Your first bike

FallingDown

A little bit inspired by Newbie Sams recent post and [mention]fastbob[/mention] 's solid advice regarding the CG125 I thought I'd start my first topic. I'm sure it's been done before but anyway.....

What was your first road legal bike?

How old were you?

Did you like it/ How did it make you feel?

Mine was:

Honda VT125 Shadow

38 (my second mid life crisis)

Loved it, thought I was Jax Teller 🤫

Here you go, CB175 . I think I was about 18 when I got it . I paid £260 for it . It had already been extensively done up when I bought it including a really good paint job and a black 2 into 1 pipe .

EFFECTS.thumb.jpg.0e0a1136edf878bfcc06e29ab454bf91.jpg

Guest Richzx6r

Mine was a red 2002 cg125 and I thought it was the dogs danglies and it inspired my overconfidence which taught me I'm not Valentino rossi.....it saved my life though so I'll always be indebted to it for that

Honda XR125... hated it, never wanted it, parents made me get it instead of what I actually wanted. Don't get me wrong it was my first ever bike so I was still super excited at 18 years old. Bought it new, sold it after 3 months for quite the loss. But admittedly I had some fun on it and it did teach me some stuff. But those stock tyres were super sketchy in the wet.

After I sold it I got an old beat-up de-restricted RS125 (totally behind my parents back and against their wishes)... Absolutely loved it. Looking back now it's a good job I had the XR125 first, the RS125 would have been far too fast and touchy for me. It was too fast and touchy for me anyway, but at least I had a few months riding experience.

If it weren't for the general unreliability of almost every single moving component, and the usual 2-stroke requirement for changing the piston-rings on such a regular basis, I'd have another RS125 as a second bike in a flash. Same goes for the RS250, barring the sacrilege of riding one of those on the road.

If I ever decide I'd rather do regular track days than save up for my retirement, I'd probably be doing them on an RS250.

Honda XR125... hated it, never wanted it, parents made me get it instead of what I actually wanted. Don't get me wrong it was my first ever bike so I was still super excited at 18 years old. Bought it new, sold it after 3 months for quite the loss. But admittedly I had some fun on it and it did teach me some stuff. But those stock tyres were super sketchy in the wet.

After I sold it I got an old beat-up de-restricted RS125 (totally behind my parents back and against their wishes)... Absolutely loved it. Looking back now it's a good job I had the XR125 first, the RS125 would have been far too fast and touchy for me. It was too fast and touchy for me anyway, but at least I had a few months riding experience.

If it weren't for the general unreliability of almost every single moving component, and the usual 2-stroke requirement for changing the piston-rings on such a regular basis, I'd have another RS125 as a second bike in a flash. Same goes for the RS250, barring the sacrilege of riding one of those on the road.

If I ever decide I'd rather do regular track days than save up for my retirement, I'd probably be doing them on an RS250.

Yes I've definately made some mistakes that made me glad I was on a bike that was a bit more forgiving. I struggle to even wash a bike and check trye pressures so 2 stroke maintenance puts the fear of Christ into me although Ii do love them, especially the sound and smell.

Mine was a red 2002 cg125 and I thought it was the dogs danglies and it inspired my overconfidence which taught me I'm not Valentino rossi.....it saved my life though so I'll always be indebted to it for that

Did my CBT ON A CG125 after my brother gave me a cheeky go "around a carpark" on his Virago which gave me the bike bug (bike zero). That dumb idea has been very expensive for the last 8 years.

I've yet to ride the bike that didn't make me smile at least a bit

1963 Lambretta TV175 in 1971 when I was 17.

It was shit and I looked like a twat!

No change there then :roll:

When [mention]Six30[/mention] gets the Mod gig (which he should have had in 2015) your card will be well and truly marked!!

Tell him Six!

Guest Richzx6r

No change there then :roll:

When @Six30 gets the Mod gig (which he should have had in 2015) your card will be well and truly marked!!

Tell him Six!

Bring it on.....but don't break a hip :popcorn:

Bit of a Mod back in the day then?

No......I wanted a bike......but the Lambretta came up cheap for 22 quid! :lol:

First bike as such was a 1965 D7 Bantam. It was also a POS and looked like this......

2476d6702849161e5931c15d6f897c4c.jpg.190494c1d28001b4851fe7e1992c7e2c.jpg

Then in Jan 72 I got a 3TA Triumph 350 (ex Welsh Water Board). That was also a POS and looked like this.....

10955.jpg.8576ed1281e3089128ecc43cc2b5c129.jpg

But in August 1972 it all changed when I bought a Suzuki T250J Hustler.......

10446361.jpg.2bb08f5cabd6e773cea0d7c567556109.jpg

From thereon it was birds, blowjobs, motoring offences, arrests, street battles with skinheads etc. The normal stuff young people do sort of thing!

First bike as such was a 1965 D7 Bantam. It was also a POS and looked like this......

2476d6702849161e5931c15d6f897c4c.jpg

Then in Jan 72 I got a 3TA Triumph 350 (ex Welsh Water Board). That was also a POS and looked like this.....

10955.jpg

10446361.jpg

From thereon it was birds, blowjobs, motoring offences, arrests, street battles with skinheads etc. The normal stuff young people do sort of thing!

Time is a wonderful thing. They all look cool now and Triumph especially are making them all look like that again.

2476d6702849161e5931c15d6f897c4c.jpg

10955.jpg

10446361.jpg

Time is a wonderful thing. They all look cool now and Triumph especially are making them all look like that again.

That was the Golden Era.......best days of my life!

Bought an MT07 almost immediately after passing my test back in 2017. Did a massive 900 miles on it before I got the opportunity to get a Street Triple 765 RS at a great price

qHHmeE2g.jpg

I wasnt allowed to buy a bike until my 18th birthday.. and on the proviso i paid for it myself, which I did with the earning of a saturday milk round.

It was a 1976 KH250B2 and looked a lot like this (photo from ebay)

A Two Stroke triple.. and i felt like the bees knees riding it when all my mates had Superdreams.

KH250.jpg.4a7ea4af5f0fd5f0645e6ccd05fc07e7.jpg

my one and only japanese bike.. until last year. when i bought the Africa twin.

I passed the test in 1982.. just before it changed. and then sold the KH and bought one of these:

A 1975 T160 Trident.

882025178_T160trident.thumb.jpg.0e3d0f60a4e224cacec48a23fda94076.jpg

followed by a succession of Meriden then Hinckley trumpets until 1997 when i bought a very odd BMW.. a GS.

Now.. these are called "Adventure bikes" - back then they were "Monster Trailies" and really quite rare.. a bike that nobody seemed to understand the purpose of.

how times change eh?

Anyway.. of all the bikes ive owned the one I was most proud of was this.. A 1994 Triumph Speed Triple 900.

triumph-speed-triple-900-1994-moto.thumb.jpeg.8d35614d9f120b8a89cfb438be53cbfb.jpeg

Bought an MT07 almost immediately after passing my test back in 2017. Did a massive 900 miles on it before I got the opportunity to get a Street Triple 765 RS at a great price

qHHmeE2g.jpg

Yikes! You weren't messing about :thumb:

I wasnt allowed to buy a bike until my 18th birthday.. and on the proviso i paid for it myself, which I did with the earning of a saturday milk round.

A Two Stroke triple.. and i felt like the bees knees riding it when all my mates had Superdreams.

KH250.jpg

I passed the test in 1982.. just before it changed. and then sold the KH and bought one of these:

A 1975 T160 Trident.

T160 trident.jpg

followed by a succession of Meriden then Hinckley trumpets until 1997 when i bought a very odd BMW.. a GS.

Now.. these are called "Adventure bikes" - back then they were "Monster Trailies" and really quite rare.. a bike that nobody seemed to understand the purpose of.

how times change eh?

Anyway.. of all the bikes ive owned the one I was most proud of was this.. A 1994 Triumph Speed Triple 900.

triumph-speed-triple-900-1994-moto.jpeg

Wow! I would happily own any of those bikes, especially the speed triple. I've always wanted the dual bug from around 1999 (blame mission impossible 2).

I had an Africa Twin and loved it. The DCT made me feel like Marquez over the mountain roads but did make it tricky off road. Dragging the rear break is no substitute for a clutch and it's really hard to pick up when you drop it (which I do a fair bit hence the name) especially if the top is pointing down hill. As a touring bike it was faultless. Comfortable all day long and as fast as I ever need a bike to be. Only changed it because my little riding group all started moving away from distance machines to little cruisers.

KH250.jpg

A 1975 T160 Trident.

T160 trident.jpg

how times change eh?

triumph-speed-triple-900-1994-moto.jpeg

t160 a slippery sam :thumb:

Seems this was Inspied by new noob post I thought I would share how I came about my first bike. It was a mix of two, one that was one my friend crashed that he donated and another that was found on a scrap yard. Luckily I had some good friends at the time who were keen to help me get on the road. They helped me acquire both bikes and make one good working first bike a 125 Suzuki marauder. It was lacking in a lot of things but I loved it all the same because it cost near to nothing and well, it was built and revived. Sadly an artic decided to pull out on me suddenly which led it to being written off well and truly a year or so later. The middle pic is the end result.

FB_IMG_1583458865191.jpg.8118a32036f23253edd21363ebde36b1.jpg

FB_IMG_1583458879698.jpg.2d6b363a8480993648fe99a18d21d770.jpg

FB_IMG_1583458872345.jpg.204d1933bfbdac5fc935bca875b46c97.jpg

Seems this was Inspied by new noob post I thought I would share how I came about my first bike. It was a mix of two, one that was one my friend crashed that he donated and another that was found on a scrap yard. Luckily I had some good friends at the time who were keen to help me get on the road. They helped me acquire both bikes and make one good working first bike a 125 Suzuki marauder. It was lacking in a lot of things but I loved it all the same because it cost near to nothing and well, it was built and revived. Sadly an artic decided to pull out on me suddenly which led it to being written off well and truly a year or so later. The middle pic is the end result.

I hope you didn't get too badly hurt in the accident. Enjoy your new CBR

First bike I bought was CBR400RR Japanese import in black (awesome for a first bike, it was love at first sight), but before I was riding SR125, DT125 some Suzuki 50cc scooter which I don't remember the model :lol: also a 90cc Honda kick-through pizza delivery bike and I think that's it. :scratch: