Austrian Alps september 2020

Gerontious

Just passed the 200 day mark.. Which doesn't mean much to be honest, but we're coming to the end of winter now and so time to get things nailed down. Stop talking and start doing.

First step for me.. I've booked a room for the Friday night, 12 miles from the tunnel. So that will mean an easy ride down to the coast on the Friday... Stay overnight. And then next morning a lie-in, late breakfast and set off to the tunnel at about 11:15

There's never any need to rush to book the tunnel.. So that can wait until later, we'll be getting the 12:20 crossing. Which means a 2pm (local) arrival time and then a nice and easy afternoons ride to our first stop. No stress, no hurry. To give everyone an easy time as they get back into the swing of camping.

• 2 weeks later...

And.. with a paltry 6 months and 2 days to go, Ive booked the outward tunnel crossing.

Tunnel.jpg.606b5843f60d99dec54ee12fd49745ae.jpg

The return can wait until nearer the time as there is no worry about that. Booked it now so its "written in stone" and the guys can book as and when it suits them.

The crossing is quite late for us.. Have to be at the tunnel by 11:21 to check-in. This is because our first day is going to be very relaxed. We have to get across France.. almost 430 miles and though we have done this in the past.. its a huge slog, very tiring. And so, the idea this time is to split the journey almost in 2. We have just 180 miles to ride on the Saturday afternoon. From the Tunnel to Epernay in Champagne. A place we have stayed at before, so its familiar. A very nice :municipal campsite just on the edge of town next to the river. We should arrive late afternoon and then have plenty of time to get set up and then a walk into the town to a bar and then a kebab.

Next morning, once ready to depart.. we will stop off at the Macdonalds, for coffee and a light breakfast and then its another 250 miles to our first proper campsite. in the southern Black Forest. And take it from there. Depending on progress made.. we can either go over the Vosges Mountains, or under them. before crossing the Rhine into Germany. See how the weather is on the day. do we stay in the B.F. for a day or two.. or head directly via Switzerland and Liechtenstein to our first base in western Austria. (for the Stelvio/Umbrail and Timmesljoch passes) or avoiding the awful B31 that follows the north shore of Lake Constance, pick up the "German Alpine road" and over two days head for Zell am See and the Grossglockner.

have to see.

I can almost smell them.

231985209_UmbrailPass.thumb.jpg.6f1c586dff1b484e2b5d845982cac1e8.jpg

Someone from the highways dept had 1 too many sherberts when they drew out that route :lol:

Highest paved road in Switzerland. 8,200 feet at the top.

its actually 8,205 :roll:

Someone from the highways dept had 1 too many sherberts when they drew out that route :lol:

My bad for relying on memory and not rushing to google.

5ft is 5ft.... we got another contender for next years twat of the year extreme

5ft is 5ft.... we got another contender for next years twat of the year extreme

Too right. It's ok for [mention]Gerontious[/mention], but me without 5ft - I'd hardly exist. :shock:

Sounds great. Thanks for keeping me in the loop Tony, bike purchase is going to happen soon. As soon as that's done, I'll book the tunnel 👍

My breath is suitably bated. pro-tip.. try for a bike with a tight turning circle as we are bound to encounter hairpins poised to make your hair curl.

like this only worserer... :mrgreen:

1377297647_ooerrmrs.thumb.jpg.ff3491f8f6e12bf818796eba6a453dbd.jpg

Now that just looks incredible! :shock:

So incredible that its not even in the Alps. its in the Carpathians. (maybe next time)

I wouldn't mind.. as they start in Slovakia and then its just a matter of following them until time runs out or you reach the Black Sea.

still.. there are a lot of fairly savage hairpins that we will have to deal with.. so the point still stands.

I was going to post this as an example.. in the Dolomites.

lordamercy.jpg.0c321dcec749b2cdada4b24f7352c05c.jpg

But.. Ive learnt its been shut to vehicles aside from bicycles.

My breath is suitably bated. pro-tip.. try for a bike with a tight turning circle as we are bound to encounter hairpins poised to make your hair curl.

Yep, I'm not buying another K1200S. Will be sorted at the end of the month 👍

But.. Ive learnt its been shut to vehicles aside from bicycles.

That hasn't stopped us before...

Indeed. What's an adventure without a bit of hair raising terror to lighten the mood.

But, no off roading this year, There is one road im considering that might involve a hefty dose of terror. Passo Gavia. its not all that far from the Stelvio (almost a continuation of..) and is apparently a bit nerve wracking. just a tad. I was watching a video about it with the title. "One hell of a scary road" Its quite narrow and for a fair distance has no barrier between you and certain death.

On the south side of this road there are some steep hairpin bends which are so tight that it is impossible for a typical chopper motorbike (like a Harley Davidson) to take this bend at one, so they have to reverse at minimum one time. Unfortunately, especially at this point, there are no guardrails and the area aside the road is nearly vertical. So if you start to slip – jump off- or the last thing you will have in your life is a spectacular freefalling overview on the beautiful mountains surrounding you.

sounds great.

But.. thats an old post so might be out of date, with barriers installed on the worse bits, maybe.. here is a video of the so called 'scary part'.

I love the "pro-tip"

• 3 weeks later...

22 weeks today... And I'm trying to remain optimistic.

I'm not expecting "Business as usual" even by then... But, as long as the following conditions are met, we'll be going.

1. Tunnel is open

2. Borders are open and free travel allowed within eu. Or at least France,Germany,Austria.

3. UK gov says OK so travel insurance is valid.

4. Campsites are open.

Still hoping to ride the Grossglockner.. Right now it's obviously still shut down for winter, even without the virus. But, I'll be keeping an eye on the live webcams, waiting for the glad day there is some sign of activity.

https://edelweissspitze.panomax.com

I'm keeping everything crossed for the trip because we'll all need a break after all of this. I know I will.

I'm sat here with money in the bank ready to buy my next bike which I was meant to be doing around this time. I'm assuming it'll be a buyers market after Covid. Unfortunate for some but fortunate for me I guess.

Hope you're all well, stay safe.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm praying we can overcome this unprecedented tragedy and challenge from c****19. I too was/am going to the Alps in September. However, it may be awhile before we find out how all this has destabilised the communities we are/were about to travel too.

20 weeks. 140 days. Still quietly optimistic.

As time moves on, mine is fading. I'm aiming for buying another bike and just getting out for a ride anywhere. Anything on top of that will be a bonus.

On Pause.. this was just posted by the Grossglockner team. (translated)

Today we would usually start our annual snow clearance. A really strange feeling because every year the whole team looks forward to this special event and the start into the new season with strong palpitations. We very much hope it's time again soon. As a reminder some nice photos. See you soon

93001916_1917844698346451_6361937246551015424_o.jpg.2d83d5c9bb3f634dbd0cf674db3b672b.jpg93425226_1917843665013221_461568019198377984_o.jpg.c6c6f1ec3d3129083e76dbdab9748160.jpg93122711_1917842578346663_1245694606381678592_o.jpg.4bfa73fd37633965470542f5d6f518ab.jpg93023757_1917841288346792_335969126625312768_o.jpg.2be7fb2c106004ad0a35c222dd0e05a4.jpg

89031196_10219587794397892_2734046833398513664_o.jpg.241ddbf54b249e65b358c28a6c3e259d.jpg

so.. just waiting for any announcement and watching the web cam. https://fuschertoerl.panomax.com

there is at least one positive sign, Austria is making baby steps towards a relaxation of the lockdown. allowing more (non-essential) shops to open.

I'm a long way.. 18 weeks (near enough) A long way from admitting defeat.

I'm quietly hopeful that we will be able to make this trip.

It's been a stressful 18 months for me, and I am excited to spend time with friends who I don't see often enough!

I need to get the bimmer out of the garage and run it up / clean it. Not been used since November...

Beer time soon in the camp sites with my buddies :cheers:

Last night I made schnitzel for tea with loads of chips and a lettuce heavy salad. And loads of magi, which I found in the cupboard - it was given to me the first time I did the trip. It expired in 2015. Few things missing though, the delicious greasy gravy, the Bitburg and the bloody annoying bast*rds ripping me for having the seat off and needing a new clutch and stuff.

Ive not yet set a countdown on my phone, which is just not right so I'll sort that out. I normally use it to judge the time for picking the correct size main bearings ready for the off. Hmm plenty of time yet.

With maybe a new sense of optimism I've booked the annual leave off at work.

I have to use it up anyway, with long service in the NHS I get more than enough.

My main frustration is not being able to look at bikes to buy at the moment. I've seen a few I like but with restrictions on non essential travel I can't justify travelling halfway across the country to buy a bike and ride it back.