop cross contamination of the solutions is imperative as is the wearing of rubber gloves and a well ventilated area. My painting mask and glasses are on and leave the shed door wide open and have the bench with the plating bath almost fully outside.

some pics below

The setup

setup.thumb.JPG.e8babd5a7ebadb078299436f31a2531f.JPG

Final result from Saturdays and Sundays plating.

1706044127_Allboltsdone.thumb.JPG.57161c63b8db2606c5deccd5cbb4ac83.JPG

Sorry for the long post

Rob B

Today I got the CRF muddy in the back garden and realised that:

A. I probably need to get stiffer springs.

B. I definitely need to go on a diet. 😣

that's some back garden you got there.

Welsh life 👍

Welsh life 👍

No......this is Welsh Life!

Fitted a new (Chinese :D ) carb on the Yamaha.

No leaks (water or petrol :shock: ) so far! :thumb:

I hope you left that thing in the shed for a couple of weeks before you opened it! 😷

Neighbour had it in his house for a week while we where on holiday! :lol:

Fitted a new (Chinese :D ) carb on the Yamaha.

No choice.,..had to buy a Chinese one as the Yamaha carb is a rediculous price. :shock: