Glasses or contacts.

Spongefinger

Hi all,

My biking experience so far only consists of my CBT but I wear glasses and found them to be a bit of a pain with a helmet. What did glasses wearers here do just leave it and get used to it or go to contact lenses for riding ?

Cheers.

Everyone will have different preferences.

I have tried both and ended up sticking with glass and a flip front helmet. My reasons are that I don't really get on with contacts very well and I had an experience of grit getting into one whilst riding. Glasses are less convenient, but for me more comfortable and if I ride with my visor open I've still got some eye protection.

I think most people prefer contacts though and if you're comfortable wearing them I can see why. They just make my eyes dry - and that after 10 years of trying them.

If you do end up wearing glasses then a flip front helmet makes all the difference.

I have tried both and ended up sticking with glass and a flip front helmet. My reasons are that I don't really get on with contacts very well and I had an experience of grit getting into one whilst riding. Glasses are less convenient, but for me more comfortable and if I ride with my visor open I've still got some eye protection.

I think most people prefer contacts though and if you're comfortable wearing them I can see why. They just make my eyes dry - and that after 10 years of trying them.

If you do end up wearing glasses then a flip front helmet makes all the difference.

Cheers Mississippi. I prefer to wear glasses as same as you contacts make my eyes dry and itchy. I have bought myself a flip up helmet to do my DAS with pretty sure I'll just forget about the glasses after a while .

I'll go along with MBF. I've tried contacts but not admittedly the newer disposable type and didn't get on with them. I wear glasses and a flip lid helmet and find it's good for me. With a decent pinlock and ventilation I don't find they steam up either.

I tried some vireo focal contact lenses, initially l thought great until l had one move on me whilst batting up the motorway resulting blurred vision and a panic stop not recommended.

I tried some vireo focal contact lenses, initially l thought great until l had one move on me whilst batting up the motorway resulting blurred vision and a panic stop not recommended.

That was one of my concerns I've had lenses shift around back of eye I'm guessing not a great experience doing 70 on motorway also forget they are in and rub my eyes.

I Wear glasses and contact.

Now prefer glasses as I now need varifocals.

Can’t get on with vari contacts and with single vision contacts can’t see the dash and SatNav.

Guest Richzx6r

I too just wear glasses with a flip lid as it's just easier imo

This is an interesting thread.

Everyone will, of course, have their own experiences and preferences. Mine is that, having had issues when wearing glasses on the bike I now always wear contacts on the bike. I would occasionally forget about my glasses when putting my helmet on or taking it off ( :oops: !!) and riding in the dark when it rained was very difficult for me.

Contact lenses solved these issues for me and my preference is for daily disposables.

When I came to need varifocal glasses, my optician came up with two different prescriptions for my contact lenses. My dominant eye gets a lens for distance, the other eye gets a lens for reading. Sounds strange, but works very well. I don't know how or why it works, but the human brain is a wonderful thing :) . While on the bike I can read number plates and the bike's "clocks" without any difficulty.

While touring I carry more lenses than I should need, although I usually use less than one pair per day because I will often wear my glasses for non-riding days. I also pack a spare pair of glasses - you never know .....

I wear both contacts and glasses. If I’m doing a shortish journey, like into work I’ll wear my glasses, but if I’m going out out I’ll stick contacts in. Also different helmets fit glasses better than others. My Arai has cut outs in the lining for the arms of my glasses whereas my AGV did not. Things like that make it a lot comfier for glasses!

I forgot to mention two things. One is that I sail and my optician told me never to wear contacts if water can get into your eye. Apparently it can cause an infection which is very destructive to eye tissue. Whether road spray can do the same I don't know. But it's worth bearing in mind if riding in the wet wearing contacts.

The other is that some years ago, before I had a flip front helmet, I had to open the visor to remove my glasses before I could take the helmet off. Riding home in heavy snow I kept wiping the visor not realising that ice was building up on the visor hinge points. When I got home I walked into the house and the visor instantly misted up. But it was frozen shut. So I couldn't see and I couldn't take the helmet off.

My wife found me in the shower wearing a crash helmet and my leathers trying to melt the ice. It took a bit of explaining.

Glasses! Only needed to start wearing them on the bike fairly recently though!

Don't have an issue with that as most of the 70's I had sunglasses on to try and look cool......legacy of Easy Rider! 8-)

If you wear glasses for long enough you will develop permanent grooves in the sides of your head which effectively solves the comfort issue . Oh , and if anyone still has their eyesight and would like some cool Biker Shades , don't go throwing away your hard earned petrol money on expensive Oakleys . Just nip into B&Q and grab a pair of tinted safety glasses . Cheap as chips !

Screenshot_20200312-081257.thumb.png.008df34b0a48451f9e81727def38ce72.png

Hi all,

My biking experience so far only consists of my CBT but I wear glasses and found them to be a bit of a pain with a helmet. What did glasses wearers here do just leave it and get used to it or go to contact lenses for riding ?

Cheers.

Hi yes i wear glasses, cant get on with contacts so i have a flip front helmet with pinlock. Seems fine and i ride at night and in the rain.

I found my glasses fogged up sometimes so just give them a quick wash in washing up liquid before i go. Jobs a gud un 👍 my hubs has glasses with straight sides due to his funny (but lovely) shaped head. He struggled with the normal over ear ones even with his flip front helmet.

My glasses have bendy arms so i find them ok.

prescription helmet visors, theres a thought.

Yeah there is a though think now much the helmet manufactures would charge for them...

At the moment I am not blind enough to wear glasses when driving but the day will come :?

I wear glasses for work, pc screen gives me headaches and I'm shortsighted.

I wear glasses mostly unless I'm in the gym.

I see better with glasses than contacts so I prefer that.

Some manufacturers have cut a groove into the helmet lining to allow glasses to fit easier. My hjc lid has it. Works fine, no issues.

Downside is as has been mentioned, rain and snow. Rain will get on your specs and you wont be able to wipe them clean whilst riding.

Specs will fog up too in the cold which is a real pain.

Any solutions out there for that?

prescription helmet visors, theres a thought.

Yeah there is a though think now much the helmet manufactures would charge for them...

At the moment I am not blind enough to wear glasses when driving but the day will come :?

Can you imagine someone with a real strong prescription wearing a helmet with a prescription visor. They would have a massive magnified face. Just cruising along freaking everyone out with their huge head