Regulator/rectifier and battery done, can I check...

James in Brum

Hello gang, changed the rectifier and the battery, new battery reading 12v before turning on, 11.99 straight after turning on the bike and now five minutes later still twelve volts.

Is that okay? I haven’t been able to get a charger yet for the battery. Bike is running but I don’t know if I have fixed the problem or not.

Thanks for advice pictures to follow.

That was whilst running. Have checked again now and 11.95

Morning , running at what revs ? According to my ER5 manual the charging output at idle speed should not exceed the battery voltage i.e. 12v . The charging output should only increase when the revs increase to normal operating speeds i.e 4000 + rpm . Now I realize it's not the same bike but I would bet that the principal is the same . So , at what RPM were you measuring the voltage ? I wouldn't be too worried about that half a volt , bear in mind that you have just started the bike

Morning , running at what revs ? According to my ER5 manual the charging output at idle speed should not exceed the battery voltage i.e. 12v . The charging output should only increase when the revs increase to normal operating speeds i.e 4000 + rpm . Now I realize it's not the same bike but I would bet that the principal is the same . So , at what RPM were you measuring the voltage ? I wouldn't be too worried about that half a volt , bear in mind that you have just started the bike

Idling so sub four thousand. Should I try measuring whilst revving? Or take for a ride and see if she still works on the ride? Or something else Rob?

Idling so sub four thousand. Should I try measuring whilst revving? Or take for a ride and see if she still works on the ride? Or something else Rob?

Yes you should try revving and no don't take it for a ride just yet!

If its not charging and you go for a ride its a long push home with a flat battery

I have never experienced any bike charging at less than battery voltage at idle

Yes you should try revving and no don't take it for a ride just yet!

If its not charging and you go for a ride its a long push home with a flat battery

I have never experienced any bike charging at less than battery voltage at idle

Yeah , definitely measure the voltage while steadily increasing the revs .

Turned the engine on. Prior to doing so battery reading 12.5volts

Whilst Erving at 6000 revs reads at 11.95 volts and I watch the voltage drop. Over roughly one minute dropped to 11.9

Also did not start easily, took a half a breath longer than it should have.

You need to check voltage across those yellow wires as they come from the stator

You need to see if your getting voltage to the reg rec

This is alternating current so has to be checked different to how you check the batter and it should also be around 75v

Let me see if I can find some instructions for you it's a bit hard to type

Copy and paste from elsewhere

If you are having problems with charging, you should first check your stator since its job is to provide the extra power needed to charge the battery during operation. If the stator doesn't provide enough power, the battery will begin to drain. For troubleshooting, the stator connector that runs to the engine must be unplugged. With the connector unplugged, you can test the stator for both resistance and voltage.

To begin, you should first check for continuity from the terminal tabs of the connector and then see if anything goes to the ground. Set your multimeter to Ohms to check this. First, use the multimeter leads to check the resistance of the tabs by checking A to B, B to C and then A to C. The multimeter should read under 1 Ohm for all three (make sure to take into account the resistance between the leads). Readings over 1.5 Ohms are an indication that the stator is faulty.

Next, check to make sure nothing is going to ground by connecting the red lead to the connector and the black lead to the negative terminal of the battery. This should be an open circuit and the meter should not read anything. If it does, the stator is faulty.

Now, switch your multimeter to read AC voltage. To check for voltage, the motorcycle must be running and should be at about 2000 rpm. Then, measure the voltage from tab to tab, just like before. The actual number of the voltage is not terribly important. What you are looking for is that all three of the numbers are similar. If the voltage numbers are more than a few apart, the stator is faulty