Slow Riding

Motorbike related? Can't find what you're looking for below? Then post here!!
2wheeltrundel
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 6 times

Slow Riding

Post by 2wheeltrundel » Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:10 pm

I was out on my Suzuki EN125 today just visiting a relative and decided to come home via some quiet country lanes ,this is the sort of riding I enjoy the most just quietly plodding along narrow lanes going just as slow as I like no one else around ,what I don't enjoy is fast riding not that I can go very fast on a 125 ,but I suppose pushing it a bit ,if I am planning a route I try and plot it down country lanes and do it at a leisurely pace ,I don't really consider myself a motorcyclist because I don't fit the usual mould of fast sports bike and loving speed ,BUT I do love owning my 125 ,tinkering with it and riding it as stated above ,so am I alone in this or are there others that also enjoy slow riding ,maybe its one of those secret hidden pleasures (guilty pleasure )
that no one talks about ,cycling culture has a"slow cycling" movement to it ,but does motorcycling .

Up to 25% off insurance Click here for more info

XTreme
Bike(s): Suzuki V-Strom 650
Has liked: 1256 times
Been liked: 1728 times

Re: Slow Riding

Post by XTreme » Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:18 pm

Ride at the pace you feel comfortable with........just make sure you're smooth.

Mississippi Bullfrog
Subscriber
Bike(s): Honda CBF500 ABS Triumph Bobber
Has liked: 528 times
Been liked: 1514 times

Post by Mississippi Bullfrog » Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:05 pm

I also enjoy riding at a more relaxed pace on occasions. There's no rule to say you have to ride everywhere flat out. Sure it's fun when you're in the mood and the roads are clean. But there's something deeply refreshing in a chilled ride when you're not in a hurry.

Plus it makes the ride last longer. There are times I just don't want to reach my destination, so making it last is good.
Honda CBF500 ABS
Triumph Bobber

S-Westerly
Subscriber
Bike(s): Ducati Multistrada 950
Has liked: 1481 times
Been liked: 646 times

Post by S-Westerly » Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:29 am

I'll ride slow if the conditions warrant it but I can't say I actually enjoy riding slowly nor deliberately set out to ride slowly. That said I don't go hooning around the countryside all the time. I like to think I ride sensibly albeit with a fairly liberal definition of sensible.
Less empty roads but at last I can ride them!

dynax
Subscriber
Bike(s): Xena, Bridget,
Has liked: 1334 times
Been liked: 793 times

Post by dynax » Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:54 am

I prefer to explore round the country roads and small villages most of the time, the only time i will give it some beans is if i need to be somewhere which is very rare on the bike :lol: :thumb:

geofferz
Subscriber
Bike(s): Yamaha mt10
Has liked: 955 times
Been liked: 564 times

Post by geofferz » Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:01 am

Sometimes on a nice sunny day I'm heading down a quiet a road, no traffic around, you can just take in the sights and sounds then BRAAAAPPPPPP!!! Nope, can't control myself.
Spanker of cyclists' arses

fastbob
Bike(s): Harley Davidson 1200 Roadster
Has liked: 2798 times
Been liked: 2957 times

Post by fastbob » Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:13 am

Of course you're a motorcyclist . If you are out there enjoying yourself on a bike with an engine that's all you need . The advantage of going slow is that you get to ride for longer to get to the same destination as the fast riders . Motorcycling is like a mirror of society complete with all its perceived hierarchical structures but the key to happiness is to be content within oneself .

XTreme

Post by XTreme » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:03 am

dynax wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:54 am
the only time i will give it some beans is if i need to be somewhere
Giving due consideration to the bikes you have..........what exactly are these "beans" of which you speak?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dynax
Subscriber
Bike(s): Xena, Bridget,
Has liked: 1334 times
Been liked: 793 times

Post by dynax » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:18 am

XTreme wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:03 am
dynax wrote:
Giving due consideration to the bikes you have..........what exactly are these "beans" of which you speak?

XTreme

Post by XTreme » Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:19 am

dynax wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:18 am
XTreme wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:03 am
dynax wrote:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=72086

QBoiii
Bike(s): YZF600R
Has liked: 83 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by QBoiii » Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:01 pm

I agree with everyone else, I like taking my time on the bike, taking in the sights and enjoying the freedom of not having the kids around but the minute there's a straight and/or clear road I'm off! after driving cars for 13 years before getting my bike license, it always amazes me how I can go from a crawl to the speed limit in a split second

2wheeltrundel
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by 2wheeltrundel » Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:42 pm

Certainly agree with others that going slow makes the ride last longer, it is about the journey and not the destination that matters.

FallingDown
Subscriber
Bike(s): CRF250 Rally - Streetbob
Has liked: 170 times
Been liked: 241 times

Post by FallingDown » Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:19 pm

Nothing wrong with it at all. I've seen a lot of riders put off riding for life, having emotional breakdowns at the side of the road because they've scared themselves past the point it's fun and makes you nervous giggle due to going out riding with the wrong group. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for riding in groups and done right it improves safety and the fun factor. I think it comes down to what bike you have. It not fun, in fact it's painful riding a sport bike at 40 or 50 mph. There's a reason you want to get to the next stop quickly and it's mainly so you can get off it and return blood flow to your whole body.
When the small group (3 usually) I ride in started out we had cruisers and often went on 125/learner friendly rideouts because you can sit on those things at 20mph if you need to and still be loving it but generally the pace would be 40 to 50. You'd always get a couple of "heroes" turn up to the clearly advertised 125 FRIENDLY RIDE, because some people prefer to be the big fish in the small pond. They'd be givn the drop off job so they could "race" from the back to the front of the pack repeatedly or if they were a total weapon we'd just take the piss out of their clearly angle grinder ground knee sliders until they went on their way.

When we switched into more touring based bikes, Africa Twin for me, we stopped doing those rides. It became a bit boring. We weren't going much faster most of the time but those kind of bikes whilst comfortable at slow speeds encourage a bit more enthusiasm.

We we all be back on cruisers this year albeit slightly more nimble mountain road friendly ones so will look to organise some Sunday plods ourselves as some of my best motorcycling memories are from these. As well as being fun I think it's also nice to be able to include newer and less confident riders as I know I appreciated this when I first did my CBT.

If you're ever visiting South Wales I'd be happy to trundle around with you. 👍

gymwitch
Bike(s): Honda cbr 125
Has liked: 383 times
Been liked: 185 times

Post by gymwitch » Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:53 pm

Im on a 125 and i enjoy a plod too. I like to take in my surroundings and just chill sometimes 🙂
I'm fat but identify as skinny...i'm trans-slender :D

XTreme

Post by XTreme » Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:58 pm

2wheeltrundel wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:42 pm
going slow makes the ride last longer
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Motorbike Chat”