Alternative - Chain Oilers

onesea

I know contentious subject some have had them and love them some remove them and think they a spawn of devil...

For me I have had a Scott oiler and liked it, not certain I would pay £100 for one. It was not perfect and didn't make maintenance free chain. Although it reduced my oiling and cleaning.

How ever there are others what would you recommend?

Presently I have my eye on a LoobMan at just under £20 and yes they do recommend using engine oil...

http://www.loobman.co.uk

Any one any experience? Loobman or others.

https://bikerrated.com/gear/maintenance/best-motorcycle-chain-oilers/

For an alternative to these oilers that are a constant drip drip drip, either while the engine is running or when the bike is moving. Have a squint at this page.

https://www.cobrra.sk/en/nemo-2-device-lubrication-motorbike-and-quad-chains

You can then search for GIDIBI and enjoy a moral dilemma. £90 for the Slovak made Cobrra. Or £23 for the exact same thing made in China by GIDIBI.

I like the idea of these things as they give a measured dose of gear oil.. Usually over about 3 minutes, as and when the rider decides. Which has certain advantages over the others assuming you don't have memory problems and can remember to actually use it.

Obviously this will be useless for some people as there isn't an app to do the hard work for you. You have to actually do something with your fingers. Turn a lid on the reservoir. Not difficult.. But highly technical. For the smart phone afflicted.

Guest Richzx6r

That Louis moto one came off the chain clean....that kinda put me off as I dont feel it was a good representation of the cleaning ability side of it, I'm thinking of trying to make a DIY oiler it shouldn't be too difficult to make something gravity fed but with a metering valve so the system can be shut off to limit leakage when the bike is stood

Old loobman was brilliant and easy to fit ..

Squeezy bottle

New loobman is crap fiddly and hard to mount ( solid plastic reservoir)

This, sadly, is 100% accurate. I have an old squeezy bottle type on the CBX and love it, yes it's total loss once you've squeezed but you usually know how far you're going at a time and can decide whether or not to squeeze. I've also put a new push-button type on the Z250SL and TRX, I find the new way to mount the delivery head to the swingarm is less secure (it slides about a bit) and I've had the head fall to bits on both bikes while the one on the 250 (which gets a lot more use) has semi-failed in that the spring appears to have broken for the button, so if I don't fully pull the button back up again it will happily dump the whole reservoir over the chain/wheel/tyre/floor. I'm not as impressed as I hoped to be.

If you do get a Loobman (and for the price I'd still go for one!) I heartily recommend you put the optional zip ties around the pointy bits of the head and use two ties to secure the head to the mount. This makes them much more resilient.

You can then search for GIDIBI and enjoy a moral dilemma. £90 for the Slovak made Cobrra. Or £23 for the exact same thing made in China by GIDIBI.

Well no moral dilemma for me, £24 from china, as the only problem I had with my Scott oilier was the nozzle blocking occasionally, a pressurised system seemed the way to go...

Chain with Scotoiler lasted 20k+ without less than 10k I am pro chain oilliers, will be interesting to see how I get on with this one...

Having used one before I am aware they are not a complete solution, I still had to oil and clean the chain occasionally. Just if using bike daily it reduced the requirement considerably.

Well no moral dilemma for me, £24 from china, as the only problem I had with my Scott oilier was the nozzle blocking occasionally, a pressurised system seemed the way to go...

Chain with Scotoiler lasted 20k+ without less than 10k I am pro chain oilliers, will be interesting to see how I get on with this one...

Having used one before I am aware they are not a complete solution, I still had to oil and clean the chain occasionally. Just if using bike daily it reduced the requirement considerably.

I'm also ordering one of these I was contemplating a cobrra already and this will save a few pennies!

You may find hem a little cheaper on Ali express too around 18 quid

• 2 weeks later...

Well its here and fitted, which took 30-40 minutes.

Only annoying thing is I had no suitable mounting point, luckily I had old mirror stem mounting point so problem solved.

Will see how it works and post up in time if there are problems or its exceptionally good.

My chain got mangled last winter because I rode the bike all winter and didn't keep up with maint (weekly oil/lubing just wasn't enough).

So at the end of last winter, along with my new fancy x-ring 525 chain and -1+2 gearing swap, I bought a Scottoiler Xsystem which automatically drips oil on the chain every x seconds (setting dependant) whenever it detects that the bike is moving.

I keep it on a high setting to help wash grime off and I think I've felt the need to clean/lube my chain once in maybe 8k miles.

Up until a few weeks ago, that is, when would have highly recommended it, but suddenly it appears to just not be dripping quite as much lube as it used to.

It doesn't appear to be blocked, it still drips, just not as much as it did previously (even during Nov/Dec). My chain got rusty on the highest setting over Feb, and now the weather is warming up I would expect the oil to be thinning and for me to be turning it down to prevent too much spray. But I'm looking to turn it up and it doesn't go any higher.

Next, chance I get, I'll follow the hose and make sure there are no kinks/blockages anywhere. If I find none I'll contact support for a recall.

Guest Richzx6r

Must admit I looked at the chain on the ninja and its manky with rust, I shall be giving the bike some much needed TLC tomorrow daytime

Up until a few weeks ago, that is, when would have highly recommended it, but suddenly it appears to just not be dripping quite as much lube as it used to.

Blocked nozzle's my guess, oil is only fed down by gravity if it's like my old Scot oiler, it does not take much.

Depending how it's positioned an air lock could also be an option...

In winter with a scott oiler, I still added more spray oil from time to time as it would not keep up...

Blocked nozzle's my guess, oil is only fed down by gravity if it's like my old Scot oiler, it does not take much.

Depending how it's positioned an air lock could also be an option...

In winter with a scott oiler, I still added more spray oil from time to time as it would not keep up...

The X system is a pumped feed, not gravity. It’s a cut down version of the e system. It’s the v system that is gravity.

• 4 weeks later...

Update on my GIDIBI oilier...

After fitting:

First Night it ditched all the oil out of the System :roll:, luckily I had sort of preempted this and had tub underneath so no harm done. I refilled it and tightened the top a little more, plus this time the seal had oil on so probably sealing a bit better. Next night it did not ditch oil.

Longest ride it had was 1/2 an hour ride to work and it dripped a little after, but chain was oiled,

I am in lucky or unlucky situation that while this is going on I will be going to work. Great commuting by bike you might we will get a great review.

Its also only It's 1.5 miles to work.

So how is it fairing, actually I think it will work out OK. I have learned turn 1/4 turn and turn back for short journeys, when you see no evidence of oil in day or so turn back a little less.

This worked well till this week when it stopped dripping became stiff to turn and leaked a little at handle bars. my mistake I managed to put kink in hose :?

Having adjusted the routing and used cable ties I will see how it goes.

How do I feel about it at the moment? Well I am found myself looking for mounting points on the Trophy to get one on that so I would recommend with caution.

Its not a plug in and forget system, you need to learn how it works and set it up. Presently I am using Scot Oiler oil as I have some left will switch to engine oil once I have used it up well actually shortly I will mix some engine oil in with it.

In the meantime I have nicely oiled chain.

If I bought it again I would resist the urge to turn the knobs until it had oil in, I don't think me playing with it before fitting did the seals any favours.

If you want plug and play I would recommend X system Scot oilier with dual nozzles.

If anyone wants pictures of my set up I will gladly post.

• 2 months later...

Not certain any one is reading my updates on this.

The Gidibi works by holding the oil in the to chamber by vacuum as you turn the unit it reduces the pressure and let more oil out on to the chain.

The build being quality Chinese I have found if the chain could do just a drop of oil for my commute to work wobbling the top breaks the vacume enough to allow a few drops into the chain..

Now for my other bike, the trophy 1200.

I thought about another Gibidi but it's single sided oiler and the sprocket is considerably wider.

Plus I could find no where sensible to fit it, so I bought British.

Loobman:

http://www.loobman.co.uk/

This I could fit behind the fairing on the Trophy and still operate when riding.

IMG_20200531_151906_5.thumb.jpg.cc2adb462ab5859c8c9063bb155a122f.jpg

IMG_20200531_151750_5.thumb.jpg.41f5b6542e983253dfe92bc72770d6eb.jpg

Although the instructions are in English they are initially quite confusing. The unit works well and gives good flow of oil to both sides of the sprocket.

The unit works well and gives good flow of oil to both sides of the sprocket.

It does, bu let us know how you're getting on with it after 3000 miles or so - as I say, mine started to fall to bits.

Not certain any one is reading my updates on this.

The Gidibi works by holding the oil in the to chamber by vacuum as you turn the unit it reduces the pressure and let more oil out on to the chain.

The build being quality Chinese I have found if the chain could do just a drop of oil for my commute to work wobbling the top breaks the vacume enough to allow a few drops into the chain..

I'm reading them! :thumb:

I have a Gidibi on the way for weeks now, so any prior lessons will be very useful when/if it arrives.

• 1 month later...

I've fitted my gidibi oiler and I have to say it's fine. The thread quality on the top and anodising is good it screws down seamlessly. It's took me a while to get round to fitting it as there was nowhere obvious or easy to fit without looking out of place on the tracer. As you see in the photos the spacer I used does the job just fine. Easy to set up just threaded the oil tubing where I wanted it and loosely tie wrapped it in place. Ran some oil through to get rid of any air and a 1/4 turn runs for about 10 minutes with a steady dropping of the oil. Once happy all tightened up etc. I think it was worth buying just took a while to work out where to put it.

IMG_20200724_180018.thumb.jpg.0dd19362d0e85fffd598ac077d6204fc.jpg

IMG_20200724_180026.thumb.jpg.d213ee9af6543093d77d3c3baa7fb1ff.jpg

IMG_20200724_180039.thumb.jpg.3fa0a480b2c58f3ee12305d2b7ec3d0f.jpg

I have something similar on the MT07, a Cobrra Nemo 2. Quarter of a turn, gives about 3 mins of gravity fed oil on the chain :thumb:

Did your oiler fit on easy enough, it was just where to fit the main body that was the awkward bit for me