Slow Riding

2wheeltrundel

I was out on my Suzuki EN125 today just visiting a relative and decided to come home via some quiet country lanes ,this is the sort of riding I enjoy the most just quietly plodding along narrow lanes going just as slow as I like no one else around ,what I don't enjoy is fast riding not that I can go very fast on a 125 ,but I suppose pushing it a bit ,if I am planning a route I try and plot it down country lanes and do it at a leisurely pace ,I don't really consider myself a motorcyclist because I don't fit the usual mould of fast sports bike and loving speed ,BUT I do love owning my 125 ,tinkering with it and riding it as stated above ,so am I alone in this or are there others that also enjoy slow riding ,maybe its one of those secret hidden pleasures (guilty pleasure )

that no one talks about ,cycling culture has a"slow cycling" movement to it ,but does motorcycling .

I also enjoy riding at a more relaxed pace on occasions. There's no rule to say you have to ride everywhere flat out. Sure it's fun when you're in the mood and the roads are clean. But there's something deeply refreshing in a chilled ride when you're not in a hurry.

Plus it makes the ride last longer. There are times I just don't want to reach my destination, so making it last is good.

I'll ride slow if the conditions warrant it but I can't say I actually enjoy riding slowly nor deliberately set out to ride slowly. That said I don't go hooning around the countryside all the time. I like to think I ride sensibly albeit with a fairly liberal definition of sensible.

I prefer to explore round the country roads and small villages most of the time, the only time i will give it some beans is if i need to be somewhere which is very rare on the bike :lol: :thumb:

Sometimes on a nice sunny day I'm heading down a quiet a road, no traffic around, you can just take in the sights and sounds then BRAAAAPPPPPP!!! Nope, can't control myself.

Of course you're a motorcyclist . If you are out there enjoying yourself on a bike with an engine that's all you need . The advantage of going slow is that you get to ride for longer to get to the same destination as the fast riders . Motorcycling is like a mirror of society complete with all its perceived hierarchical structures but the key to happiness is to be content within oneself .

the only time i will give it some beans is if i need to be somewhere

Giving due consideration to the bikes you have..........what exactly are these "beans" of which you speak?

whagiphy.gif.9f275fdb02949877fecc2b6a592849b7.gif

the only time i will give it some beans is if i need to be somewhere

Giving due consideration to the bikes you have..........what exactly are these "beans" of which you speak?

turbo-bike-just-add-beans-2.gif

I agree with everyone else, I like taking my time on the bike, taking in the sights and enjoying the freedom of not having the kids around but the minute there's a straight and/or clear road I'm off! after driving cars for 13 years before getting my bike license, it always amazes me how I can go from a crawl to the speed limit in a split second

Nothing wrong with it at all. I've seen a lot of riders put off riding for life, having emotional breakdowns at the side of the road because they've scared themselves past the point it's fun and makes you nervous giggle due to going out riding with the wrong group. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for riding in groups and done right it improves safety and the fun factor. I think it comes down to what bike you have. It not fun, in fact it's painful riding a sport bike at 40 or 50 mph. There's a reason you want to get to the next stop quickly and it's mainly so you can get off it and return blood flow to your whole body.

When the small group (3 usually) I ride in started out we had cruisers and often went on 125/learner friendly rideouts because you can sit on those things at 20mph if you need to and still be loving it but generally the pace would be 40 to 50. You'd always get a couple of "heroes" turn up to the clearly advertised 125 FRIENDLY RIDE, because some people prefer to be the big fish in the small pond. They'd be givn the drop off job so they could "race" from the back to the front of the pack repeatedly or if they were a total weapon we'd just take the piss out of their clearly angle grinder ground knee sliders until they went on their way.

When we switched into more touring based bikes, Africa Twin for me, we stopped doing those rides. It became a bit boring. We weren't going much faster most of the time but those kind of bikes whilst comfortable at slow speeds encourage a bit more enthusiasm.

We we all be back on cruisers this year albeit slightly more nimble mountain road friendly ones so will look to organise some Sunday plods ourselves as some of my best motorcycling memories are from these. As well as being fun I think it's also nice to be able to include newer and less confident riders as I know I appreciated this when I first did my CBT.

If you're ever visiting South Wales I'd be happy to trundle around with you. 👍

When I first got my motorbike yes all the time. But then slowly but surely it was all about going faster and faster. I did use to enjoy cycling all over the countryside on my push bike. Spent 8 hours going to London and back once.

My heroine is Itchy Boots" on You Tube. She Rides a Royal Enfield Himalian, currently up through South America. Its bigger but a slow and steady bike. There's plenty of time for looking around.